St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read in the game preview from the PD that the game was moved as Lakewood was having the new turf put in this weekend.
Hadn't hear that, but if it happens that would be great.

Best of luck to the Eagles tonight against the Bees, looking for a W and moving on to the next round.

I thought I read in the game preview from the PD that the game was moved as Lakewood was having the new turf put in this weekend.

Yea, report was that they were starting the new turf removal now, but that is false. I both live and drive by the stadium daily, there is nothing going on.. From those I've talked to it's expected to happen this next off-season, but I believe those reports were either misinformed or misunderstood regarding the timing.

You could play that game in the parking lot and it will not matter. Running clock most likely. Eagles by as much as they care to win by.

My worst fear, we are over thinking on defense. Sprinkle some penalties in the mix, a turnover, very diappointing going into the half. Coffee Yappi guys? Halftime. Meet on the bottom of the steps, our side.

Wasn’t pretty (for the defense that is). The three man front was ineffective. May have overthought this one for sure. Double digit penalties for well over 100 yards doesn’t help either. Lot to clean up if this team is expected to challenge a Mentor team that continues to steamroll everything in their path.

A few observations from tonights game...

First, it was one of the longest games I can remember!

I'm sure St Ed fans will be pleased if we never see that officiating crew again. They were not going to let Eds play their physical style of football. The personal foul calls were never ending. However, after one or two of those calls, you've got to adjust or temper your style. That's something the team needs to work on. But I do like that we are physical and I'd rather have a few of those calls and live with them, than play soft.

As for all the pass interference calls, I'm not crying about the refs because on virtually every one of them our guys were not looking back for the ball or looking back to the QB. I don't know if its coaching or just 15-17 year olds not being able to adjust, but that needs to be cleaned up. Mentor, Elder and X will have a field day with that game tape.

The Medina QB (#14 Drew Allar) was effective because of his deep drops and quick release which neutralized much of our pash rush. I thought we should have brought the house more given how poor our coverage was, but I also would have liked to see our DB's bumping all those receivers and disrupting their routes given the fact that Allar ussually just fired the ball as soon as he got it. Hats off to Allar who is only a sophomore and looks to be the real deal.

While you can argue Medina got a couple of broken play floaters that turned into TD's, those completions were our DB's not making easy plays on the ball.

On a brighter note, O'Malley's passing was really impressive and Forlani was very tough. I was very impressed with our OL especially #75 Thomas Aden who blocked through the whistle on every down.

A win is a win, so I can't complain too much. Nevertheless, the coaches and players certainly have plenty to work on. Go Eagles.

Ed's 73 Medina 35. Outplayed???? What did you want 73-0???

I think he posted that at halftime, and if it wasn't for a couple short fields off Medina mistakes, it was an equally played half ... 34-24 and three of Ed's TDs came off drives that started in Medina territory. Medina also had to settle for a short field goal inside the Ed's 10.

This wasn't a case of Ed's rolling up 73 and Medina scoring some late TDs to make it look somewhat respectable. The way the game was going, Ed's had to keep the starters in and keep putting points on the board. The turning point, which made it a foregone conclusion that Medina wouldn't be able to come back was right after Ed's scored to open the second half to go up 42-24. Medina quickly went 3-and-out and should've punted. Instead they went for it at their own 28 and didn't convert. Ed's then scored off another short field. I'm not going to kill the decision to go for it because if Medina wanted a chance to win, they needed to respond right there and they didn't.

But even after that, Medina went right back down the field for a TD to make it 49-31 still with about 15 minutes left, so hardly a lead Ed's could sit on. Medina had a drive stall deep in Ed's territory and then Ed's responded with another long TD drive to go up 56-31. Then Medina threw a pick in Ed's territory that was returned to the Medina 15. Ed's scored on the next play to make it 63-31. Medina then ran back the ensuing kickoff to make it 63-38. I was leaving as that return happened so not sure how the final 10 Ed's points came.

So Ed's won by a "running clock" score, it wasn't a running clock game. Medina went toe-to-toe tonight and tried to make it a shootout, but made too many mistakes (you give a team like Ed's a ton of possessions and a ton of short fields and they are going to pile up points). Ed's also made a ton of mistakes (pass interference and what, 6 personal fouls??), but I'm guessing the Ed's people left thinking a lot more of Medina than they did going in.

Last edited:

I'm sure St Ed fans will be pleased if we never see that officiating crew again. They were not going to let Eds play their physical style of football. The personal foul calls were never ending. However, after one or two of those calls, you've got to adjust or temper your style. That's something the team needs to work on. But I do like that we are physical and I'd rather have a few of those calls and live with them, than play soft.

As for all the pass interference calls, I'm not crying about the refs because on virtually every one of them our guys were not looking back for the ball or looking back to the QB. I don't know if its coaching or just 15-17 year olds not being able to adjust, but that needs to be cleaned up. Mentor, Elder and X will have a field day with that game tape.

