St. Edward 2023-24

I’m guessing Peterson and O’Brien are out of the lineup the way it shakes out next year. If the twins can’t hold their weight another year, Slaper may end up at 215, and Waugh is out. If Feister goes to Ed’s he should try and go HWT. He’s BIG, and he’s a football phenom who will want to put on some size. The only thing is, Mazur is a significant decline from Timar, so unless they get a freshman to come in to take that spot, they may not have anyone on the podium at that weight next year. We will see! They will cruise to the title next year, that’s all we know.
I could see Butler getting ousted also...Brown and Manns are better athletically and technically IMO. 106 was very weak in 2022, as it turns out the two biggest ( size wise) wrestlers made the finals then. The SC not coming close to placing at 132, and Butler navigating a relatively weak field at 120 to take fifth relying on a headlock to pull off a quarter final win then completely soundly beaten in a rematch...no one other than Blaze on the national radar remotely. He/they may find him a way in depending on how much everyone grows.

Can’t help but notice that the majority of posts in the St. Edward thread are from non St. Ed’s fans. This would never happen in the football or basketball threads. I guess we have gotten spoiled over the years.
Best HS wrestling room in the state and one of the best in the country. Consistent leadership, a willingness to commit to the process, and terrific competition (in room and during the season) is what allows this program to remain successful year after year. I was a freshman (1977) when the school won its 1st state title... a wrestling state championship. This program raised the bar for every other competitive sport program in the school, and then the academic program, that has allowed it to survive and then thrive over these past few decades.

Go Eagles!

My recollection, and I could be wrong, is they were set to wrestle at a tournament this year and one of them defaulted. Don’t @ me because I’m not 100% sure.
Not uncommon to have teammates default. Seibert defaulted to McBurney in the finals of the Rieman tourney in Delaware in January.

He would've been top 4, there is no way he lost a fair wrestle off. 1 of 2 things is going on there, 1. either they have way to much talent and they don't know what to do with it, or 2 they have one old man that's only there for 1 kid and soon to be 2 that's causing problems, get rid of the problem before you lose talent!!
Disrespectful to both kids, the program, the kids who actually wrestled at the weight, AND completely off the topic of this thread.

I’m guessing Peterson and O’Brien are out of the lineup the way it shakes out next year. If the twins can’t hold their weight another year, Slaper may end up at 215, and Waugh is out. If Feister goes to Ed’s he should try and go HWT. He’s BIG, and he’s a football phenom who will want to put on some size. The only thing is, Mazur is a significant decline from Timar, so unless they get a freshman to come in to take that spot, they may not have anyone on the podium at that weight next year. We will see! They will cruise to the title next year, that’s all we kn

Sad when wrestle offs come to this. I had plenty of wrestle offs in my day. If I lost, it was on me.
My Perry sources tell me some parents complain and are complete cukoo"s

Hopefully Eds ,What 4-5 school's in 2 years. Dad complaines they transfer over and over. Good luck!!
He's I believe in the Canton South program right now although I'm not sure, don't think he'll stay, though wouldn't be a bad fit, football program is good, head wrestling coach is really good upper weight coach, he immediately becomes a HWY contender next year, a concern is probably what you stated 4-5 schools in 2 years though Ed's HC would put daddy in his place immediately, and let's face it, does Ed's really need this potential problem with dad? I mean Ed's returns practically everybody

4D8F8928-4947-4FC2-8D74-719960911E48.jpeg

I could see Butler getting ousted also...Brown and Manns are better athletically and technically IMO. 106 was very weak in 2022, as it turns out the two biggest ( size wise) wrestlers made the finals then. The SC not coming close to placing at 132, and Butler navigating a relatively weak field at 120 to take fifth relying on a headlock to pull off a quarter final win then completely soundly beaten in a rematch...no one other than Blaze on the national radar remotely. He/they may find him a way in depending on how much everyone grows.
Sounds like someone is really hating on Butler. 2022 tournament is over.

I don’t think he is hating on Butler. I think it was a fair assessment of the weight class and Butler. I was on record saying after Blaze 120 was very weak weight class in D1. I would say over the last 15 years D1 120 has been one of the deepest weight classes every year. But this year for some reason there is a huge drop off after Blaze.
I thought Butler in the Ed’s room and with there coaches he would run away with the runner up trophy. Ed’s has a very deep room and I can see someone coming along and making a run at his spot. I have seen better kids sitting in a Ed’s lineup.

I’m guessing Peterson and O’Brien are out of the lineup the way it shakes out next year. If the twins can’t hold their weight another year, Slaper may end up at 215, and Waugh is out. If Feister goes to Ed’s he should try and go HWT. He’s BIG, and he’s a football phenom who will want to put on some size. The only thing is, Mazur is a significant decline from Timar, so unless they get a freshman to come in to take that spot, they may not have anyone on the podium at that weight next year. We will see! They will cruise to the title next year, that’s all we know.
If the twins hold their weight then Peterson is out of the lineup, just can’t see him making 57 again and even if he did Eaton being a football player will gain some weight. O’Brien will have a fight on his hands to keep his spot between him and Goldberg/Driscoll. I don’t see Feister going heavyweight, more likely Gregory goes heavy again and either Slaper or Feister goes 215 if he goes to St Ed’s. I haven’t see Mazur wrestle at all in over a year but he was always excellent and was a JH State champ, he should be real solid if he makes the lineup. Is Whitely a 9th grader next year? If so there’s your favorite to be the 106 imo.

