St. Edward 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense is going to be so much fun to watch this season. Pietrowski had two sacks early, if McKinley didn't leave a TE to help chip it was game over. He's ready for a monster year from what I could see. Colangelo and Lee were active inside too. Entire D was impressive though, didn't even have all starters too. But every level is deep, Montorie Foster even looks like he's learning and settling in at CB.

Formoni on O is going to carry the rock 20-30 a game. Legs never stop, took a big shot at one point from McKinley's stud MLB but he didn't wrap and next thing you know Formani is 15 yards downfield moving a pile still. Really like the first OL unit too. O'Malley was on, I'm still learning the wideouts.

Biggest takeaway I had as an outside set of eyes to improve on was drops. Wideouts at JV level had about 8, saw a couple with Varsity too.

Also came away extremely impressed with the incoming Freshman too. LOT of size on their OL and DL class. Lombordo found some gold there...

The sophomore Ramos get any run with the one's? Who was repping at the DE spot opposite Pietrowski?

I was very impressed by your precious cargo. Lots of size, talent, and athleticism.

It was a good workout for both teams and nobody got hurt, so that's about what everybody wants to see.

However, one team that will take a scrimmage result against you very seriously will be Massillon. Their thinking is they will possibly be D2 state champion this year and if D1 champion St. Edward repeat, they will claim the scrimmage win as the decider as to who is the REAL champion of Ohio. So expect them to take your scrimmage very seriously like a playoff. They envision a propaganda coup through you lol

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

They were in the upper 70s last year. I went to a practice recently, wasn't shocked by the numbers..

Yea, last year looked strong, just had heard new freshman class was less than 50 and a drop from previous years. No clue how accurate, you know how much people talk on these things..

I was very impressed by your precious cargo. Lots of size, talent, and athleticism.

It was a good workout for both teams and nobody got hurt, so that's about what everybody wants to see.

Was concerned when your RB was down for a minute, but happy to see he bounced back and got back in there. Never want to see injuries in these sort of settings. Your MLB impressed, played some HBack too, kid is a thumper. Good all around scrimmage though..

The sophomore Ramos get any run with the one's? Who was repping at the DE spot opposite Pietrowski?

With O'Malley really taking charge as the QB1, they've had Ramos leading JV. Gets max reps that way. Will be curious to see how much time or when they get him time in a game this season. Has all the tools to be a great one.

DE opposite Jeff was Rios in the scrimmage. Calhoun and Bixby have gotten shots there too, Bixby was injured for the scrimmage though.

Was concerned when your RB was down for a minute, but happy to see he bounced back and got back in there. Never want to see injuries in these sort of settings. Your MLB impressed, played some HBack too, kid is a thumper. Good all around scrimmage though..

Yes, I was worried for a minute myself. Sometimes these things look worse initially than they are, and luckily, this was the case with our running back. The linebacker you referred to is Joe Sapaio, and he does love to hit. The young man loves the game with a great passion. He should be playing Saturdays somewhere next year.

Good luck to the Eagles this year!

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

I just read twins, Lawson and Logan Nash, have received scholarship offers from Princeton and Nathan Stuart has received a roster spot reserved from CWRU. (D3 cannot receive scholarships offers)

More examples of St. Edward lowering their academic standards to achieve excellence in the football field. ArizonaCat was nice enough to recently make this claim (although I’m sure it was a tongue in cheek comment meant to ruffle some feathers) along with 1-2 other posters that made similar remarks.

Congrats to these eagles and their future opportunities.

I just read twins, Lawson and Logan Nash, have received scholarship offers from Princeton and Nathan Stuart has received a roster spot reserved from CWRU. (D3 cannot receive scholarships offers)

More examples of St. Edward lowering their academic standards to achieve excellence in the football field. ArizonaCat was nice enough to recently make this claim (although I’m sure it was a tongue in cheek comment meant to ruffle some feathers) along with 1-2 other posters that made similar remarks.

This kills me. Many if not all of the players maintain high academics. Every year I hear excuses and people that have no idea of the standard St. Edward carries for every student-athlete. I’m always hearing they recruit, practice to much, ect. The fact is these kids work hard and have great coaching in a competitive environment.

Both twins have several Ivy League offers, Princeton and Yale among them. I imagine that is a very competitive household.

I assume the implication in that photo is that we’ll see the twins on offense this year as well. I know they were both two-way players at the lower levels.

Both looked like they got some snaps in the scrimmage last Friday, so I'd assume as much. Nice change-up to Joey Formani's downhill physical running style.

Scrimmage tomorrow with Erie McDowell at 11am behind the school. Sounds like just JV and Varsity though.

Scrimmage tomorrow with Erie McDowell at 11am behind the school. Sounds like just JV and Varsity though.

Offense looked like the bright spot along with special teams. FG kicking a little suspect. Erie McDowell first unit moved the ball while they were on the field. The Defense is not looking like the strength of this team at all.

