St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the game streamed last night? I went all through the Ed's website but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm pissed that I missed a game that went down to the final minute.
yes it was streamed on the website. On the Athletics page, just click Live Broadcasts. I believe you can still watch it now.

3rd and 22 for Mentor, Eagles go off sides, now 3 and 17, Mentor converts the long first down, eventually scores TD on the drive

4th and 8, Mentor in punt formation, Eagles go off sides again, now 4 and 3, Mentor goes for it and converts 1st down, eventually capitalizes with a TD on the drive

Two mental mistakes by the Eagle D that kept drives going. Need to clean those up.

And the botched snap on the punt. And the over thrown missed TD bomb to a wide open WR. (but I think they still may have scored on that drive.). But Mentor also had an over thrown bomb to an open WR for a missed TD.

...and Mentor fumbled twice in the red zone that could have led to additional points. Both teams made and missed plays (Eagles had more mental miscues than Mentor). The Eagles will need time to find their playmakers on O and D. Their best O player was injured and their best D player was limited, that will not help against a team as talented as Mentor.

Go Eagles!

Freshman Final: Mentor 10 Ed's 7

I'm assuming this is a typo and there should be a zero after Ed's 7...can anyone confirm? ?

Joke all you want, but Mentor freshman beating Eds freshman does not mean Eds freshman did not score a dozen times in the scrimmage at Massillon. We can watch back the video if you'd like... no need to be an arrogant #$%&, enjoy your win, congrats.

Any insights on Cass Tech? I see they lost their first game to Phillips out of Chicago, 28-9, but haven't had the time to look at anything deeper.

Any insights on Cass Tech? I see they lost their first game to Phillips out of Chicago, 28-9, but haven't had the time to look at anything deeper.

Looks like their WR/CB Kalen King had a good game last week, will be a name to keep an eye on.

Know their OL was massive last year, believe there were a couple Jrs at that time too so should see some big guys back up front. Have heard the new RB is pretty talented.

Cass Tech is never short on speed and D1 talent. Apparently they are young this year and might be going through some growing pains. Can't afford another let down like last year.

Apparently they are young this year and might be going through some growing pains. Can't afford another let down like last year.

Thought that too, but their roster has about 40 guys total; 16 Srs, 18 Jrs, 5 Soph and 1 Fr. Seems pretty standard, maybe the two deep leans more on the Jrs though, no clue... I did notice from following the Twitter updates via D Zone last weekend, a lot of their guys seems to play both ways or multiple positions, which obviously might play into our favor from a stamina stand point.

Looks like their WR/CB Kalen King had a good game last week, will be a name to keep an eye on.

Know their OL was massive last year, believe there were a couple Jrs at that time too so should see some big guys back up front. Have heard the new RB is pretty talented.

Thanks for your info. Such a crazy finish last year. It would be nice to see us avoid the untimely and unnecessary penalties from week 1 and also put some pressure on the QB this week. Always fun to watch, best value in entertainment! Weather should be great on Saturday.

A win is a win, and certainly I'll take it, but this team is still finding its way. But for 3 blocked punts, a kickoff return for a touchdown and a pick 6, this game would have been a whole lot closer. Of course those miscues by Case are part of the game, so Eds won easily, but it's a win with an asterisk. You can't get out-gained 330 to 229 and believe you're where you want to be. So I'm sure Coach will get them back to work this week and clean up a lot of issues and begin the gradual improvement necessary to eventually take on Ignatius and Mentor in November. Congrats to the Eds kids for getting the ship pointed back in the right direction and getting a win.

Lastly, #13 Montorie Foster is an incredible talent. Wow! That kid can really play. I realize he's a basketball player, but the football scouts must all be awe over his performance today.

Hope they are ready for the Cathedral Prep boys. I brag to my friends about how good Ohio football is and they laugh. So if Ed's comes to Erie next week and gets beat, I will have a lot of egg on my face and many crow feathers to eat.

A win is a win, and certainly I'll take it, but this team is still finding its way. But for 3 blocked punts, a kickoff return for a touchdown and a pick 6, this game would have been a whole lot closer. Of course those miscues by Case are part of the game, so Eds won easily, but it's a win with an asterisk. You can't get out-gained 330 to 229 and believe you're where you want to be. So I'm sure Coach will get them back to work this week and clean up a lot of issues and begin the gradual improvement necessary to eventually take on Ignatius and Mentor in November. Congrats to the Eds kids for getting the ship pointed back in the right direction and getting a win.

Lastly, #13 Montorie Foster is an incredible talent. Wow! That kid can really play. I realize he's a basketball player, but the football scouts must all be awe over his performance today.

A lot to like and dislike about the performance today. The overall yardage disadvantage doesn’t bother me when you consider how many short fields the Eagles were dealing with throughout the game because of the blocked punts. That being said, I was disappointed that we didn’t run the ball more effectively. This team got gashed on the ground the previous week and I figured we’d do the same.

The defense, which played quite well for the most part, got burned on a couple big plays. The one deep pass was just a bad matchup, but the slip screen that went for a fifty five yard TD saw the kid break about five tackles. We blitzed the corner on that play and the safeties whiffed big time. Cass Tech really only had two sustained drives the entire game. The long one in the fourth quarter was just backyard football. We were pressuring the hell out of that QB and he kept making ridiculous throws from just about every angle for completions. Credit their receivers who continually kept coming back to the football to bail him out. Still, we’ve got to be better in those situations. Allowed too many 3rd and long conversions. Need better play from the linebackers against mobile QBs. Getting out of position far too often and allowing huge cut back lanes.

