St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Iggy doesn't get it, It's pretty much a done deal. Mentor and Ed's WILL meet again. (barring major injuries between now and then. I have to put that in there. I guess there is a possibility that 1 of them would lay an egg on a night with horrendous weather, numerous turnovers, and get beat by a Euclid , Stow , or someone else. But the percentage is VERY low.

Eagles continue to improve. Opportunity today to get multiple athletes on the field in a convincing win. Ramos is going to be special. Rivalry week and the Holy War...get excited early, often, and always. Go Eagles and beat those Cats!

Last edited:
Big game this week. Eagles need to avoid the BIG play potential the Cats possess and make them earn their points. Expect the D to show a few new wrinkles this week. While previous week 10 contests might have seen both teams play a tad more conservative in prior years due to a potential face off in week 11, with a win in week 7 the Eagles could position themselves for a solid seeding in R1 and force the Cats to win out to earn a rematch with the Cardinals in week 11.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Ramos is going to be special.

+1. He's sooooooooooo smooth with the zone read. That big third down connection to Soph WR Connor Goodall is one Eds fans will be seeing over and over these next couple years. Wish they gave them both more reps on Saturday but understand they wanted to get the Sr Keefe in the end zone.

1981 7-3 St. Edward. There have been many defensive games. This one is at the top of that list. Anyone?
Good to see a few Yappis at the game tonight.
(The Good ole days)
Team defense was they key tonight. Every player on St. Edward defense made plays. The line, linebackers and the secondary were all great. I was told by family member of a coach they were planning on focusing on Peitrowski and Hankins. That was not effective because every player was making plays. It is hard to focus on all 11. The defensive backs played their best game all year, which they have played well all year. Pappas called a heck of a game as he seems to do in big games, including a Safety blitz that worked to perfection. I was happy in the 4th Qtr he kept key players on the field. I am not sure why we changed personnel and a few times that led to first downs, but when it mattered he got it right. We have a few players that need to be on the field at all times, as does any team. Overall, the best defensive performance coaching and as a whole defense front to back I have seen this year by any team in NE Ohio.

Offense just could not get it going consistently but they did get in the end zone. St. Ignatius was very tough on the line and had a good game plan. There were some open receivers we missed. That was a rough tough game. Formani continues to run hard. I wish we could get him the ball in more unpredictable ways. I felt like running to the right was more effective. To many false starts and holdings. Overall, I am proud the players kept playing hard and they will be fine.

Congrats to go our whole community and best of luck to St. Ignatius and Coach Kyle.

The W was nice to secure from our biggest rival. 1980 saw the Eagles beat the Cats 11-0 at old Municipal Stadium. For much of the game, the score was 3-0.

Mentor still poses the biggest challenge in the region. They have a three headed monster in the RPO scheme (QB, RB, and WR) that has a real opportunity to advance throughout the playoffs, much like the Eagles enjoyed in 2018. Let's continue to improve in the next three weeks, stay healthy or get healthy, and take the post season games one at a time.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
I found the trend of giving up so many third and longs, disturbing. Give Ignatius credit as it seems they converted almost 90% of their third and longs. The D would bust their tales to get to third and long and Cmiel would convert. Frustrating to watch.

Just watched the game on replay as I pick things one misses when you see it live. Eagle D only gave 3 points which is fantastic but the secondary is vulnerable and the screen was very effective against us. We never seemed to throw over the middle and seemed in love with the deep fade that never worked. We put OMalley in the position of that deep throw into the wind and kept insisting they would hit it deep and never did. Give Iggy credit as they covered it well and really were steadfast in their run D. We never really ran a screen to offset their aggressiveness. Just some thoughts on a really great HS football game. Great atmosphere. Nothing like Ohio HS football.

Team defense was they key tonight. Every player on St. Edward defense made plays. The line, linebackers and the secondary were all great. I was told by family member of a coach they were planning on focusing on Peitrowski and Hankins. That was not effective because every player was making plays. It is hard to focus on all 11. The defensive backs played their best game all year, which they have played well all year. Pappas called a heck of a game as he seems to do in big games, including a Safety blitz that worked to perfection. I was happy in the 4th Qtr he kept key players on the field. I am not sure why we changed personnel and a few times that led to first downs, but when it mattered he got it right. We have a few players that need to be on the field at all times, as does any team. Overall, the best defensive performance coaching and as a whole defense front to back I have seen this year by any team in NE Ohio.

