St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prep vs Ed's GAME WEEK! Pretty excited for what I hope is a good, healthy football game. If you are headed to Erie for the game I've listed 3 of my favorite places to eat and have an adult beverage before the game.

Three B Saloon-BBQ

Plymouth-Bar Food

The Cork-New Place in town. More upscale then the other two.

All Three are within 5-8 minutes of the stadium!

I remember St. Edward playing Erie Prep in the 80's. Seems like St. Eds wins most of the matchups over the years, but I do not know their record vs each other.

St. Edward leads the all-time series at 12-4. Check out the new eagle athletics web page and click football notes.

They have upgraded their history of the program and have added a ton of stats, matchups, etc, etc. It's really nice to have so much information related to the opponents, etc...

Curious to hear what the St. Ed's challenge was to get to Erie? Ive heard a couple times, that it was a surprise that they made the trip? Was it weather?
Also, would be great to hear how the teams matched up and Erie's strengths/weakness? I had this game as an Ed's 3 TD favorite. Much closer than expected. Good win!

Curious to hear what the St. Ed's challenge was to get to Erie? Ive heard a couple times, that it was a surprise that they made the trip? Was it weather?
Also, would be great to hear how the teams matched up and Erie's strengths/weakness? I had this game as an Ed's 3 TD favorite. Much closer than expected. Good win!

There was a social media threat early in the day that caused the evacuation of the school. That may be what you're hearing, but I don't know that they ever considered cancelling the trip. The bad weather that came in last night was moving west to east, so they were able to get in the game ahead of the storm. But it was very windy though from what was being reported.

As for the game, it went rather quickly as both teams were committed to the run. I don't know that Erie even completed one of the half-dozen or so pass attempts they had. Not sure if the weather dictated the gameplan, but they did have a very good running back. He picked up 180 on the ground, including a 77 yard run. Overall though, I believe Erie was held under 200 yards of offense. Similary, Ed's kept it on the ground most of the night with Formani rushing for 184 and O'Malley for 139. Eagles were able to have some success passing, but the attempts were limited. Overall, just a very workman-like approach to the game for Ed's. Dominated time of possession, and did have one TD called back for a hold and the ensuing FG attempt was kicked low into the wind and blocked.

I think the wind changed game plans for both teams. There was strong consistent wind all night with some gusts that where even stronger at times. Prep had 2 chances to win this game I believe. Both would of been big momentum changes and could of made the outcome of the game different in my opinion. The first was late in the 3rd Qtr. Ed's up 21-14. Ball on Ed's 35ish? Prep forces a 3 and out. On 4th and 10, Eds lines up to punt. ECP jumps off-sides. Now 4th and 5. Eds lines up to punt again, ECP jumps off-sides again. The second was in the 4th Qtr. Ed's forced Prep to Punt. Punt returner muffed the punt and it was a loose ball on the ground that Ed's ended up recovering. It was a great game of smash mouth football. I do kind of wish the wind wasn't such a factor, as I would of like to have seen both teams open it up a little more. Anyone know if Ed's #13 Montorie Foster is okay? He took a HUGE hit in the 4th Qtr and was down on the field for awhile. There is a video of the hit on FB under LSelb_

I think the wind changed game plans for both teams. There was strong consistent wind all night with some gusts that where even stronger at times. Prep had 2 chances to win this game I believe. Both would of been big momentum changes and could of made the outcome of the game different in my opinion. The first was late in the 3rd Qtr. Ed's up 21-14. Ball on Ed's 35ish? Prep forces a 3 and out. On 4th and 10, Eds lines up to punt. ECP jumps off-sides. Now 4th and 5. Eds lines up to punt again, ECP jumps off-sides again. The second was in the 4th Qtr. Ed's forced Prep to Punt. Punt returner muffed the punt and it was a loose ball on the ground that Ed's ended up recovering. It was a great game of smash mouth football. I do kind of wish the wind wasn't such a factor, as I would of like to have seen both teams open it up a little more.

