St. Edward 2020-21

mailman112

What a finish to the year. No individual champs but the Eagles did secure a state title when Z pins to win his match. Now that we have 2019-20 behind us we can look froward to the future. The future is very bright for the Eagles. Very few spots will be up for grabs next year. The incoming class should be very strong. Below I will list my projected line up. ( Last years post at this time hit 12/14 spots correct) I will not list the incoming wresters by name until later in the year but at least one will break the line up this year. Like this year several others will see time on the Gold team. Croston, West and Bryd should see some matches this year. Feel free to add your line up.

06 Incoming (Will be between 2 incoming Freshman)
13 Richter
20 Seefeldt
26 Elmore/Durbin/Incoming
32 Delsanter
38 Kralick
45 Bennett
52 Geog
60 Paddy
70 Hightower
82 Kilbane/Dashiell
95 Rios/Ratcliff/Incoming
20 Robinson/Vlcek/Incoming
Hwy Robinson/Oudeman/Dunn

Not that hard to do when you recruit from all over the state and have kids that are a year older than everyone else in their grade.

I expect to see Paddy at the RTC next year. Had he picked Iowa then I'd expect him to wrestle HS. A possibility is wrestling a limited HS schedule facing only national caliber match ups and skipping the rest of the matches. This is common practice in other sports such as gymnastics. Not sure if rules allow him to wrestle I in college opens until January...

St Edward is one of 6 teams to be ranked in the Fab 50 for the last 10 years.

Mailman, a little better than that i'm sure-- have followed closely since late 1970's. St Eds is the only team in top 50-- probably even top 20-- since then, thats over 40 years.

yes Private schools can have advantages and St. Eds has one, but in wrestling theres only one St Eds (i'm leaving out Prep boarding schools which have still more advantages. Blair & Wy Sem in another category.). .....lets give credit where due to consistency, commitment, dedication, excellence..

and every St Eds champ has paid the price individually just as every Public --and Prep --school kid has. It's the same tough journey to the podium for every wrestler and it takes good coaching to get him there (theres not many no-brainers like the Schlatters, Alan Freids, David Taylors, Stiebers around)..

Mailman, a little better than that i'm sure-- have followed closely since late 1970's. St Eds is the only team in top 50-- probably even top 20-- since then, thats over 40 years.

yes Private schools can have advantages and St. Eds has one, but in wrestling theres only one St Eds (i'm leaving out Prep boarding schools which have still more advantages. Blair & Wy Sem in another category.). .....lets give credit where due to consistency, commitment, dedication, excellence..

and every St Eds champ has paid the price individually just as every Public --and Prep --school kid has. It's the same tough journey to the podium for every wrestler and it takes good coaching to get him there (theres not many no-brainers like the Schlatters, Alan Freids, David Taylors, Stiebers around)..
Very well said Bob! Better then I could muster. BTW it’s not cheap to go to Eds. At 15k a year, a 45 min drive each way, and a very serious academic standard, it’s the hard way to go. JMO

Very well said Bob! Better then I could muster. BTW it’s not cheap to go to Eds. At 15k a year, a 45 min drive each way, and a very serious academic standard, it’s the hard way to go. JMO

yes many people--parents- made serious sacrifices to give the St Eds experience to their child. ...theres a reason why. Nothing wrong with a good public school, i went to one, but lets respect everyone who makes a sacrifice for the best for their kid. The kid himself has to make it, puting on a St Eds or Blair singlet guarantees nothing. Its a tough road.

a true story: years ago when i was Ironman director (for 17 years), a coach was complaining to me about Blair. And i told him -somewhat kiddingly- "Be assured the Blair kid u wrestle will have done more homework than your kid." Of course i knew Blair had mandatory study tables and as far back as 15 or more years ago each student had to have their own PC that they carried from class to class.

yes many people--parents- made serious sacrifices to give the St Eds experience to their child. ...theres a reason why. Nothing wrong with a good public school, i went to one, but lets respect everyone who makes a sacrifice for the best for their kid. The kid himself has to make it, puting on a St Eds or Blair singlet guarantees nothing. Its a tough road.

a true story: years ago when i was Ironman director (for 17 years), a coach was complaining to me about Blair. And i told him -somewhat kiddingly- "Be assured the Blair kid u wrestle will have done more homework than your kid." Of course i knew Blair had mandatory study tables and as far back as 15 or more years ago each student had to have their own PC that they carried from class to class.
I agree. I went to Richmond Hts back in the 80’s. It was a great place to be. Honestly I wasn’t a fan of St. Ed’s back then. I drove my son and paid the tuition and when he graduated with High Honers in the IB program I was the proudest parent alive. Most of you that follow Wrestling already know that we could have enrolled him in any number of schools. US , Berkshire, Kenston etc. we chose Ed’s because of the great blend of education and athletics. You all probably know that although he is/was a great wrestler he wasn’t the best at Ed’s. He didn’t get the varsity spot his Freshman year or his Senior year. My pops always said, you could be the second best guy in the state and not make varsity at Ed’s. Well he was rite. Leaning to be humble was the best lesson a athlete can learn and I have absolutely zero regret sending Mason to St. Ed’s. Sooooooo short story long, I agree! There are many parents, students and siblings that have paid the price to send their sons/daughters to private school.

How many starting wrestlers actually pay the full tuition?

I was wondering the same thing. I would say most kids do pay tuition but I have heard of a few stories where a kids family has said they would go to say a (Elyria or a Brecksville) if you don’t pay a portion of sons tuition. Heard that portion was paid but I’m sure there is other ways to get some kind of assistance too.

I just want to add that Alan Fried was a badass and he plays guitar.

I'd rank them like this...
1. Fried
2. Cruiser
3. MPhillips
???​
Fried was a badass. On all levels. Last year the Flo guys had a quickie interview with him at a youth event—he talked about being happy now working with the young kids...ya see him on the youth circuit here and there with the 216 club.

Tuition at Catholic schools is need based. Your family has to submit their tax information from the previous year. I paid the full amount minus a academic scholarship. Having a smart kid helps a little. Not much but a little.

Boro I can answer that questions for you but not in terms of how many wrestlers pay full tuition. Over 80% of ALL kids get some sort of tuition break. Whether it is grades, the voucher or testing well when you enter school. You MUST keep your grades up to keep the aid you receive. As a side note, EVERY private school have an endowment set up to help kids who don't have the means to pay the full $17k a year.

I agree with Bob. What difference does it make? We have parents making HUGE sacrifices to send a student to St. Ed's. Many of those are NOT involved in sports.