Eds will be fine on defense. McDowell had some nice players, and their QB has talent.

Hankins didn't look like he played, and the soph Bixby is going to be great.

The Eds o line looked big and agile

Found another example of this and figured I'd better report it on Yappi so any perception of sweeping this under the rug doesn't come out from another source....

Teon Smith, Man of the Year, to walk on at Boston College

By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net
Teon Smith, the Man of the Year in 2019, has decided he will walk on to play football at Boston College, where he is already enrolled.
Smith was integral to a defense that won the State Championship inn 2018, the fourth this decade for the Eagles.
“I’ll start in January,” said Smith at a recent scrimmage. “Then I’ll be ready to play in the 2020 season.”
Smith had committed to BC long ago and has been registered there.

Norm Weber's write from the Varsity / JV scrimmage with Erie McDowell.

Nice to see basketball player Montorie Foster with 2 TD receptions. Lombardo must be licking his chops on ways to spread the ball over the field with Montorie now playing football as he enters his senior season.

By Norm Weber
nweber@sehs.net
LAKEWOOD – After giving up a 50-yard pass completion on the first play of the morning, St. Edward’s defense settled down and the varsity football Eagles went on to a victory over McDowell in the second scrimmage of the season Saturday here in Br. James Everett C.S.C. Stadium.
For what it’s worth, the Eagles’ varsity, State Champs last year and four times this decade, won the scrimmage, 24-12.
“We weren’t ready on the first play with the long pass, but from then on in the defense played pretty well,” said St. Edward Head Coach Tom Lombardo.
Using three quarterbacks, the offense put up four scores.
“We moved the ball consistently on offense,” Coach Lombardo said. “We did well in different situations of the scrimmage.”
The scrimmage started off with special teams. The Eagles made their first five PAT/Field Goal kicks, including one from 37 yards and Richard Johnson blocked a punt.
“The blocked punt was excellent,” Coach Lombardo said. “We are looking for guys who can block the punt. I liked that in there. The field goals were good, but it was a little disappointing that we didn’t make the field goal in a game situation.”
After the varsity series, the JV units went on the field for two series, the Eagles winning that segment, 18-0.
“They really looked terrific,” said Coach Tom about the JVs.
The Trojan varsity did score after that long pass, but then the defense did not allow them to midfield the rest of the 10-play series.
The Eagles answered with a 37-yard touchdown pass from Conor O”Malley to Michael Lombardo, making it 6-6.
In the rest of the first offensive series, the Eagles drove to inside the 10-yard line, but ended it on a missed a field goal attempt. Joey Formani had a 25-yard run and O’Malley completed a pass to Nate Simon in the drive for a first down.
McDowell could get to the Eagle 30 on the next 10 plays but no father on Coach Pete Pappas’ defense.
Malachi Watkins took over at tailback on the next series. He carried six times including a 12-yard TD run that made it 12-6. O’Malley hit Simon for a 15-yarvd pickup in the drive.
The defense of St. Ed’s denied the Trojans a Red Zone chance on the next 10 plays.
Formani scampered for a 44-yard gain to put the Eagles into the Red Zone. On loan from the basketball program, Montorie Foster caught a touchdown pass from Broden Bostwick to make it 18-6.
Right after Foster’s score, Andrew Shaver ran for a 15-yard gain to midfield. Shaver also had a 10-yard run later after the defense denied the Trojans another Red Zone chance.
St. Edward’s final varsity score came on a 65-yard TD pass from Bostwick to Foster. Also on loan from basketball, Zach Chatmon caught a 12-yard pass from Christian Ramos.
Ramos then segued his quarterback work into the JV section, which was highlighted by two pick-sixes by Nathan Fallon.
On one JV defensive series, the Eagles forced a fumble, had a sack (by Matthew Oudeman), had a tackle for loss and an interception.
A 17-yard run by Ramos set up a score by William Runple. Ramos completed four of five passes in the scoring drive.
Ramos later had a 44-yard run.
Posted Yesterday by Norm Weber

Offense looked like the bright spot along with special teams. FG kicking a little suspect. Erie McDowell first unit moved the ball while they were on the field. The Defense is not looking like the strength of this team at all.

McDowell O got them on the first series, really that first play of the scrimmage. Other then that the first team D (minus Lee and Hankins) was pretty good actually.

Agree, O looked good on Saturday though. Lil Lombardo has some wheels.

Chatmon putting on the pads this year as well. He could be a nice redzone target at 6'5. I hope this trend continues of more multi-sport players. Everyone is so focused on specialization these days, playing one sport year round. Especially the hoopers. But the reality is there are few roster spots out there at big-time college programs, and unless you are a blue-chipper, you're looking at joining a mid-major program at best. There is a need for athletic bigs and long defensive backs in the college football game these days, and I wonder why we don't see more of these athletic but undersized (by basketball standards) guys making the transition.