The Medina QB (#14 Drew Allar) was effective because of his deep drops and quick release which neutralized much of our pash rush. I thought we should have brought the house more given how poor our coverage was, but I also would have liked to see our DB's bumping all those receivers and disrupting their routes given the fact that Allar ussually just fired the ball as soon as he got it. Hats off to Allar who is only a sophomore and looks to be the real deal.

While you can argue Medina got a couple of broken play floaters that turned into TD's, those completions were our DB's not making easy plays on the ball.

On a brighter note, O'Malley's passing was really impressive and Forlani was very tough. I was very impressed with our OL especially #75 Thomas Aden who blocked through the whistle on every down.

A win is a win, so I can't complain too much. Nevertheless, the coaches and players certainly have plenty to work on. Go Eagles.

Allar is going to be a Division I QB, it's just a matter of high of a level he gets. This was only his third start (though he's played in every game and finished with 20-plus TDs). With his size (6-4, 210), his arm and he is a good athlete, the sky is the limit for him. I think tonight was exactly what he needed to head into next year. He just put up 300-plus on the back-to-back state champs as a sophomore a week after putting up 400-plus on Brunswick to get the Bees into the playoffs.

Plenty to work on scoring 73 points? Eds football really is at its peak.
Sayng "Eds football really is at its peak" when the D gave up 31 to Medina (less the kickoff return) is like saying your Wildcats are really at their peak too!

Sayng "Eds football really is at its peak" when the D gave up 31 to Medina (less the kickoff return) is like saying your Wildcats are really at their peak too!

To be fair, this was the same Medina offense from a philosophical standpoint, but it really wasn't the one that most teams saw all season. It goes back to Allar, who didn't start until the Shaker game. In that, he quickly put up four TDs in the first 9 minutes and they jumped up 28-0. The defense was in control (Shaker I don't think gained more than 50 yards all game). But a combination of complacency, fluke things and Shaker making defensive plays made that one go down to the wire.

But last week, if Allar would've stayed in once Medina went up big on Brunswick, Medina would've put up 60 on them.

I said it in the R1 thread that since Medina turned the offense over to Allar, the Bees may be the third best team in the R1 playoffs. I'll stick to that. But it still shows how far ahead Ed's and Mentor are above the rest of the field.

Great recap. My thoughts or
  1. Being physical comes with the potential of PFs being levied. But they have to exercise some restraint.
  2. Oline is still not at full strength...this is a very GOOD unit.
  3. A 5 wide set makes it difficult to play in space and then the ball as a DB. You are forced to play man-to-man with your back to the QB almost exclusively. However, its incumbent upon the DB to watch the WR's head, eyes, and then arms...disrupt their ability to get in a position to make a clean catch. Also, pass interference in HS is not as costly as in the PRO's. Down and distance awareness is key. Better to commit pass interference at times than to give an opponent a big catch that advances their efforts by 25-40 yards.
  4. Special teams matter (a tired speech). The Eagles cannot afford to give solid to good offensive teams short fields because they are concerned about defending a kick-off. Kick coverage is all discipline and desire.
I was very impressed with Medina. They played hard and were well coached. This O scheme only prepares the Eagles for like approaches as the post season advances.

Go Eagles!

Defense did play sloppy. Although I believe the most difficult position to coach technique on in high school are defensive backs and that showed tonight. A few interference calls early on were dbs panicking. Spot on with the refs, they called a pretty tight game that played more to Medina's strengths than the Eagles'. The D-line got to Allar pretty frequently and forced him out of the pocket but he was a magician scrambling and not turning the ball over too much. (The INT drop in the second half really hurt us as they next play was a big PI and they ended up scoring a TD on that drive.) #11 for Medina was a terrific receiver too, really played his heart out and was an absolute size mismatch for our DBs. Broken throws needed to be handled better, the two prayers that were tossed that ended up as a touchdown and set up another touchdown at the end of the first half were demoralizing. It seemed that the defense did everything right on those plays until Medina's receiver caught it. Still, we won and are moving on. Difficult to defend that offense and they played more inspired than St. Ed's did. A lot of motivation going into next week's game against Euclid. Do we think it will be at Byers?

Only 2nd time in St. Edward history the combined score went for more than 100. Though last night's 73-38 was most combined points in victory.

We all remember the most, Mentor 63 St. Edward 56 in 2012. :(

How can you get the game live or delayed on video if I am out of town......audio only is bad enough but when the quality was as it was last night, forget it. So frustrating. Thanks for listening all.

How can you get the game live or delayed on video if I am out of town......audio only is bad enough but when the quality was as it was last night, forget it. So frustrating. Thanks for listening all.
OHSAA controls the video. Not sure what the issues were with audio, I know it was the first time doing audio out of BW, which might have led to the issues.

In region 1 last night only two games did not have video coverage by the state. St. Ed's/ Medina and Mentor/Cleveland Hts. If you happen to live out of town, you can plunk down 10 bucks to watch future games at OHSAA.TV

Status
Not open for further replies.