St. Edward 2020-21

Press release: The inquirer just posted that Russia 10x Sombo world Champion is moving to Lakewood and is enrolling as a Freshman!!!! On the first day of school, we will all hear who is going. That’s it folks. It’s great that a bunch of people jump on here and voice an opinion on who they think is going but until it happens I don’t buy it. You may be a parent, you may be 100% committed to sending your son but in this day and age, situations change as we have all seen in the last few weeks.

So 75% of the public schools have an open enroll policy but you still can’t get past the superior coaching so you slander a great program? SMH

All public schools have open enrollment. It's whether they make you pay to open enroll there or the Superintendent waives the fee. I've heard that Graham is going to stop waiving the fee as they cannot pass levies.

All public schools have open enrollment. It's whether they make you pay to open enroll there or the Superintendent waives the fee. I've heard that Graham is going to stop waiving the fee as they cannot pass levies.
I think you are confused with what open enrollment is...

I think you are confused with what open enrollment is...

Okay - just going by what I have been told by people that are intimately familiar with the process. I guess neither he, nor I should have used the term open enrollment. I know that by Joe Daugherty's link that our school district does not have "open enrollment" as defined by the Ohio Dept of Education, but I do know that a student can enroll in our school district for around $16K per year.

Last edited:
Okay - just going by what I have been told by people that are intimately familiar with the process. I guess neither he, nor I should have used the term open enrollment. I know that by Joe Daugherty's link that our school district does not have "open enrollment" as defined by the Ohio Dept of Education, but I do know that a student can enroll in our school district for around $16K per year.

Open enrollment means that the student/family are free to enroll at the school with no fees, provided they can transport the student as the school is not obliged to pick up/take kid home. If a child open enrolls to a school, the school takes the tax money the district of residency would have gotten if the student attended their home school.

I made a correct statement. 75% of the public schools are open enroll. There are different levels of open enroll as well. I believe they are state wide, adjacent districts etc. my point in original statement was there are a Lot of public schools that use open enroll to get athletes to come to their schools. So the argument that private schools have advantage of a public school is not really a valid argument anymore. Especially when you open enroll in a school district “typically “ maybe not in your case, the parent wouldn’t have to pay tuition. The state does. At private schools it can cost a lot . Ed’s is up to 17k a year or more ? US has to be well over 20k ?

Everyone on this forum knows that ST PARIS Graham is a PRIVATE school!!!! It is NOT OPEN ENROLLMENT!!! We talked about this for YEARS!!!

I made a correct statement. 75% of the public schools are open enroll. There are different levels of open enroll as well. I believe they are state wide, adjacent districts etc. my point in original statement was there are a Lot of public schools that use open enroll to get athletes to come to their schools. So the argument that private schools have advantage of a public school is not really a valid argument anymore. Especially when you open enroll in a school district “typically “ maybe not in your case, the parent wouldn’t have to pay tuition. The state does. At private schools it can cost a lot . Ed’s is up to 17k a year or more ? US has to be well over 20k ?

Actually, 70.7% of districts are open enrollment to be exact ?. Yet, only 3 districts in Cuyahoga County are open enrollment (Cleveland and Chagrin Falls are full open enrollment, and Cuyahoga Hts which only allows students from adjacent districts). Find it funny how Cuyahoga is not on board with it. Grew up in Cuyahoga county and never heard of open enrollment until I started teaching outside Cuyahoga county.

Actually, 70.7% of districts are open enrollment to be exact ?. Yet, only 3 districts in Cuyahoga County are open enrollment (Cleveland and Chagrin Falls are full open enrollment, and Cuyahoga Hts which only allows students from adjacent districts). Find it funny how Cuyahoga is not on board with it. Grew up in Cuyahoga county and never heard of open enrollment until I started teaching outside Cuyahoga county.
My apologies for the incorrect figures Coach! ?

Surprisedthat Chag town is open?

