St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another successful regular season. Now the real season begins. Once again, Lombardo has these guys playing their best football at the right time. Medina brings an air-raid offense to the table, and should provide a good test for the secondary.

Looks like the Eagles get Medina if Massillon beats McKinley, and get Massillon Jackson if McKInley wins...
Medina it is, should be an interesting game. Medina loves to throw the ball, our DB's will be busy. Not sure about Medina's D, but they better be ready for us to pound the ball with an occasional throw over the top.

Another solid opponent last night that offered the Eagles an additional opportunity to get ready for the post season. The Oline has been exceptional all year long, the addition of Wainwright makes this offense more diverse, and the D has improved weekly. Today's Massillon-McKinley outcome determines their seed and then the Eagles get ready for season 2 to begin. Stay healthy and focused...five tough games ahead until a champion is crowned.

Go Eagles!
Lot's of skill on that team and some great linemen. Their two offensive tackles were monsters and made our DE's work hard all game long. Great effort by the defense against a team that put up lot's of points for most of their games.

Lot's of skill on that team and some great linemen. Their two offensive tackles were monsters and made our DE's work hard all game long. Great effort by the defense against a team that put up lot's of points for most of their games.

The tackles were quite impressive. Not just large, but talented as well. Pietro and Bixby had to go to work all night. Good experience for those guys, especially the younger Bixby. The NCA QB was pretty deadly in space as well. Couldn’t figure out why they didn’t run him more.

Good win by the Eagles. Defense got a chance to see lots of 5 WR sets. They will see that a whole lot against Medina in the first round of the playoffs

Good win by the Eagles. Defense got a chance to see lots of 5 WR sets. They will see that a whole lot against Medina in the first round of the playoffs
I seen Medina play earlier in the year. St. Edward will need to get back to blitzing I feel. Their Spread Offense is a spread as it gets. With a no back set on many occasions along with 5 receivers, we can dominate the LOS. Our secondary is plenty good enough to match up for a few seconds. Offense will continue to find mismatches and should dominate the LOS. Put them away early.
Goooooooooooo Eagles!!!

The tackles were quite impressive. Not just large, but talented as well. Pietro and Bixby had to go to work all night. Good experience for those guys, especially the younger Bixby. The NCA QB was pretty deadly in space as well. Couldn’t figure out why they didn’t run him more.
I was out if town (a hotel in Canton?, for Massilon game Saturday). A friend text me and told me they both were working all night and at no point they were never close to losing against the big recruit tackles. He did feel like that was the best line we have seen which it should be with 3 blue Chip recruits. He actually said they seemed quit fustrated to the point Bixby drew a personal foul, and at no point nobody on our Dline was over powered at any point. Same comments referring to the QB.

I seen Medina play earlier in the year. St. Edward will need to get back to blitzing I feel. Their Spread Offense is a spread as it gets. With a no back set on many occasions along with 5 receivers, we can dominate the LOS. Our secondary is plenty good enough to match up for a few seconds.

Watched a little Medina recently, not meant to pick on a kid but their LT might be 5-10 190. I feel like Jeff could go off this weekend...

Watched a little Medina recently, not meant to pick on a kid but their LT might be 5-10 190. I feel like Jeff could go off this weekend...

Our base defense is essentially a nickel anyway with Nash playing a hybrid LB/DB role, so we should be ready to matchup rather seamlessly against 5-wide sets. As you said, the goal will be to generate enough pressure with the front four, primarily from Pietro and Bixby on the outside, in hopes to force quick throws or make the QB run into the heart of the defense. This kid Allar can run and throw, so we have to be conscious not to lose contain on the edges.

Our base defense is essentially a nickel anyway with Nash playing a hybrid LB/DB role, so we should be ready to matchup rather seamlessly against 5-wide sets. As you said, the goal will be to generate enough pressure with the front four, primarily from Pietro and Bixby on the outside, in hopes to force quick throws or make the QB run into the heart of the defense. This kid Allar can run and throw, so we have to be conscious not to lose contain on the edges.
The Eagles have the athletes that can go 1-1 with a team that goes spread heavy and a no RB set on O. In this instance, it's the Dline and the MLB that will need to contain Allar and make him one dimensional. However, should the Eagles' O control the ground with it's running game and the clock, there might be fewer chances for Medina to make it a track meet on Friday evening.

Go Eagles!

The Eagles have the athletes that can go 1-1 with a team that goes spread heavy and a no RB set on O. In this instance, it's the Dline and the MLB that will need to contain Allar and make him one dimensional. However, should the Eagles' O control the ground with it's running game and the clock, there might be fewer chances for Medina to make it a track meet on Friday evening.

Go Eagles!
Do we have the athletes that can consistently win? I think we do. If we do not get pressure any athlete is in trouble having to cover for over 5 seconds I am thinking we see some coverages being disguised, movement from the Front to play a guessing game with their line.

Didn't Olentangy Liberty run a similar offense last year in the playoffs with a pretty good QB (baseball kid to tOSU) then some really small over-matched OTs? I just feel like this is a similar match-up to that game.

