St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 points from perfection. Tough pill to swallow, but congrats to this group on a great season. As always, going to miss a great group of seniors and there will be big shoes to fill.

Looking ahead to next year, I think we could be in for a bit of a rebuild. From what I can recall, this upcoming group of seniors had a number of losses at the freshman and JV levels. Returning starters (or guys that played significant first-team minutes) will include Aden and Moran on offense, and Hankins, Casto, Bixby, and Castleberry on defense. Could see a number of juniors from a good '22 class take on prominent roles, including the much-hyped Ramos at QB.

2 points from perfection. Tough pill to swallow, but congrats to this group on a great season. As always, going to miss a great group of seniors and there will be big shoes to fill.

Looking ahead to next year, I think we could be in for a bit of a rebuild. From what I can recall, this upcoming group of seniors had a number of losses at the freshman and JV levels. Returning starters (or guys that played significant first-team minutes) will include Aden and Moran on offense, and Hankins, Casto, Bixby, and Castleberry on defense. Could see a number of juniors from a good '22 class take on prominent roles, including the much-hyped Ramos at QB.
Next season will be very interesting for Ignatius and Eds

Both will be very young and inexperienced. Mentor with Kipp back and a number of defensive linemen, could be the early Region 1 front runner.

Can someone post the stats from the playoff game with Mentor including the number of penalties and yards called against each team?

Offensively coaching was at fault with doing as we expected, letting off the gas. The officials were absolutely horrible. What a disappointing way to lose. They players did not lose this game. I hope they all hold their heads high. This Senior class was a great one.

Next season will be very interesting for Ignatius and Eds

Both will be very young and inexperienced. Mentor with Kipp back and a number of defensive linemen, could be the early Region 1 front runner.
I like St Edward in 2020. Christian Ramos will be the equalizer to that youth.

Offensively coaching was at fault with doing as we expected, letting off the gas. The officials were absolutely horrible. What a disappointing way to lose. They players did not lose this game. I hope they all hold their heads high. This Senior class was a great one.

I appreciate all your posts, but with all due respect, I think you're being a little hard on the coaches. I don't think there is a better high school head coach right now than Tom Lombardo. Yes, Kyle and Trivisono and many others deserve historic praise, but if you were starting a program tomorrow, Lombardo is about as good as it gets at the D1 level in this area.

You can criticize him for it, but going for it on 4th down in the first half was hardly "letting off the gas."

Marty Shottenheimer once echoed a phrase often criticized, but eternally true: "Quite frankly, play calling is overrated." He caught hell for saying that, but it was true in his day as it is today.

St. Edward has a bright future with Lombardo and next year we have one of the brightest stars on the horizon in Christian Ramos.

We probably were the best team in Ohio this year, but Mentor found a way to win, so we have to move on.

As for the officials, I have plenty to say from the Medina game, let alone this game, but I don't want to diminish the effforts of a bunch of great kids from Mentor who played thier hearts out.

Last edited:
I appreciate all your posts, but with all due respect, I think you're being a little hard on the coaches. I don't think there is a better high school head coach right now than Tom Lombardo. Yes, Kyle and Trivisono and many others deserve historic praise, but if you were starting a program tomorrow, Lombardo is about as good as it gets at the D1 level in this area.

You can criticize him for it, but going for it on 4th down in the first half was hardly "letting off the gas."

Marty Shottenheimer once echoed a phrase often criticized, but eternally true: "Quite frankly, play calling is overrated." He caught hell for saying that, but it was true in his day as it is today.

St. Edward has a bright future with Lombardo and next year we have one of the brightest stars on the horizon in Christian Ramos.

We probably were the best team in Ohio this year, but Mentor found a way to win, so we have to move on.

As for the officials, I have plenty to say from the Medina game, let alone this game, but I don't want to diminish the effforts of a bunch of great kids from Mentor who played thier hearts out.
We probably were the best team in Ohio this year? Here is a clue for you. If a team beats you twice in one season then they are better than you. I thought Ed's guys were suppose to be intelligent.

We probably were the best team in Ohio this year? Here is a clue for you. If a team beats you twice in one season then they are better than you. I thought Ed's guys were suppose to be intelligent.
We are intelligent, despite what Ignatius folks claim. Of course they couldn't make the mistake I made because they aren't in the playoffs. :)Anyway, point well taken. It wasn't ment to be a dig at Mentor, it was more about our personal shortcomings in the face of what we hoped to achieve. As a Catholic, I will say 10 Hail Mary's and put an extra tenner ($10) in the tomorrow's offertory basket as pennance for my transgression. (I'll assume you'll know what that is:))

Last edited:
No doubt Ramos will be very good. H
However, he threw interceptions in the JV game against an injured Ignatius defense.

Should be interesting
Yea, the injured JV defense card. (y) Ok. Another tenner ($10) in tommorow's basket for me being a smart&*& to my Jesuit brother. My apologies.

QB- Ramos
RB- Watkins
WR/TE:?
OL: Aden, Moran, ?, ?, ?
DL: Bixby, Casto, Calhoun, ?
LB: Hankins, ?, ?
CB- Castleberry bros
S- ?

I really like Lombardo and the whole staff. They would be my first choice as well. With that I thought in the second half there were some mistakes on his behalf. (None as big as the Officials made)

We came out and ran ourselves into punting situations, when the pass was open and was efficient in the first half, especially the first drive to start the half. By far the worst mistakes were clock Management. On a few drives I would of liked them to run the play clock down instead of running plays with 18-22 seconds left in the play clock. That time turns into minutes. If you rewatch the the second half we could have picked up at least 4 minutes of time. Also I have seen the last play of the game and cannot help but notice that our LBs were outside of our DEs. We have only a few lineman in the middle. I bet if you asked 1000 people in the stadium 999 of them would have guessed the QB draw was coming.