You should relate being a "Brownsfan" Plenty of "hate" for them and their organization in forums ;) But of course you know forums are a place to exchange information, opinions etc etc. I don't think anyone who posts things that are TRUE, but not necessarily all about unicorns and chocolate candy are thinking those being discussed are on here reading about themselves.... I stand by my statement on 106 last year and 120 this year, Ive got plenty of data to validate that , from national rankings, to past Bracket strength, to placement ( or lack of ) in prestigious national tournaments ( Think Ironman x2 as a sophomore ) , to amount of losses as a returning SC or runner up in Ohio. Throw it all in a basket and shake it up and my statement is hard to debate, especially when you compare it to past wrestlers, weight classes. 2 x placer is still an "achievement" ....maybe he'll be a 4 x placer, but not all SC or placers are created equal and it's ok to understand that. I could list the national accolades, stronger opponents, Ironman placements of MANY former St Ed's runners up etc.....who were finishing up their sophomore year, no "hate" just reality.

I don’t think he is hating on Butler. I think it was a fair assessment of the weight class and Butler. I was on record saying after Blaze 120 was very weak weight class in D1. I would say over the last 15 years D1 120 has been one of the deepest weight classes every year. But this year for some reason there is a huge drop off after Blaze.
I thought Butler in the Ed’s room and with there coaches he would run away with the runner up trophy. Ed’s has a very deep room and I can see someone coming along and making a run at his spot. I have seen better kids sitting in a Ed’s lineup.
Even back when it was 119 it would be stacked a lot. I remember it always being upperclassmen heavy. Lots of Jr./Sr. past placers that couldn't make 103/112 anymore.

Even back when it was 119 it would be stacked a lot. I remember it always being upperclassmen heavy. Lots of Jr./Sr. past placers that couldn't make 103/112 anymore.
100% Everything is cyclical. 119 weight class in the late 90's-2000 was ranked #1 nationally. The son of former Oklahoma coach Jack Spates wrestled in PA Winning 2 State championships at 119 was #1 I believe. He beat the 125 and 130 and 135 pound state champs during the year in PA which in that state is incredible. . Also had Chris Fleegler from PA who placed in senior FS. Several years 119 was a top 3 weightless nationally.

All Butler has done is start for two years at Ed's and place twice at the state tournament. I expect him to be the starter at 132 at the expense of Sanderfer. I see Kade Brown at 138.

If the twins hold their weight then Peterson is out of the lineup, just can’t see him making 57 again and even if he did Eaton being a football player will gain some weight. O’Brien will have a fight on his hands to keep his spot between him and Goldberg/Driscoll. I don’t see Feister going heavyweight, more likely Gregory goes heavy again and either Slaper or Feister goes 215 if he goes to St Ed’s. I haven’t see Mazur wrestle at all in over a year but he was always excellent and was a JH State champ, he should be real solid if he makes the lineup. Is Whitely a 9th grader next year? If so there’s your favorite to be the 106 imo.
I heard Millers were not cutting and are expected to repeat at the same weights. I agree Eaton would project at 157 and I would have him winning over Petersen.

I expect Bennett at 150 based his growth trajectory so far and that of his brother before him.

All Butler has done is start for two years at Ed's and place twice at the state tournament. I expect him to be the starter at 132 at the expense of Sanderfer. I see Kade Brown at 138.
I understand his “resume” i wont get into comparing others, or strength of weight class ,number of losses as a return runner up etc ..anyways He’s not beating Brown and will be no shoe in against an improved Sanderfer and I would definitely not count Manns out should he fill out. He’s cut a lot of weight in 2 years already, it will be interesting.

Why is this so sad? I had at a half dozen coaches ask me to officiate wrestle offs to avoid any question of bias. I thought it was an excellent idea and took it very seriously.
That it has come to this. I never said it was wrong, just cant beleive this is where we are at.

That it has come to this. I never said it was wrong, just cant beleive this is where we are at.
Which way is it? On one hand you say you "can't believe this is where we're at". Which certainly doesn't sound very positive. Then you say "I never said it was wrong", which certainly doesn't seem negative. Kind of a mixed message to me.

Which way is it? On one hand you say you "can't believe this is where we're at". Which certainly doesn't sound very positive. Then you say "I never said it was wrong", which certainly doesn't seem negative. Kind of a mixed message to me.
Yes, I cant beleive this is where we are at. It is what it is. Years ago, in our wrestling room, we had 2, 2x state champs wrestling off. Coaches reffed the match and there was no issue. Obviously, times have changed.

Did you wrestle at an elite program? If you did then you should know. There’s a lot on the line…college recruiting significantly ups the ante.