St. Edward Basketball 22/23

sehs95

U.S. American
Eagles Basketball Home Page

1673534301675.png

Rosters
Roster.jpg

Last edited:

Good start to the season for the Eagle Cagers. Dominated the 4th quarter last night to get a nice road win over Brush. There are no stars on this team, but they have some depth and play great defense.

Good start to the season for the Eagle Cagers. Dominated the 4th quarter last night to get a nice road win over Brush. There are no stars on this team, but they have some depth and play great defense.
Sometimes Flan does his best work with these types of teams. The 2002 final four squad comes to mind.

He was my freshman year head coach in 92 and became varsity head coach I believe one or two years later.
He became the head coach mid-way through the 96 season. Head coach was a guy whose last name started with 'Z' - I think he came from Indian Valley HS in Gnaddenhutten. Some scandal from his past came to light and he resigned making way for Coach Flan to take over.

I watched Adam Mendoza's live broadcast of the Brush game. Thanks for all you do Adam! There may be no blue-chippers on the team, but it's rock solid with talented players who know their roles and play them very well. Perusek, Coleman and Scarpitti are all reliable floor generals. Grant and Henry are talented stretch 4s / 5s that can handle the ball up top, shoot 3's and/or post down low. Lavelle and Kulacs can get you clutch 3 pointers. Everyone plays tenacious defense! I especially noticed Sullivan forcing key turnovers.

Nice win against Mars Township (PA) last evening. Flannery has a well coached and disciplined team. While they lack the star power of prior squads, they all play within the scheme well. Unbelievable full court pressure last evening. Lucas Perusek is a real player and Brian Sullivan is a solid athlete that is a pesky defender. This team will surprise many this year.

Go Eagles!

He became the head coach mid-way through the 96 season. Head coach was a guy whose last name started with 'Z' - I think he came from Indian Valley HS in Gnaddenhutten. Some scandal from his past came to light and he resigned making way for Coach Flan to take over.
Flannery was not head coach in 95-96. There was an interim coach just before the 96 playoffs, Pete Novakovic. Flannery was named head coach in the offseason after that.

Was it Greg Zimmerman to start 95-96? He went on to coach college basketball (D2 or D3) for years, so whatever the controversy was from Indian Valley HS that caused him to leave St. Edward must not have been too bad.

Rivalry week.

St. Edward 6-0
St. Ignatius 5-4

The wildcats have had a tough schedule to start the year, most recently defeating SVSM 63-62. Eagles are off to a surprising 6-0 start with no superstars like past years. The annual holiday tournament in San Diego was cancelled, due to a cancelled flight.

Whats everyone’s prediction for the game? I believe it’s a home game for the eagles.

If I was a betting man, my money would be on Iggy to secure a win. However, home court and the rivalry will keep it close.

Go Eagles!

Deceiving record for the Cats. They’ve played a very tough schedule to date. The recent win over a very good STVM team tells you all you need to know about how good they can be. Hopefully the home court and crowd can tip this one in our favor.

St. Edward’s first-half defense was smothering, forcing seven Wildcat turnovers that led directly to Eagle layups. Eds tallied thirty in the second quarter, building a 25-point halftime lead.

Flannery seems to do his best when expectations are least. Very fun team to watch!
Agreed.

He hasn’t had the all-stars since 2014 yet he coaches defense and discipline with each team. I had no expectations this year after losing Bova, Knight and Zion and here they are at 7-0.

Too bad it’s not a football forum or you would hear way more talk about this team.

Great game by the Eagles, so glad I could attend the game. You never know what to expect when these two rivals play and I think Coach Flannery said it well during an interview after the game, we won by 20, but could lose by 20 when we play at Ignatius. Coach Flannery has done a great job of coaching over the years and, as they say, is a student of the game. Over the many years of coaching at St. Ed's he has brought in assistant coaches will lot's of experience and years of coaching. Coach learned a lot from those coaches and also from his time coaching the various USA teams. St. Ed's is fortunate to have Coach Flannery and his staff.

Great man to man defense, very aggressive. And great ball movement on offense that gave the Eagles lot's of good looks at the hoop. This team will be a lot of fun to watch this year and will hopefully have a great post season tournament.

Another quality win for the Eagles last night over Lutheran East. Back and forth game, but the Eagles kept their composure late in the 4th to win 66-61. This team plays defense like their hair is on fire for 32 minutes. Bloomfield Hills (MI) at the Eagles nest this Friday.

My first look at these Eagles. Interesting team. It seems that most years when they contend they have one or more great players, a Delvon Roe, a Sam Clancy or Steve Logan, a Kipper Nichols, a Rod Dieringer. This is a true team. It seems to me that Lutheran East has more talent, yet I'd take the Eagles in a rematch there or on a neutral floor. They really find each other on offense, and you're right sehs95, they do need to keep flammable hair products away on defense. It seems to me that Lavelle, Grant, Henry and most of the others made that marginal improvement from a year ago that you would hope for year-to-year. But I had no idea how explosive an athlete Perusek is. I'm guessing here is where a college recruiter could make his bones, factoring in what he might be basketball skill-wise had he not pursued being a football QB the previous three years. I'm also guessing the Perusek family wasn't real grateful for the existence and emergence of Casey Bullock, but Casey may have done him a great favor in helping him recognize in which sport his better future exists. Kid has some upside.

Eagles win again from a team out of Michigan. Simply amazed at what coach Flan had done with this team. The defensive pressure, passing and three point efficiency has been fun to watch.

Coach Flannery said it best in a tweet we scored 89 points and leading scorer had 13 points. It showed this team shares the ball. No big scorers on this team. But they play as a team

Thoughts go out to the young man from Bloomfield who was injured in the JV game. Scary moment.

Bloomfield had a couple nice players. #24 is a 1,000 point guy, and coach puts 6'6 Cam Grant on him in the first half - and that really gave him fits. He did get his points in the second half absent Grant hounding him. #10 was a Freshman and a heck of a player.

Last edited:
Spire Academy up next on Tuesday at St. Edward.
During last night's broadcast, Adam Mendoza said that St. Edward will be facing Spire's national team, not their high-school team. The national team beat down defending Division I state champion Pickerington Central 78-51 early this season. (Pick Central is a very good team that took Centerville to overtime last month.) So, the Eagles could be in for a long night.

In their final eight games of the regular season, the Eagles will face five of the current cleveland.com Top Ten teams:

#2 Garfield Heights (11-1), Jan 22 @Brush (Chet Mason Invitational)
#3 St. Vincent – St. Mary (10-3), Jan 27 @STVM
#7 St. Ignatius (7-5), Feb 3 @Ignatius
#8 Brecksville – Broadview Heights (11-1), Feb 14 @Brecksville
#4 Richmond Heights (13-0), Feb 17 @St. Edward

Only the last game will be at home. That schedule should provide a great tune-up for the tournament.

Last edited: