St. Edward 2020-21

By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net
The 2020 State Duals Champion (and defending 2019 Duals and Tournament Champion) St. Edward wrestling released its schedule for the 2020-21 season Tuesday.
The best in Ohio will go up against the top two teams in the country in Blair Academy and Wyoming Seminary Jan. 23 in Pennsylvania. This season the Eagles were the only team that wrestled No. 1 and No. 2 back-to-back on the same day.
The season will start at home Dec. 5 in a quad with Beavercreek, Perry Township, and Westerville North. That will be followed by the nationally prestigious Iron Man Tournament Dec. 11-12 in Cuyahoga Falls, hosted by Walsh Jesuit.
Five days later will be the annual rivalry dual against St. Ignatius in Ohio City. The past two seasons the Eagles shut out the Wildcats.
During the New Year’s weekend, the Eagles will be in the Powerade Tournament, which is also in Pennsylvania, billed as the toughest tourney in PA and second-toughest in the US.
The Eagles will stay on the road Jan. 9 at Ohio Division II power Graham with Milan Edison.
Exactly one week later they will still be on the road at the Detroit Catholic Central Duals, but will not wrestle DCC, just some of other teams that will be there.
That’s followed exactly one week later in Pennsylvania against Blair and WS.
Finally, the Eagles will return home Jan. 30 to wrestle DCC and St. Vincent-St. Mary. DCC is one of the top five ranked teams in the country and St. Ed’s the top 10.
The next two weeks will be the Regional and State Duals. The Eagles have won all at Regionals since this format began and States five times.
The Sectionals will be Feb. 27, followed by Districts and States the next two weeks.

By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net
The 2020 State Duals Champion (and defending 2019 Duals and Tournament Champion) St. Edward wrestling released its schedule for the 2020-21 season Tuesday.
The best in Ohio will go up against the top two teams in the country in Blair Academy and Wyoming Seminary Jan. 23 in Pennsylvania. This season the Eagles were the only team that wrestled No. 1 and No. 2 back-to-back on the same day.
The season will start at home Dec. 5 in a quad with Beavercreek, Perry Township, and Westerville North. That will be followed by the nationally prestigious Iron Man Tournament Dec. 11-12 in Cuyahoga Falls, hosted by Walsh Jesuit.
Five days later will be the annual rivalry dual against St. Ignatius in Ohio City. The past two seasons the Eagles shut out the Wildcats.
During the New Year’s weekend, the Eagles will be in the Powerade Tournament, which is also in Pennsylvania, billed as the toughest tourney in PA and second-toughest in the US.
The Eagles will stay on the road Jan. 9 at Ohio Division II power Graham with Milan Edison.
Exactly one week later they will still be on the road at the Detroit Catholic Central Duals, but will not wrestle DCC, just some of other teams that will be there.
That’s followed exactly one week later in Pennsylvania against Blair and WS.
Finally, the Eagles will return home Jan. 30 to wrestle DCC and St. Vincent-St. Mary. DCC is one of the top five ranked teams in the country and St. Ed’s the top 10.
The next two weeks will be the Regional and State Duals. The Eagles have won all at Regionals since this format began and States five times.
The Sectionals will be Feb. 27, followed by Districts and States the next two weeks.
Its no secret ed's has owned iggy since that 1988 title Iggy ripped from Ed's by the Collins brothers, Joe Bryan and Mike Buddie but do you have to single us out?

Its no secret ed's has owned iggy since that 1988 title Iggy ripped from Ed's by the Collins brothers, Joe Bryan and Mike Buddie but do you have to single us out?
I don't recall that Joe Bryan was on that team. I believe the 4 that went to Columbus were Joe, Marty, Mike Buddie and either Vogt (sp?) or Roche. Joe and Marty were and continue to be unique.

it would make sense for Neves to do 182. Ed's has nobody at that weight next year.
He is going 170 to bump out Hightower, Neves could win at 170 but not 182. St.Eds would put him at 170 because he can beat rizzo and Norwood handily which are the two biggest threats to them team wise at 170.

Your son lost in the state finals to Saint Ignatius’s DiCamillo with class the day of and to this day. You should learn some honor from your son, Iggy runs things a little different than Eds, they get talent and improve them. Eds gets very high talent and improves them, doesn’t mean they are better, look at you.

I know a lot of rumors get started from who knows where, but if neves does go to eds then that lineup would definitely win both state tournaments. I guess we will find out in august.

