St. Edward 2010-11

OK, story clarified... I did not realize the Baron Cup counts as 1 of the 18 points, so yes the Eagles had 19 points scheduled if you look at the schedule above (13 games and 6 tourneys including Baron Cup). Supposedly they were counting the Gilmour game as a scrimmage, but Gilmour was not.

So, the University School game is canceled and US is getting 2 points in the Red North standings.

St. Edward opens up the Baron Cup with a tough Shaker Heights team. University School is the likely 2nd round/semi-final opponent. They would have had Holy Name in 1st round if they had played and beat US on Saturday, FWIW.

Last edited:
St. Edward loses to University School in Baron Cup semi-finals. On to postseason, schedule updated near top of thread. Should be favorite to make it to District title game vs Ignatius, but no sure thing.

Last edited:
Good question. If schools pick their spot, I'd have to think it was St. Edward's choice, not Strongsville's. St. Edward beat them 2-1 in OT and 6-0 this season.

Eagles should have been #2 seed anyway, they had better season than Strongsville and finished ahead of them in standings.

State rankings as of 2/21:

1) St. Francis
2) St. Ignatius
3) Gilmour
4) St. John
5) St. Edward

And some people complain about the Catholics dominating football!

SJ has dominated Cleveland so far, they have played Ignatius 2 or 3 times, I know that they lost once but they crushed them in the final of that tourny. The team does sound concerned with Ed's because they have not met this year, but they have to get over a huge hump and beat St. Francis first. I would not be surpised to see a Toledo team in the finals. And I think that they would have the upper hand in the finals also.

SJ has dominated Cleveland so far, they have played Ignatius 2 or 3 times, I know that they lost once but they crushed them in the final of that tourny. The team does sound concerned with Ed's because they have not met this year, but they have to get over a huge hump and beat St. Francis first. I would not be surpised to see a Toledo team in the finals. And I think that they would have the upper hand in the finals also.

Really??? Do you think it has anything with the Toledo district winner playing the southern district winner?

Cleveland gets to slug it out in the other semi-final.

If SJ didn't have to play SF 5 times this year and Northview 4 times they would be #1. Ed's and Ignatius dont have that kind of compitition. I think it's almost a walk through to the finals through the State Semi's. Then the State ship will be tough for the Toledo winner, but no more tough than our district final right now.

Ed's can win a state title, and so can Ignatius but no one else really has a shot. U school is down this year. And whoever else is still left is out of luck

Odd's for a state Title.
SF 50%
Iggy 20%
SJ 15%
Ed's 14%
U-school 1%

St. Francis is probably the best team in the state. That being said, I think SJJ will beat them just based on the fact that SFS has beaten SJJ 6 or 7 times in a row and its tough for a team to beat another team that many consecutive times.

But St. Edward played:

SFS 4 times
NV 2 times
SJJ 1 time
PLus they played:

SI 3 times
US 3 times

How does that not equate to competition?

The latest and presumably last state rankings:

1) St. Francis
2) Ignatius
3) Gilmour
4) Ed's
5) Sylvania
6) University School
7) St. John's

Regarding the recent infusion of Toledo area people on this thread -- granted that this year may see a state champion from Toledo, but don't we hear every year that a Toledo team will win it all, but then a Cleveland team always wins it. Considering that the Toledo team has what essentially is a bye in the semifinals, predicting that a Toledo will reach the finals is not exactly going out on a limb.

SJ was 2-2 against Northview, we are 0-4 against SF this year, and I believe 2-1 against Iggy (7-2, 7-3, and something like 3-2 in the loss, these aren't totally accurate but it's close to that). SJ has not played Ed's. We killed U school, and SJ won it in 07, and NView was runner up last year, in 09 we lost by 1 in the championship. It's about time we get an easy road to states. Cleveland had it for 35 years. Now they switched it so Sylvania get's the south first.

BG, Findlay, SFS, SJJ, and NV is the toughest league in ohio. Aren't all in the top 10?

SJ was 2-2 against Northview, we are 0-4 against SF this year, and I believe 2-1 against Iggy (7-2, 7-3, and something like 3-2 in the loss, these aren't totally accurate but it's close to that). SJ has not played Ed's. We killed U school, and SJ won it in 07, and NView was runner up last year, in 09 we lost by 1 in the championship. It's about time we get an easy road to states. Cleveland had it for 35 years. Now they switched it so Sylvania get's the south first.

BG, Findlay, SFS, SJJ, and NV is the toughest league in ohio. Aren't all in the top 10?

You're delusional. Bragging about close losses in the finals?? What region/city was winning those titles?

Ohio hockey champions, 2000-2010:

2000 - St. Ignatius
2001 - Shaker Heights
2002 - St. Ed's
2003 - University School
2004 - St. Ed's
2005 - St. Ed's
2006 - Padua
2007 - St. John's
2008 - St. Ed's
2009 - University School
2010 - St. Ignatius

Not exactly domination by Toledo schools, right? Looks like Cleveland over Toledo 10-1, with 5 different Cleveland schools winning titles.

SJ has been good recently tho. Our league has risen from what it was to the toughest in Ohio the last two years. That doesn't mean teams can't play tough schedules Out of conference. But we are forced to play really good teams in our league, and that is what explains the losses and the low ranking. A team with our amount of losses in Cleveland right now would be the 6th seed (of cleveland). But because Sylvania has been so tough the last two years, our team with 7 or 8, however many losses is still 7th in the state.

In the playoffs, I think everyone agrees that anything can happen. But Sylvania is the toughest region this year. Not too far into the past, but now it is.