With all of that I love our Coaches and community. I am very proud to be apart of this family. I also know things can go either way and you win some and you lose some. It is easy to criticize in a loss and I do not want to be that person. Congrats on a good season.

Connor Goodall and Rayshawn Manning are two '22 wideouts that have been very good at both Freshman and JV levels to this point. They'll need to step up and have great off-seasons. I know Connor plays hoops and has a shot at some varsity time this year. Broden Bostwick, '21 former back-up QB, got some slot work later in the year. Speed kid, with Ramos likely to take over at QB would love to keep seeing him in that slot role. Too good not to have on the field and get the ball in his hands. For TE, Brad Delphia really stood out and stands out from the '22 class.

The officials were absolutely horrible. What a disappointing way to lose. They players did not lose this game.

I'll never be convinced that there wasn't some shenanigans going on with at least the one sideline judge closest to Mentor's bench. He over-ruled the clear Mentor fumble in the first that led to a score, he's the lone official that called the OT TD that never was, he called 7 of the 8 holding calls on Eds, never called one on Mentor though jerseys were pulled off shoulder pads of DL frequently. Worst of all, was told he's the reason the measurement fiasco overturned as well... It doesn't take a scientist to figure things out here.

Yesterday got word that OHSAA had actually informed the white hat that the crew will never work an OH playoff game ever again due to how poorly they handled that game. IF true, says all you need to know and put an asterisk next to Triv's eventual title, which is unfortunate but a reality.

Congrats I guess, 20 years from now he'll still know deep down that he lost that game.

I really like Lombardo and the whole staff. They would be my first choice as well. With that I thought in the second half there were some mistakes on his behalf. (None as big as the Officials made)

We came out and ran ourselves into punting situations, when the pass was open and was efficient in the first half, especially the first drive to start the half. By far the worst mistakes were clock Management. On a few drives I would of liked them to run the play clock down instead of running plays with 18-22 seconds left in the play clock. That time turns into minutes. If you rewatch the the second half we could have picked up at least 4 minutes of time. Also I have seen the last play of the game and cannot help but notice that our LBs were outside of our DEs. We have only a few lineman in the middle. I bet if you asked 1000 people in the stadium 999 of them would have guessed the QB draw was coming.

With all of that I love our Coaches and community. I am very proud to be apart of this family. I also know things can go either way and you win some and you lose some. It is easy to criticize in a loss and I do not want to be that person. Congrats on a good season.

Agree on the second half play calling and time management. Not ideal. In their defense, it's difficult to get away from the run when Formani is punishing the defense as he was, and so much can potentially go wrong when you pass the ball. But I definitely think there were opportunities in the passing game that could have dealt that final "death blow" we just couldn't seem to get.

I'll never be convinced that there wasn't some shenanigans going on with at least the one sideline judge closest to Mentor's bench. He over-ruled the clear Mentor fumble in the first that led to a score, he's the lone official that called the OT TD that never was, he called 7 of the 8 holding calls on Eds, never called one on Mentor though jerseys were pulled off shoulder pads of DL frequently. Worst of all, was told he's the reason the measurement fiasco overturned as well... It doesn't take a scientist to figure things out here.

Yesterday got word that OHSAA had actually informed the white hat that the crew will never work an OH playoff game ever again due to how poorly they handled that game. IF true, says all you need to know and put an asterisk next to Triv's eventual title, which is unfortunate but a reality.

Congrats I guess, 20 years from now he'll still know deep down that he lost that game.

The officiating left a lot to be desired, and the final penalty tally was titled heavily in our direction. I think both sides have acknowledged that. I was hoping one of the various media outlets would have asked the coaches in the post-game interviews about the explanation they received from the officials on the fourth down spot debacle. That aside, lets stop short of the conspiracy theories. If Mentor wins their next two, they will have earned it, and there will be no asterisk. I'd imagine very few championship seasons fail to see the winner get some good breaks on the way there. We've had our share as well.

The officiating left a lot to be desired, and the final penalty tally was titled heavily in our direction. I think both sides have acknowledged that. I was hoping one of the various media outlets would have asked the coaches in the post-game interviews about the explanation they received from the officials on the fourth down spot debacle. That aside, lets stop short of the conspiracy theories. If Mentor wins their next two, they will have earned it, and there will be no asterisk. I'd imagine very few championship seasons fail to see the winner get some good breaks on the way there. We've had our share as well.

Is it a conspiracy if OHSAA immediately informs those officials they're done doing OH playoff games because it was that bad? Feels like some admitted fault there, but hey you do you. Mentor did not win that game, Triv knows it deep down too.

On the spot fiasco, the side judge came in AFTER the measurement and said he had the spot wrong. He had Mentor's back all night long and has a history of doing this per other OHSAA officials that have worked with him. I don't care if you had the spot wrong or not, once you measure and signal that first down in HS you move on, that's the white hats job to take control in that situation. Triv also ran out to mid-freakin field and the side judge doesn't issue a penalty, Lombo comes out half the distance wanting an explanation and gets a penalty.

Keep the blinders on if you insist, that wasn't a couple breaks type of a game. Mentor's eventual title is cooked..

Status
Not open for further replies.