Edit: It was a backup corner, not one of the LB's that got beat on the deep fly route.

As for Foster, my lord. How about that coming out party? He gets the start in place of the injured Nate Simon (and Wainwright still sidelined) and is out there making acrobat catches and continually getting behind the coverage for TD’s. That performance better have cemented him a place in the starting lineup. He could be scary good by years end.

Last edited:
Nice win by the Eagles...
  1. Special teams matter. Albeit, Cass Tech was miserable in this area, but the Eagles need this phase of the game to protect field position and allow for a competitive edge against capable opponents.
  2. Hankins appears to be getting healthier and they asked him often to play in space yesterday. Once healthy, he should make the D much stouter sideline to sideline.
  3. D was willing to blitz more often this week. This will give opposing O's more to game plan against in the coming weeks.
  4. They still need to see their QB show the willingness to run more often in this scheme. Cass Tech took Formani out of the game in the 2nd half and they had little influence to think any other running threat would hurt them.
  5. Foster appears to give this RPO offense another option. It would be nice to see what Watkins can afford them on a consistent basis on O as well.
1-1 after two weeks is a big improvement going into week 3 than last year.

Go Eagles!

Hope they are ready for the Cathedral Prep boys. I brag to my friends about how good Ohio football is and they laugh. So if Ed's comes to Erie next week and gets beat, I will have a lot of egg on my face and many crow feathers to eat.

Why laugh? Have they been ignoring the results of the Ohio/PA matchups over the past decade or so?

Nice win by the Eagles...
  1. Special teams matter. Albeit, Cass Tech was miserable in this area, but the Eagles need this phase of the game to protect field position and allow for a competitive edge against capable opponents.
  2. Hankins appears to be getting healthier and they asked him often to play in space yesterday. Once healthy, he should make the D much stouter sideline to sideline.
  3. D was willing to blitz more often this week. This will give opposing O's more to game plan against in the coming weeks.
  4. They still need to see their QB show the willingness to run more often in this scheme. Cass Tech took Formani out of the game in the 2nd half and they had little influence to think any other running threat would hurt them.
  5. Foster appears to give this RPO offense another option. It would be nice to see what Watkins can afford them on a consistent basis on O as well.
1-1 after two weeks is a big improvement going into week 3 than last year.

Go Eagles!

There were a couple times the DE sucked in and O'Malley should have kept it. He's certainly athletic enough to be a threat.

Let's hope you don't have to eat any crow. For those going up, I've found this place to be a "Lakewood like" pre-game destination. beer bbq erie pa
It is not like Lakewood. That is where Prep used to play (Erie Veterans Stadium). That was very similar to Lakewood. Prep now has their own field. It's called Dollinger Field. It only has seating on the home side. And the visiting side has railroad tracks with loud trains that come through occasionally during the games. I do not like watching a game there. You will be on the same side as the Prep fans. Enjoy the game and have a safe trip to and from. I'm going to Ignatius vs. Hoban.

Why laugh? Have they been ignoring the results of the Ohio/PA matchups over the past decade or so?
They are not in touch with the real world.
Although I would love to see the PA 6A 2 time defending state champion (potentially going on 3) St. Joe's Prep play Ohio's best team (Mentor/Ed's
Hoban, etc.. whoever it is. I think St. Joe's Prep would be the favorite in that game. But it could be a beauty!!

Last edited:
They are not in touch with the real world.
Although I would love to see the PA 6A 2 time defending state champion (potentially going on 3) St. Joe's Prep play Ohio's best team (Mentor/Ed's
Hoban, etc.. whoever it is. I think St. Joe's Prep would be the favorite in that game. But it could be a beauty!!
SJP is a very good program. I believe they split a home and home series with Iggy some years back.

SJP is a very good program. I believe they split a home and home series with Iggy some years back.

You are correct. But they are much better the last 2 years than the team that played Ignatius. They are a nationally ranked team now. Like I stated earlier, I would love to see that and it could be a fantastic game.

You are correct. But they are much better the last 2 years than the team that played Ignatius. They are a nationally ranked team now. Like I stated earlier, I would love to see that and it could be a fantastic game.

Yes, Ignatius and Philly SJP did split, each winning at home in ’14 and ’15. Prep’s D’Andre Swift, now star RB at Georgia, was a man amongst boys in ’15. I have seen them play and the SJP program is typically at least on par with St. Edward, Ignatius and Mentor. This season, they are step above even though their current record is 1-1, playing national top 10 teams thus far. The Hawks have 4-star junior QB Kyle McCord (a Ohio State verbal commit), 3-star junior LB Jeremiah Trotter (a Clemson verbal commit), 4-star junior WR Marvin Harrison, Jr. (with offers from ~25 FBS schools, including OSU, Michigan, Penn State, A&M, LSU. Harrison’s father is the NFL Hall of Famer). Lot of talent and a disciplined team with very good coaching.

It is not like Lakewood. That is where Prep used to play (Erie Veterans Stadium). That was very similar to Lakewood. Prep now has their own field. It's called Dollinger Field. It only has seating on the home side. And the visiting side has railroad tracks with loud trains that come through occasionally during the games. I do not like watching a game there. You will be on the same side as the Prep fans. Enjoy the game and have a safe trip to and from. I'm going to Ignatius vs. Hoban.
i wasn't referring to the stadium. I said pre-game destination. I was referring to the "Three B Saloon" in Erie being similar to many Lakewood watering holes. https://www.facebook.com/ThreeBSaloon/

Status
Not open for further replies.