St. Edward 2019

papride

Prep vs Ed's GAME WEEK! Pretty excited for what I hope is a good, healthy football game. If you are headed to Erie for the game I've listed 3 of my favorite places to eat and have an adult beverage before the game.

Three B Saloon-BBQ

Plymouth-Bar Food

The Cork-New Place in town. More upscale then the other two.

All Three are within 5-8 minutes of the stadium!

I remember St. Edward playing Erie Prep in the 80's. Seems like St. Eds wins most of the matchups over the years, but I do not know their record vs each other.

eaglepride

St. Edward leads the all-time series at 12-4. Check out the new eagle athletics web page and click football notes.

They have upgraded their history of the program and have added a ton of stats, matchups, etc, etc. It's really nice to have so much information related to the opponents, etc...

Curious to hear what the St. Ed's challenge was to get to Erie? Ive heard a couple times, that it was a surprise that they made the trip? Was it weather?
Also, would be great to hear how the teams matched up and Erie's strengths/weakness? I had this game as an Ed's 3 TD favorite. Much closer than expected. Good win!

EaglePride01

Curious to hear what the St. Ed's challenge was to get to Erie? Ive heard a couple times, that it was a surprise that they made the trip? Was it weather?
Also, would be great to hear how the teams matched up and Erie's strengths/weakness? I had this game as an Ed's 3 TD favorite. Much closer than expected. Good win!
There was a social media threat early in the day that caused the evacuation of the school. That may be what you're hearing, but I don't know that they ever considered cancelling the trip. The bad weather that came in last night was moving west to east, so they were able to get in the game ahead of the storm. But it was very windy though from what was being reported.

As for the game, it went rather quickly as both teams were committed to the run. I don't know that Erie even completed one of the half-dozen or so pass attempts they had. Not sure if the weather dictated the gameplan, but they did have a very good running back. He picked up 180 on the ground, including a 77 yard run. Overall though, I believe Erie was held under 200 yards of offense. Similary, Ed's kept it on the ground most of the night with Formani rushing for 184 and O'Malley for 139. Eagles were able to have some success passing, but the attempts were limited. Overall, just a very workman-like approach to the game for Ed's. Dominated time of possession, and did have one TD called back for a hold and the ensuing FG attempt was kicked low into the wind and blocked.

papride

I think the wind changed game plans for both teams. There was strong consistent wind all night with some gusts that where even stronger at times. Prep had 2 chances to win this game I believe. Both would of been big momentum changes and could of made the outcome of the game different in my opinion. The first was late in the 3rd Qtr. Ed's up 21-14. Ball on Ed's 35ish? Prep forces a 3 and out. On 4th and 10, Eds lines up to punt. ECP jumps off-sides. Now 4th and 5. Eds lines up to punt again, ECP jumps off-sides again. The second was in the 4th Qtr. Ed's forced Prep to Punt. Punt returner muffed the punt and it was a loose ball on the ground that Ed's ended up recovering. It was a great game of smash mouth football. I do kind of wish the wind wasn't such a factor, as I would of like to have seen both teams open it up a little more. Anyone know if Ed's #13 Montorie Foster is okay? He took a HUGE hit in the 4th Qtr and was down on the field for awhile. There is a video of the hit on FB under LSelb_

EdsFan82

I think the wind changed game plans for both teams. There was strong consistent wind all night with some gusts that where even stronger at times. Prep had 2 chances to win this game I believe. Both would of been big momentum changes and could of made the outcome of the game different in my opinion. The first was late in the 3rd Qtr. Ed's up 21-14. Ball on Ed's 35ish? Prep forces a 3 and out. On 4th and 10, Eds lines up to punt. ECP jumps off-sides. Now 4th and 5. Eds lines up to punt again, ECP jumps off-sides again. The second was in the 4th Qtr. Ed's forced Prep to Punt. Punt returner muffed the punt and it was a loose ball on the ground that Ed's ended up recovering. It was a great game of smash mouth football. I do kind of wish the wind wasn't such a factor, as I would of like to have seen both teams open it up a little more.
Wind 100% played a role in the game-plan for both teams. And likewise to your call out about Prep having a chance, Eds also had multiple chances to put the game away and make it that three score situation but kept shooting itself in the foot. O scored right before the half that would have sent them in up two scores but a holding call moved them back, then the FG situation didn't work out. They also got the ball to start the second half and were marching again before some phantom holding calls were made. Officiating missed O'Malley taking a big hit on a slide too that would have helped. So calls played a role both ways.. Think you would have seen a much different game if there wasn't the 30 mph winds.