Pappas is a wizard... One of the best HS D Coordinators you'll find. I'd suggest any Eagles fan sit behind the team for a game, close enough to the bench and you'll listen to him teach on the sideline. Man truly is an educator and every week he has that defense playing better and better.

This team will be dangerous once again in the playoffs. Still confident the O can ground and pound with anyone, adding Wainwright back into the mix is only going to open things up even more.

Great job by the Eagles, not sure if I have ever been to an Ed's v Iggy game that was 0-0 at half, although I did attend the 7-3 game in 1981 and the 11-0 game in 1980. But I'm not sure if either of those games were 0-0 at half. Certainly I did not expect this low scoring of a game given the offensive production of both teams throughout the year, I think it's a testament to how strong the defenses are for each team.

Just watched the game on replay as I pick things one misses when you see it live. Eagle D only gave 3 points which is fantastic but the secondary is vulnerable and the screen was very effective against us. We never seemed to throw over the middle and seemed in love with the deep fade that never worked. We put OMalley in the position of that deep throw into the wind and kept insisting they would hit it deep and never did. Give Iggy credit as they covered it well and really were steadfast in their run D. We never really ran a screen to offset their aggressiveness. Just some thoughts on a really great HS football game. Great atmosphere. Nothing like Ohio HS football.

An intermediate passing game is something that we have not possessed consistently in a few years. It is either not pushed or not creatively called enough. We can hit a 15 yard square route but working the seams or having an old school tight end is not something we do. I'm unsure if we do not trust our qbs to hit the windows that the middle of the field offer or in most games do not need it.

That begs the question, will he be returning to the gridiron for the remaining year or concentrate on baseball? Seems he passed on the Ignatius game despite returning to health.

That begs the question, will he be returning to the gridiron for the remaining year or concentrate on baseball? Seems he passed on the Ignatius game despite returning to health.

He passed on the Ignatius game cause he had the Florida opportunity, which is likely to get him paid in the spring. Understandable imo.

That said, was told he's returning still..

He passed on the Ignatius game cause he had the Florida opportunity, which is likely to get him paid in the spring. Understandable imo.

That said, was told he's returning still..

I don't blame him for that and I give him props for still planning to play football. He was a mismatch last year, it seemed that teams could scheme to be able to cover Kent and he would take advantage of that, providing the Eagle offense a major big play threat. Hopefully history can repeat itself as they push towards #5!

There is no disputing Wainwright's talent...baseball is his future. Although he is athletic, the timing a QB and WR must have to be effective is just as crucial to the talent level a WR might possess. While he might not pose an immediate threat on the gridiron should he return, the very fact a D will need to pay attention to him will help Foster and Lombardo enjoy greater opportunities. O'Malley has had great protection this year...a single deep ball to Wainwright could change the outcome of a game.

Go Eagles!

I think we need to reflect on this staff's playbook in year's past as the season matures and extends. Lombardo has demonstrated his play calling gets more complex week 11 on (as does DC Pappas) and can be a difference maker when the post season teams are fairly even with talent. Excited to see this 2019 squad progress in the coming weeks.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
I think we need to reflect on this staff's playbook as the season matures and extends. Lombardo has demonstrated his play calling gets more complex week 11 on (as does DC Pappas) and can be a difference maker when the post season teams are fairly even with talent. Excited to see this 2019 squad progress in the coming weeks.

Go Eagles!

There is no disputing Wainwright's talent...baseball is his future. Although he is athletic, the timing a QB and WR must have to be effective is just as crucial to the talent level a WR might possess. While he might not pose an immediate threat on the gridiron should he return, the very fact a D will need to pay attention to him will help Foster and Lombardo enjoy greater opportunities. O'Malley has had great protection this year...a single deep ball to Wainwright could change the outcome of a game.

Go Eagles!
I agree completely. I would also like to add if the intermediate pass game we can be more efficient also, especially with Wainwright. There are many in our group that notice Lombardo seemed to be open many times last week. If Lombardo can get some catches underneath, with others outside, and the running game, this offense has the ability to score every drive.

Go Eagles.

Offense. Well done, great play calling, way to use all of our weapons. The line pass blocking was the best I have seen all year.
Wainwright looked ok I might add. :).