Wind 100% played a role in the game-plan for both teams. And likewise to your call out about Prep having a chance, Eds also had multiple chances to put the game away and make it that three score situation but kept shooting itself in the foot. O scored right before the half that would have sent them in up two scores but a holding call moved them back, then the FG situation didn't work out. They also got the ball to start the second half and were marching again before some phantom holding calls were made. Officiating missed O'Malley taking a big hit on a slide too that would have helped. So calls played a role both ways.. Think you would have seen a much different game if there wasn't the 30 mph winds.

Very solid win against a good Elder ball club on Saturday afternoon. The RPO offense is much more lethal when the QB can add another dimension with his legs. It appears the O line is settled, but still auditioning at RG. Most excited to see this O compete if and when they get one of their best weapons back.

The D has some work to do yet. Early season fanfare must go and they must get more stout up the middle. Middle pressure when rushing the passer will be important as the season matures. Elder posed some challenges with athletic and long wide-outs. We still have not seen this D bring a heavy dose of "blitz" to date.

Big test next week...

Go Eagles!

Whenever you beat an undefeated Cincinnati Elder it is a good win. They gave the Eagle defense a lot of fits and pushed us, which I think was a good thing. Offense looks to be getting better each week. Huge test on Saturday against Winton Woods!

Nice win yesterday. Hopefully, Elder can make some changes on d and get a little better and make a run and get a rematch in the final.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Terrific game plan and execution by the St. Edward football team on Saturday against a quality opponent...congrats. This team continues to mature as the season progresses. A few big games still ahead, to include a rivalry game that will test their emotional metal as well.

Go Eagles!

Agree with Slammer's comments. The Eagles are looking better each week and the offense continues to improve. Still some challenging games on the back end of the schedule. Iggy will be a very formidable opponent as they had a number of injured players that did not participate in yesterday's game. Moeller came out strong against an undefeated St. X, but could not hold on for the W, so I'm sure they will be very tough. And now we know what Canada North can do. If Eds can get wins against those teams certainly a 9-1 record puts them close to the top in computer points. Maybe 2 or 3 depending on Euclid's performance. I expect Mentor to be 1st.

Great job by the Ed's football program! Good as advertised. No wonder you are a Perennial power. Good across the board. NO WEAKNESS. Very good coaching. Good luck in your quest for back to back titles.

My mid season outlook.

OLine- This unit is again controlling the LOS. Chambers, Stuart, Crowder, Aden, Kilbane, Moran. Scanlon works magic every year. This group is powerful.

RB-Keep Joey Formani healthy. Backup Watkins doing well when his number is called. I did not see any carries last week. I love the ball security. It has been great to see passes to our backs lately.

TE- Detorre does very well. I hope he is more involved at some point, which will happen.

WR-Get Lombardo the ball more. He seems to always be open. Foster, Simon and a few other are playing great. Foster is a unstoppable WR. I am impressed with their blocking as well.

QB- OMalley manages the game well, throwing great, running well also. I am very confident in him. I am looking forward to seeing Ramos when his number is called. Hopefully this week in the 2nd half we can gain a big lead and he can play. He really needs some Varsity time in case of a emergency, and he is the future of the program.

Dline-This group is playing excellent, Peitrowaki, Coangelo, Lee, and Bixby are all taking turns making plays, having Casto also is a great addition. This was a worry going into the season but not a worry now.

LB-Nash, Hankins, and I really like #45. I would like to see Nash and Hankins blitz more on late downs. As our announcer stated, let the chains off Hankins.

CB/S- Really like this group, Nash, Johnson, Donovan, and Castleberry. I would like to see a blitz from Nash as well. Despite a few deep balls they are in great coverage. This is a complete group. I feel they are the best coverage group we have had since 2015 which enables us to blitz more.

