St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it wasn't for a couple short fields off Medina mistakes, it was an equally played half ... 34-24 and three of Ed's TDs came off drives that started in Medina territory.

Respectfully disagree... 21 of those 24 points Medina had were spotted 40 yards of field position off phantom BS we hate private school calls. Every time Eds put their foot down in the first half a flag came launching in saving the day for the Bees. It wasn't so much play on the field that was dictating things.

The side judge closest to Eds side was awful, missed a block in the back at one point that was his call and about five feet in front of him and another official saved his from 40 yards away. You could see the look on that officials face like, cmon man do your job. I guarantee you that will be one of the lowest evaluated officiating crews Lombardo will ever have to recap.

The three man front was ineffective. May have overthought this one for sure.

When you have a QB that gets rid of the ball on a consistent 3-step drop and the OL has 4-5 foot splits, you do not send the house. That's football 101. You're wasting men that statistically speaking are very unlikely to get to the QB and could instead be in coverage. When you send those men it leaves massive hot reads in coverage as well. Pappas dialed up blitzes situationally very well, but it wasn't frequent for this reason.

Sending three with a Mike in spy is exactly how you counter that style of O, then just hope your DBs can cover for short consistent intervals. No one is asking them to cover for ten second plays. The three man front was actually very effective given the circumstance and style of O they were facing. There were multiple QB hurries and sacks against an offense that lives off a 3-step drop.

What is the reason for the time change?

I don't know, but this is what's posted on the OHSAA site:

Division I – Games at 7 p.m. unless other noted, Friday, Nov. 15
Region 1
1 Mentor (11-0) vs. 4 Canton McKinley (9-2) at Twinsburg Tiger Stadium
2 Lakewood St. Edward (10-1) vs. 3 Euclid (9-2) at Brunswick Auto Mart Stadium 7:30 p.m.

When you have a QB that gets rid of the ball on a consistent 3-step drop and the OL has 4-5 foot splits, you do not send the house. That's football 101. You're wasting men that statistically speaking are very unlikely to get to the QB and could instead be in coverage. When you send those men it leaves massive hot reads in coverage as well. Pappas dialed up blitzes situationally very well, but it wasn't frequent for this reason.

Sending three with a Mike in spy is exactly how you counter that style of O, then just hope your DBs can cover for short consistent intervals. No one is asking them to cover for ten second plays. The three man front was actually very effective given the circumstance and style of O they were facing. There were multiple QB hurries and sacks against an offense that lives off a 3-step drop.

You'll have to excuse me as I was not at the game, but listening to the broadcast, and it did not sound good. Who were the personnel on the field on defense? I'd figure we would have been in a 4-2-5 look.

You'll have to excuse me as I was not at the game, but listening to the broadcast, and it did not sound good. Who were the personnel on the field on defense? I'd figure we would have been in a 4-2-5 look.

Rotation.. mostly 3-3-5, some 3-2-6 looks and 4-2-5 too though; Jeff, Alex and Terron started on DL, Trey and Casto rotated in. LBs, CJ and Cantrell, then Ahmad Edwards as the Mike in the 3-3-5 playing in a spy role. Thought this was an interesting move by Pappas, apply as much pressure as possible in that initial 3-step drop (as the QB threw off 3-step 80-85% of the time), when he didn't he stepped up in the B gaps and Ahmad was sitting there early. Think he had two sacks early off this look, would argue he had his best game of the season too. All the LBs played great scraping when the QB stepped up in the pocket.

Secondary had a number of dropped INTs, or miss-played balls like the TD just before the half (looked like a punt and no one attacked). They made plays though in spots too, just need to clean some things up. One of those games, learn and move on. Won't see an O like that rest of the way. Good test though.

Thoughts on the Euclid game? The Panthers have some weapons on offense, but I seem to recall they've been dealing with some injuries. Will they be healthy for this contest? Defense looks vulnerable looking at the results of the decent teams they've played.

Also, congrats to Montorie Foster on his commitment to MSU. Quite the story going from a mid-major basketball recruit to a Power 5 football commit in a span of about 4 months. Nice pipeline we've had in recent years to the Spartans as well.

The Pass defense needs to be adjusted. If you go back to Canada,Iggy, Butchel, Elder, NCA, Moeller, Medina I remember all TDs allowed were either KO returns, and deep passes. CB is the hardest position to play so they should not play the CB on the line of scrimmage. If we have problems defending the pass I would like to see us blitz more often also, or blitz in general. As for the Offense, WOW! The scary part is Makenzie Wainwright was not involved much and he was open all night.

Euclid presents a matchup the favors St.Edward. By no means can anyone over look the athletes they have, or play action they usually run.

Goooooooooooo Eagles!

I honestly think they plan each game based on knowns for what the team is up against and if pass protection is the weak spot out of offense, defense and special teams than that's what they'll deal with and counter with what they do best. They haven't been stopped since week 1 while putting up some big numbers along the way...

Also, congrats to Montorie Foster on his commitment to MSU. Quite the story going from a mid-major basketball recruit to a Power 5 football commit in a span of about 4 months. Nice pipeline we've had in recent years to the Spartans as well.

Imagine if he's able to walk-on the basketball team as well. He'd be playing for one of the premier coaches / teams in the country!

It's all good on this end (y)
sandyhorse.jpg

Looks like next year St. Edward is @ Euclid week 2 and @ Mentor week 3. Obviously as we have learned, that can change

What do you mean? Something he doesn't have interest in?
By big I would guess at least a MAC school. I cannot speak for Joey. I am sure he has interest in playing at the next level, but I cannot imagine going to YSU to get his body beat up is a place he would want to be at for the next 4 years. He is a very bright young man that seems to looks long term. I would really love to see him get a MAC opportunity.

By big I would guess at least a MAC school. I cannot speak for Joey. I am sure he has interest in playing at the next level, but I cannot imagine going to YSU to get his body beat up is a place he would want to be at for the next 4 years. He is a very bright young man that seems to looks long term. I would really love to see him get a MAC opportunity.

I would too, and he's more than talented enough to play at the MAC level in my mind, but free education is free education for some. Thought you had some info on why he wouldn't go to YSU. He's taken visits there, so most have some level of interest I'd assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.