Defense. Wow. Pappas has these kids looking dangerous. Outside of the deep pass and a 1 other play we are looking like one of the best defenses I have seen in a long time over the past few weeks, they are really clicking. The line, the blitzing, everyone going to the ball, they are a very very physical group that is fun to watch.

Go Eagles!

Perfect opportunity last night to see what the passing game can look like with its full bevy of receivers. O'Malley was very efficient, and spread the ball around nicely. What else can you say about Wainwright? Welcome back.

Excellent opportunity last night for the Eagles to demonstrate they can be a balanced O going into the post season. The goals are to get a favorable seeding in the next few weeks while winning out, remain or get healthy, and continue to tweak variables on both the O and D to be an efficient team come week 11. Please, continue to emphasize special teams in practice...BIG game changer come the post season.

Go Eagles!

Last edited:
Perfect opportunity last night to see what the passing game can look like with its full bevy of receivers. O'Malley was very efficient, and spread the ball around nicely. What else can you say about Wainwright? Welcome back.
O’Malley was 21 of 28 for 278 yards, with 3 touchdowns and a QB rating of 141. Wainwright caught those 3 TD passes (29, 41 and 22 yards). Overall, he had 7 receptions for 126 yards, an average of 18 yards per catch.

Great job by the Eagles playing against a large, talented physical team. Especially after the hard hitting emotional win over St. Ignatius.

WOW, what a difference Wainwright makes for our offense. His presence makes the passing attack open up and O'Malley does a great job distributing the ball. It's going to be exciting watching the Eagles as finish the regular season and move into the post season. Once again, great job by the defense, they are just getting better and better.

Wainwright caught those 3 TD passes (29, 41 and 22 yards). Overall, he had 7 receptions for 126 yards, an average of 18 yards per catch.

Welcome back Mr Wainwright, wow...

Good luck to opposing defenses picking who to focus on now... Can't double Montorie anymore. Likely need to pull a body out of the box, which the OL (who has been pretty dominant in every game this year) along with Formani will appreciate.

Welcome back Mr Wainwright, wow...

Good luck to opposing defenses picking who to focus on now... Can't double Montorie anymore. Likely need to pull a body out of the box, which the OL (who has been pretty dominant in every game this year) along with Formani will appreciate.

That return, albeit against Football North, was quite an "oh boy" for me. Montorie played very sparingly in Week 1. In a rematch, St Eds will have two big time play makers that didn't play at all or barely played in Week 1. That bodes trouble. Not to mention the continued growth and improvement of the Eagles' defense that is likely to suffocate Trobel as they did in November last year.

Mentor is good. Dominating the GCC. But that is nothing compared to what the Eagles have. If not for a couple Kipp fumbles (which he hasn't done since), the Week 1 game might've ended up being a comfortable 4th quarter Mentor win. I have that to hang my hat of hope on. Plus Mentor's defense is not as much of a pushover as they have been in the past. There is nobody that can impact a game like Potter on the defense, but they have been surprisingly very steady and consistent against the run and pass.

But if I'm being honest, I think there have been five Mentor teams better than this one under Triv, including probably last season. I'm not optimistic about a rematch with the Eagles. Wainwright and Foster are the biggest reasons why. Secondly, the Eagles defense. Thirdly, I don't trust that Kipp can put the offense on his back and carry them to victory as other Mentor QB's (Tanski, Trubisky, Krizancic, etc.) have been able to do in the past. I hope he can, but so far the consistency is not there. But it isn't really noticed because Mentor is just so much better than the GCC.

Not to mention the continued growth and improvement of the Eagles' defense that is likely to suffocate Trobel as they did in November last year.

I'm very much looking forward to a re-match with Mentor.. imo, Eds and Mentor are the top two teams in the state this season, and based on the games I've seen this fall there is a drop then from there. Hoping it happens, should be a fun game.

Anyway, I'm glad you took note of the D improvements though as well. The O is much easier to notice, adding two guys like Foster and Wainwright, but the D has been noticeably better as well in my mind. Hankins for instance wasn't remotely close to 100% in game one, but is now and is playing like it. Has been really playing well as of late. I believe the ones on D have only been scored on once in the second half going back to week three, and that came at Winton Woods.

I also think so much was put on controlling Kipp in game one that Trobel was overlooked and took advantage. That won't happen a second time around..

Status
Not open for further replies.