This Staff and team can clean up a few things and play their way to Canton, they still have a ways to go.

I am looking forward to seeing Ramos when his number is called. Hopefully this week in the 2nd half we can gain a big lead and he can play. He really needs some Varsity time in case of a emergency, and he is the future of the program.

O'Malley really been playing well, but I'm also excited to see the kid get his first shot hopefully very soon. He's been completely dominating JV games.

WR-Get Lombardo the ball more. He seems to always be open. Foster, Simon and a few other are playing great. Foster is a unstoppable WR. I am impressed with their blocking as well.

Adding Wainwright back into that mix is going to give this already very good offense a big lift. Could be a big difference maker come playoff time.

Adding Wainwright back into that mix is going to give this already very good offense a big lift. Could be a big difference maker come playoff time.

Along with the continued growth of Foster (who barely played in Week 1), defending the receivers is my biggest concern in a probable rematch with Eds. If Ignatius doesn't make the playoffs, it is a matter of when, not if Mentor and St Eds have a round 2. Their passing game was a mild threat in Week 1, partly due to it being O'Malley's first game. It will be a big problem for Mentor in November.

My mid season outlook.

OLine- This unit is again controlling the LOS. Chambers, Stuart, Crowder, Aden, Kilbane, Moran. Scanlon works magic every year. This group is powerful.

RB-Keep Joey Formani healthy. Backup Watkins doing well when his number is called. I did not see any carries last week. I love the ball security. It has been great to see passes to our backs lately.

TE- Detorre does very well. I hope he is more involved at some point, which will happen.

QB- OMalley manages the game well, throwing great, running well also. I am very confident in him. I am looking forward to seeing Ramos when his number is called. Hopefully this week in the 2nd half we can gain a big lead and he can play. He really needs some Varsity time in case of a emergency, and he is the future of the program.

Dline-This group is playing excellent, Peitrowaki, Coangelo, Lee, and Bixby are all taking turns making plays, having Casto also is a great addition. This was a worry going into the season but not a worry now.

LB-Nash, Hankins, and I really like #45. I would like to see Nash and Hankins blitz more on late downs. As our announcer stated, let the chains off Hankins.

CB/S- Really like this group, Nash, Johnson, Donovan, and Castleberry. I would like to see a blitz from Nash as well. Despite a few deep balls they are in great coverage. This is a complete group. I feel they are the best coverage group we have had since 2015 which enables us to blitz more.

This Staff and team can clean up a few things and play their way to Canton, they still have a ways to go.

Great summary. Although I'd disagree that the D-line was a concern going into the year. That unit returned the most talent and has lived up to expectations so far. Good depth there as well with Casto, Calhoun, and even Aden who can play on both sides of the ball. The linebacking unit as a whole was concerning with only Hankins coming back. And when he was still nursing that injury the first few weeks, they were underperforming there. #45 is senior Chris Cantrell and I agree that he has been coming on. Seems to be getting more reps over Wilber lately at the other LB spot. And seeing as how our base defense is pretty much a nickel D these days with teams spreading it out, they really only have two true LB's on the field most of the time. As you mentioned, Logan Nash has pretty much operated as a hybrid DB/LB. I would have expected to see Johnson in that role given his hitting ability, but Logan is probably better equipped to cover the slot out of that position, so I can see why Pappas is going with that.

Can't wait to see Wainwright return. Might take him a few games to get his sea legs, but that should really make us more difficult to defend. I do agree that we need to find little Lombardo more. Definitely has a knack for getting lost in the shuffle and popping out behind the coverage. If I had one gripe about O'Malley's performance so far, it's that he gets a little too locked in on Foster in the passing game sometimes.

I do agree that we need to find little Lombardo more. Definitely has a knack for getting lost in the shuffle and popping out behind the coverage.

Couldn't agree more. Incredible catch he had last weekend. Does a really good job sitting down against zone defenses too.

Status
Not open for further replies.