Didn't Olentangy Liberty run a similar offense last year in the playoffs with a pretty good QB (baseball kid to tOSU) then some really small over-matched OTs? I just feel like this is a similar match-up to that game.
Liberty looks bigger than Medina on the line. They were similar in the Spread but many times had a RB(OSU Lacrosse commit) lined up with him sometimes, they did not run many times. We were more physical. That QB was very athletic, and Coach Pappas had a very good plan in place. Nash 4 TO also helped.

Surprised we haven't heard more about this, but it looks like Medina v St Ed is at BW Finnie Stadium. Likely due to poor condition of Lakewood field. Plan accordingly.

I think Lakewood Stadium overall is in need of some extensive work. The scoreboard hasn't worked correctly in years, the turf is worn and in need of replacing and the stands on the current away side are beginning to crumble, evidenced by some sections being roped off. I know Lakewood just completed a major renovation to their high school and many of their other schools are either brand new buildings or renovated as well. I wonder what money could be there for a stadium renovation. When it is packed I still believe it is one of the best places to watch a game.

Liberty looks bigger than Medina on the line. They were similar in the Spread but many times had a RB(OSU Lacrosse commit) lined up with him sometimes, they did not run many times. We were more physical. That QB was very athletic, and Coach Pappas had a very good plan in place. Nash 4 TO also helped.

Thanks... was going off memory, didn't recall the OTs being that big.

The carpet at Lakewood has to be 15 years old, it can't be safe for anyone now days. Time for Lakewood to replace the turf.

The turf is awful, one of the worst I've seen. It's surprising how bad it is. I don't blame the team one bit for going down to Baldwin Wallace.

The turf is awful, one of the worst I've seen. It's surprising how bad it is. I don't blame the team one bit for going down to Baldwin Wallace.
Really disappointing that Lakewood let the field get to a point of being unsafe.. apparently the fees and concession revenue that Lakewood was taking from Ed's wasn't appropriated for field upkeep. Does anyone know if Ed's chose BW? or was it OHHSAA that made the decision. It feels a little like a "neutral site" game (vs a home game); Lombardo and team will be ready to go. Go Eagles!

I'm sure Lombardo is telling them this, but the student athletes really need to be ready for this game. I remember going to BW (Finnie Stadium) in 1996 for the playoffs to see what I thought would be an easy win over the Hudson Explorers. Needless to say, it wasn't easy and the Eagles lost 13-6. I hated the script Eagle helmets of the late 90's era as I hate the white pants today, but uniforms aside, I hope the student athletes are ready to go. You can't take anything for granted.

I'm sure Lombardo is telling them this, but the student athletes really need to be ready for this game. I remember going to BW (Finnie Stadium) in 1996 for the playoffs to see what I thought would be an easy win over the Hudson Explorers. Needless to say, it wasn't easy and the Eagles lost 13-6. I hated the script Eagle helmets of the late 90's era as I hate the white pants today, but uniforms aside, I hope the student athletes are ready to go. You can't take anything for granted.

I would expect nothing less than the coaches to be preparing the team hard for any playoff game. Take nothing for granted. But believe me, St Eds will name the score this weekend. Medina won't know what hit them. This game could be played at Lakewood, BW, Medina, or the moon - St Eds by 40+

I would expect nothing less than the coaches to be preparing the team hard for any playoff game. Take nothing for granted. But believe me, St Eds will name the score this weekend. Medina won't know what hit them. This game could be played at Lakewood, BW, Medina, or the moon - St Eds by 40+
I would like to St. Eds put them away early. As for 40+. I really hope that is the case. We usually pull many kids after being up a few scores. I would like to see them keep their foot on the gas into the 4th Quarter.

I agree completely. This could be a game to assume is in the bag and it is far from that. My concern is our starting defense has really shut down the run game over the last 7 weeks. On the other hand we have gave up a few big pass plays that have gotten behind our secondary, that has been only a few times but it has happened. It is not very often this season the Defensive line has given a QB much time to throw. Pressure is key. Medina fans have told me we cannot get to their QB because of a deep drops. I would like to see Coach Pappas bring Hankins all night(Canada), or Cantrell, maybe a few of the other blitzes we have seen. Our secondary is very in good in man to man coverage, and if we can make him throw within 3 to 4 seconds we will win big.

Is there a movement to not use Lakewood Stadium as home field next season? If so, I'd take BW over Byers. Not sure what other options there would even be.

Is there a movement to not use Lakewood Stadium as home field next season? If so, I'd take BW over Byers. Not sure what other options there would even be.
Not that I have heard, Lakewood stadium is an excellent venue for the Eagles. Word is the turf is being replaced this year. When I was at the last two games the turf looked very worn.

Not that I have heard, Lakewood stadium is an excellent venue for the Eagles. Word is the turf is being replaced this year. When I was at the last two games the turf looked very worn.

I thought I read in the game preview from the PD that the game was moved as Lakewood was having the new turf put in this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.