Love that OL... and it was missing Crowder at C on Saturday too. Big reason for not being too worried about the O heading into the season; they open a lot of running lanes and give O'Malley time.

Ps. Anyone see the Soph Ramos late with Varsity then all of JV? He's going to be special.. ?

Chatmon putting on the pads this year as well. He could be a nice redzone target at 6'5. I hope this trend continues of more multi-sport players. Everyone is so focused on specialization these days, playing one sport year round. Especially the hoopers. But the reality is there are few roster spots out there at big-time college programs, and unless you are a blue-chipper, you're looking at joining a mid-major program at best. There is a need for athletic bigs and long defensive backs in the college football game these days, and I wonder why we don't see more of these athletic but undersized (by basketball standards) guys making the transition.

Ahhhh, that's who the tall wideout was...

Love the hoopers playing this year. Montorie Foster's big TD reception was nice too. Went down as a 65 yard score in Norm's report, but Foster caught it about 15-20 yards up field on the sideline before making a couple defenders miss in the open field. Could be a nice weapon for the O.

Eds will be fine on defense. McDowell had some nice players, and their QB has talent.

Hankins didn't look like he played, and the soph Bixby is going to be great.

Ok i
McDowell O got them on the first series, really that first play of the scrimmage. Other then that the first team D (minus Lee and Hankins) was pretty good actually.

Agree, O looked good on Saturday though. Lil Lombardo has some wheels.
The first play, 2nd play easy TD, a deep ball missed would have been a score down their sideline. I also felt like they ran well on their right side and could have had success in a game. That QB was talented and could have took off running a few times as well. Pappas is a great coach and I am sure this will all be cleaned up. I am also sure when Hankins is back they will be fine, he changed that whole defense last year flying around making plays. As of now they seem slower than last years Defense. Also, I guess it is hard to blitz a QB you cannot hit.

OL was fantastic. I’m very excited about this group and our Offense. Lombardo is the kid every great team needs.

My overall take is that this team can win another State Championship after they clean a few things up, and they will.

Last edited:
The first play, 2nd play easy TD, a deep ball missed would have been a score down their sideline. I also felt like they ran well on their right side and could have had success in a game. That QB was talented and could have took off running a few times as well. Pappas is a great coach and I am sure this will all be cleaned up. I am also sure when Hankins is back they will be fine, he changed that whole defense last year flying around making plays. As of now they seem slower than last years Defense. Also, I guess it is hard to blitz a QB you cannot hit.

First two plays, wholeheartedly agree... but coulda woulda shoulda shots down the sideline can apply to almost every pass attempt, reality is that one was overshot slightly. That's part of the game, goes in the book as a win for the D.

I brought a notebook up and took notes on each play and aside from the first series you laid out, D was fine. Generated a couple three and outs following the first series. Obviously stuff to clean up, it's a scrimmage there always will be, but when ones (minus Lee and Hankins who didn't play) were out there they did well.

To me, most impressive individual on McDowell's roster was the LT. 6-3, 320 kid. Three year starter, good mobility. He stopped even Jeff from getting a pass rush.

I believe that Pappas also went pretty vanilla and didn't show any blitz packages, as he had about 10 opposing coaches he'll see in nine days hanging out up on the stairs watching every move. Not intended as an excuse, just an added FYI.

All in all, I agree, Pappas is a great coach and know those little things will get cleaned up. What he did last fall was wizard like...

Has little Castleberry been playing the corner spot opposite Logan?

Jaylen Castleberry (Jr CB) got some time, looked like he was the third CB. Joel Castleberry (Soph CB) got some snaps with second/third team too I believe. Didn't get name of kid that started opposite Logan though. Got his practice jersey number :)

Love that OL... and it was missing Crowder at C on Saturday too. Big reason for not being too worried about the O heading into the season; they open a lot of running lanes and give O'Malley time.

Ps. Anyone see the Soph Ramos late with Varsity then all of JV? He's going to be special.. ?

Before the practice / scrimmage portion of the season got underway, I was wondering if the Sophomore was going to challenge for the starting position spot, but it appears to be O'Malley, Bostwick and then Ramos in terms of QB depth chart. After watching that highlight video on YouTube, I came away thoroughly impressed with his potential.

I believe the O'Malley family has like 5 boys that were or will be involved with the program.

Jaylen Castleberry (Jr CB) got some time, looked like he was the third CB. Joel Castleberry (Soph CB) got some snaps with second/third team too I believe. Didn't get name of kid that started opposite Logan though. Got his practice jersey number :)

Donovan Stanley has been the other CB in the base 4-3 looks from the first two scrimmages, but when they go nickel, Don and Jaylen are the outside guys and Nash slides into nickel.

Status
Not open for further replies.