St. Edward Basketball 22/23

Good win over Spire last night at the Nest. This was not the same Spire that came to Lakewood a few years ago with Lamelo Ball and Rocket Watts. They listed about 15 kids on the printed roster, but only brought 9 and dressed 8. Not sure where the rest of the team was... maybe they thought they didn't need em all? From my memory, they brought the following kids (Hill didn't Dress) + 6'9 Abdou Yadd who started but wasn't on the print out. None of these guys appear to be major DI recuits as of now (Big 10, ACC, etc), but most did appear to be DI type kids. Eagles got out fast and blasted them in Q1, leading 28-9 after 1. Q2 was much more competitive, with the Eagles going into half up 22 I believe. Spire came out in a zone that gave the Eagles trouble in the second half, and allowed Spire to do less running around on D. At one point late in 3rd, Spire cut it to 9, but that was as close as they got. Ukize Nshungu left in the first half with a very painful looking arm/shoulder injury. Hopefully nothing serious. He's been a key reserve for the Eagles.

1674057379241.png

Impressive performance by the Eagles. Spire has serious talent and a real vertical game. Dunked like crazy, yet Eds kept their composure. It seemed like someone always made a big shot to stop a run when needed, be it Grant, Henry or Perusek. Several great passes created scores. Garfield Hts. should be an interesting matchup.

St. Edward 56 Garfield Heights 48 in overtime at the Chet Mason Invitational. Nice comeback win by the Eagles against a tough Bulldog team. The Eagles were behind by seven points with three minutes left in the game. They trailed by three with eight seconds remaining before a Brevyn Coleman 3-pointer sent the game into overtime. In OT, Danny Lavelle hit five of six free throws, while Garfield Heights was held scoreless.

St. Edward 56 Garfield Heights 48 in overtime at the Chet Mason Invitational. Nice comeback win by the Eagles against a tough Bulldog team. The Eagles were behind by seven points with three minutes left in the game. They trailed by three with eight seconds remaining before a Brevyn Coleman 3-pointer sent the game into overtime. In OT, Danny Lavelle hit five of six free throws, while Garfield Heights was held scoreless.
Garfield Hts coach should have been kicked out after rushing the court near the end of the game. Security had to be called onto the court. Referees were terrible but no excuse for the coach’s behavior. This is the example we want for our children? Inexcusable!! Appreciate Coach Flannery when you see a fool like the Garfield Hts coach. Flannery made a fool of him in OT. With very few three pt. shots taken by GH during the game, they get first possession in OT and work the ball for about two minutes of the 4 minute OT, only to throw up an undisciplined off balance three. Bad coaching at a critical time. GH gave Ed’s their toughest game only to be letdown By their coach. Love Coach Flannery.

80-38. Shame how low Benedictine has fallen in basketball. The Eagles used to have some epic battles with the Bengals.

Solid win at St. V's, 65-59. Wendell Henry had an off night, but Max McClellan picked him up, hitting a couple big 3's. Cam Grant led with 18. Overall depth of the team on display tonight. Each good opponent, each environment, they craft a way to win. 15-0.

Solid win at St. V's, 65-59. Wendell Henry had an off night, but Max McClellan picked him up, hitting a couple big 3's. Cam Grant led with 18. Overall depth of the team on display tonight. Each good opponent, each environment, they craft a way to win. 15-0.
Nice win!

Twenty-five points from non-starters tonight. McClellan scored eight in the third quarter and Bussey tallied nine in the fourth. Those two players accounted for seventeen of the Eagles twenty-eight second half points.

Brevyn Coleman scored 20 points in the season opener against Medina. I think that’s the only game that an Eagle has reached twenty this season. Their scoring has been well distributed in most contests, often with three or four players in double figures.

Eagles now the clear favorite in D1. It's them and the "field." When is the last time a school won state titles in football, basketball & wrestling in the same schoolyear? I think probably never, but its a real possibility.

Eagles now the clear favorite in D1. It's them and the "field." When is the last time a school won state titles in football, basketball & wrestling in the same schoolyear? I think probably never, but its a real possibility.
This team has proven they are the real deal, and perhaps rightly D1 favorites. That being said, in a single elimination tournament vs the field, that might be 12 or 13% odds of winning a title. Will be a fun tournament for sure

Defense and depth travels. Not everyone had a good night. Flan trusts his bench. Scarpitti and Hargitt also did their jobs under pressure.After Brecksville, another big road test, they will have played just about the entire Cleveland.com's Top 10. Getting battle-tested.