"Whogot_thedice69 said:
Carter Neves is looking to make the big transfer play to St.Eds. He should make alot of noise in the lineup at 170 next year.
Hightower is 170. Keep him there. He's a state placer. "

What grade will Carter Neves be in next year ? What weight did he wrestle at this year ?

My sources from deep inside the admissions department at St Edwards has confirmed the following line up for the 20-21 Eagle

106-Hans Gruber
113-Hannibal Lecter
120-Agent Smith
126-Scar
132-Bill "the Butcher' Cutting
138-Anton Chigurh
145-Norm Stansfield
152-Tommy Devito
160-Vincent Vega
170-Ra's al Ghul
182-E. Palpatine
195-Commodus
220-Biff Tannon
Hwy-Thanos

This team will be unstoppable, rules are going out the window when this crew arrives.

My sources from deep inside the admissions department at St Edwards has confirmed the following line up for the 20-21 Eagle

106-Hans Gruber
113-Hannibal Lecter
120-Agent Smith
126-Scar
132-Bill "the Butcher' Cutting
138-Anton Chigurh
145-Norm Stansfield
152-Tommy Devito
160-Vincent Vega
170-Ra's al Ghul
182-E. Palpatine
195-Commodus
220-Biff Tannon
Hwy-Thanos

This team will be unstoppable, rules are going out the window when this crew arrives.
Is the Scar kid the Sombo champ from Russia I herd about?

why does so many people think eds has some major advantage because of recruiting or hold backs or who knows whatever else. Look at the other schools. Do people not move to those districts for the advantage of playing certain sports? Is it no possible that someone who lives anyplace would sacrifice their time and perhaps enroll their kid in elyria since they are a true open enrollment school? Seems like a nice advantage that is tuition free. Would people not move to Brecksville to wrestle there. Just move there and you get a top notch education and a premier wrestling program. The advantage that each school has is great. But, to say that Ed's is the only school who tries to get kids is crazy.

And eds is the only school that has hold backs? Anyone look at Elyria's roster or Brecksville's? What percentage of kids are held back is unknown, but i can tell you that there are a great number. Heck, many of the kids want to get held back because of some so called advantage.

not the point... Joe accused Wrestlerguy 1 of slandering Ed's program because he mentioned that Ed's recruits and has hold backs. "Slander" means a false statement. I simply asked Joe which part of Wrestlerguy 1's comment was false. Joe replied "all of it."

Is the Scar kid the Sombo champ from Russia I herd about?

Scar is from the plains of Africa. You may be getting him confused with the Grubar kid at 106. Palpatine is from Greece. The line up an international flavor and it almost cost Bill Cutting who really wanted an all Native team.

not the point... Joe accused Wrestlerguy 1 of slandering Ed's program because he mentioned that Ed's recruits and has hold backs. "Slander" means a false statement. I simply asked Joe which part of Wrestlerguy 1's comment was false. Joe replied "all of it."
No. Wrestlerguy 1 said “Not that hard to do when you recruit from all over the state and have kids that are a year older than everyone else in their grade.”
First of all,
Ed’s doesn’t need to recruit. People send their sons there because it’s a great academic and athletic school. If you or wrestleguy 1 has 1st hand documentation of recruiting going on at St. Ed’s or any other school why wouldn’t you say something to the OHSAA? My guess is you just hear a lot of gossip and by posting statements like above when you have no proof it’s slander!

Second,
Wreatleguy 1 said that Ed’s has kids that are a year older than everyone else in their grade.
So what he said is that there are athletes (more than one mind you) that are a YEAR older then “everyone “ meaning every kid in the country in say 9th grade?

I was going to just let this all go, but I can see that you nor any other hater are ever going to stop being jealous of Ed’s. Glad I at least spoke my peace.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Scar is from the plains of Africa. You may be getting him confused with the Grubar kid at 106. Palpatine is from Greece. The line up an international flavor and it almost cost Bill Cutting who really wanted an all Native team.
You’re right. Gruber. Heard that kid will eat nails and hammers! Don’t know how he will transition from Sombo to Folkstyle? Seems almost like he would be regressing?