I don't recall that Joe Bryan was on that team. I believe the 4 that went to Columbus were Joe, Marty, Mike Buddie and either Vogt (sp?) or Roche. Joe and Marty were and continue to be unique.
It might have been T or Sean(i think Sean was still wrestling). Its been awhile and I wouldnt know where to find state qualifiers from that year. Buddie was amazing to watch matchup with guys that were just monsters and he would just frustrate the hell out of them into something he could capitalize on. Probably best athlete I ever saw. Joe and Marty were a fiasco waiting to happen and it didnt matter if you were in between class or out at a party, they had mayhem in mind.

He is going 170 to bump out Hightower, Neves could win at 170 but not 182. St.Eds would put him at 170 because he can beat rizzo and Norwood handily which are the two biggest threats to them team wise at 170.
My guess is Hightower will do whats best for the team especially if he has college lined up for the following year. I dont care about OAC jr high expected placement my money would be on Hightower still.

Reactions: Woo
It might have been T or Sean(i think Sean was still wrestling). Its been awhile and I wouldnt know where to find state qualifiers from that year. Buddie was amazing to watch matchup with guys that were just monsters and he would just frustrate the hell out of them into something he could capitalize on. Probably best athlete I ever saw. Joe and Marty were a fiasco waiting to happen and it didnt matter if you were in between class or out at a party, they had mayhem in mind.
Mike was one heck of an athlete. If I remember correctly he was a quarterback and had a heck of a fastball ! Joe and Marty were also awesome athletes. Hard nose guys that were just .. well... wild.
I don’t see another state placer from Iggy in 1988. Just checked Osgood’s book.

My guess is Hightower will do whats best for the team especially if he has college lined up for the following year. I dont care about OAC jr high expected placement my money would be on Hightower still.
Looking back the past 5 years, there were no freshman placers, in D1, for weights 160-182 (only weights I looked at) And very few freshman qualifiers in those middle weights. Odds are against a freshman making an impact in those weights and I’d go with Hightower as well.

Love new talent coming in. Lets see how it goes with Hightower, Geog, & Gallagher in your face every day :) This room is the real deal...as it always has been.

We are all a little bored but this line up should be pretty close to what we will see Dec 6th.
06 Tohati, Sanderfer, Bennett or Brown
13 Richter
20 Seefeldt
26 Elmore, Androsik or Hopkins
32 Delsanter/Kralick/Durbin
38 Delsanter/Kralick/Durbin
45 West or Croston
52 Bennett
60 Paddy
70 Geog
82 Hightower
95 Rios,Dashiell, Klibane or Slaper
20 Vlcek, Slaper
Hwy Robinson or Cox

We might see 4 Freshman in this line up before the 20-21 season is over.

We are all a little bored but this line up should be pretty close to what we will see Dec 6th.
06 Tohati, Sanderfer, Bennett or Brown
13 Richter
20 Seefeldt
26 Elmore, Androsik or Hopkins
32 Delsanter/Kralick/Durbin
38 Delsanter/Kralick/Durbin
45 West or Croston
52 Bennett
60 Paddy
70 Geog
82 Hightower
95 Rios,Dashiell, Klibane or Slaper
20 Vlcek, Slaper
Hwy Robinson or Cox

We might see 4 Freshman in this line up before the 20-21 season is over.
Geog up to 170lbs. I don't see him putting on that kind of weight. Hightower will stay at 170. Geog will stay at 145

Last edited:
Dumb, No. proud, yes. Do you know how hard it is to get into an Ivy League school. I guess I need to be clearer. Congratulations St Edward on placing another student athlete in an Ivy League school. What dont you understand? Congratulations to the Hightower family. I hope they add a 4th individual title to the family trophy case.

What is the Ed's lineup looking like today? Who's challenging for state titles? Will anyone push them for the team title?

According to Huge Ed's will be hosting a quad (on the Saturday that would have been the state duals) Elyria, Wadsworth and Dublin Coffman. My understanding is Brecksville was invited but declined. This will determine the best D1 team in Ohio.
How awesome would it be if that was the top brackect with Graham,Louisville,Edison andLegacy Christian in the Bottom brackect.winner take all!!great pay per view!

More like 18 months older.
Multiple kids across the state and the nation may be the older ones in their class. Fact is they are eligible so quit whining. It is the same as families with brainiac children who hold their kids back so they can test higher with a more developed brain. Less hate, more appreciate.