This group has been fun to watch this year. Team ball at its finest. That being said, I’m sure Flan would tell you he’d like to see this team suffer some sort of defeat before heading into the tournament.

I enjoyed watching the game on Boxcast. The two Ed's Homer analysts with their knee-jerk reactive comments had me rolling. St Ed's is a well coached team. They're scrappy and fly to ball. Some very good long ball shooters. St Ed's, Centerville, and Pick. Central in the finals will make for some good hs basketball, can't wait.

I enjoyed watching the game on Boxcast. The two Ed's Homer analysts with their knee-jerk reactive comments had me rolling. St Ed's is a well coached team. They're scrappy and fly to ball. Some very good long ball shooters. St Ed's, Centerville, and Pick. Central in the finals will make for some good hs basketball, can't wait.
Only one homer. Mendoza does a good job.

Eagles' team play is impressive.
Another year of great coaching and team development by Flannery. He has been one of the very best in Ohio and is showing it again this season.
He's built a strong supporting cast around Cameron Grant (I believe - a Stanford commit)
Besides their team play, characteristics that I've noticed in games that I've watched of this team are outstanding 3 point shooting (by everyone, guards and 'bigs') and the Eagles get off to fast starts, which causes the opposing teams to press because of being in catch-up mode. The Eagles can withstand 'runs' and build back their leads

Big game this Friday across from Wendy's. Cats still have top 5 in state talent, and Sullivan is the toughest environment the Eagles will play in this year.

This group has been fun to watch this year. Team ball at its finest. That being said, I’m sure Flan would tell you he’d like to see this team suffer some sort of defeat before heading into the tournament.
The football loss @ Massillon was the spark that team needed this year. I think that loss was in the back of their minds in every game from there on out.

While I obviously don't want the Eagles to lose, sometimes it's not the end of the world. If they go into the tournament undefeated, all the pressure falls on them and every other team has even more motivation to knock off the perfect team. I think Centerville being undefeated going into the title game last year hurt them, it made Pick Central want it even more.

Whatever happens, this team has been such a pleasant surprise. They are fun to watch. A great chance tomorrow night to sweep the Cats in the regular season.

Agreed. Call complete pleasant surprise after graduation of Bova, Freer-Brown one other player who scored so well.

I'll be real surprised if this game is anything like their first matchup. Is Sullivan actually smaller than the Eagles Nest? It feels like it when these two play there, usually enhancing the intensity and pressure of the game. Just how it always feels to me.

Not the Eagles night tonight. Left way too many points on the table, missed FTs, silly turnovers late. A lot of rushing and sloppiness late in the game, not how they've looked all year. Thank goodness that wasn't a tournament game.

I can't say I'm afraid of Ignatius though. For how close it was, I was pretty bored and unimpressed by both teams tonight.

I'll be real surprised if this game is anything like their first matchup. Is Sullivan actually smaller than the Eagles Nest? It feels like it when these two play there, usually enhancing the intensity and pressure of the game. Just how it always feels to me.
I don't think the streams do it justice, Sullivan is a lot smaller. The walls are right up on the baseline. Sound bounces off the walls easily. Actually don't like the games there and not just because it's Ignatius, it's uncomfortable unless you get the Donovan Mitchell seats.

In their final eight games of the regular season, the Eagles will face five of the current cleveland.com Top Ten teams:

#2 Garfield Heights (11-1), Jan 22 @Brush (Chet Mason Invitational)
#3 St. Vincent – St. Mary (10-3), Jan 27 @STVM
#7 St. Ignatius (7-5), Feb 3 @Ignatius
#8 Brecksville – Broadview Heights (11-1), Feb 14 @Brecksville
#4 Richmond Heights (13-0), Feb 17 @St. Edward

Only the last game will be at home. That schedule should provide a great tune-up for the tournament.
The comments above were posted on January 14th. So far, the Eagles (17-1) are 2-1 against three of those five teams, with the last two to be played this week. The cleveland.com Top Ten rankings, team records and game results have been updated below:

#3 Garfield Heights (16-3), Jan 22 @Brush (Chet Mason Invitational); score: St. Edward 56, Garfield Hts 48 (OT)
#4 St. Vincent – St. Mary (14-5), Jan 27 @STVM; score: St. Edward 65-59
#6 St. Ignatius (15-6), Feb 3 @Ignatius; score: St. Ignatius 53, St. Edward 50
#8 Brecksville – Broadview Heights (18-2), Feb 14 @Brecksville; score: ?
#1 Richmond Heights (21-0), Feb 17 @St. Edward; score: ?

St. Edward’s is ranked #2.