Springfield hot seat

DowntownBrown

Coming off the upset over the Coventry comets I thought the Spartans were on the rise even though the comets were minus their best player. With the big win coming into field week the Spartans could have strung together 2 in a row, but field hung 40 plus on them to knock the Spartans back down. With a few games what does this mean for the head coaches future as a Spartan.

Getting throttled by Field is inexcusable (primarily because I picked Springfield in the Summit County pick 'em).

Springfield needs more than just more coaching turnover. They need a commitment to developing the program from the youth level up. That's the only way for a public to remain consistently good.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear ya @clarkgriswold ! Just seems like the current HC isn’t what the Spartans need. Probably is tough taking your bosses old job. We’ll see how the end of the season turns out. Depending on if he can keep players and coaches interested and committed I think is the determining factor if he’s back or not.

I'd heard that both the DC and OC that they started with have resigned. Is the head coach that hard to work with or is it something else.

Not a good look when that happens @chito. At some point bostko needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out if this whole coaching thing is for him. Seems like he’s only in it for the fame at this point. More like a soap opera then football program.

Sounds like the Spartans need to have a new face, who isn't within the district to change the culture. Losing culture stays the same until there is some kind of change. Seems the spartans have grown accustomed to losing. I give Bosko until November 1st to remain HC.

Not a good look when that happens @chito. At some point bostko needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out if this whole coaching thing is for him. Seems like he’s only in it for the fame at this point. More like a soap opera then football program.

Fame???? From the Springfield football HC job?????? He needs a psych eval.

Who knows right now. I would bet there will be a bunch of veteran average head coaches that aren't head coaches anymore that apply. It's going to take a young hungry coach that will put the time in and turn Springfield around

This seems more a community issue than a coach issue. Springfield has an outstanding Cross Country and Track and Field coach and coaching staff. Both the Cross Country and Track and Field programs improved rather quickly, but then has leveled off for the past few years. You can only work with what you have. I also think it's rather pathetic (for lack of a better word) to talk about getting rid of a high school coach. Unless that coach is just grossly incompetent or puts kids in danger. It's High School not the pro's

Has anyone else heard if the mike vrabel rumors are true .... was a Springfield guy before getting snatched up by Walsh .... i think he coaches the titans now but someone said he may be interested in coming back home

They had the perfect head coach years ago, Larry Murphy, from Mogadore, but they only gave him one or two seasons and fired him. He would've made that program into Mogadore West but the administration at the time had no foresight. Shame on them. Now they have bigger kids and bigger numbers in the marching band!

Has anyone else heard if the mike vrabel rumors are true .... was a Springfield guy before getting snatched up by Walsh .... i think he coaches the titans now but someone said he may be interested in coming back home
Whatever the person who said that was drinking, I'll have two!!

They had the perfect head coach years ago, Larry Murphy, from Mogadore, but they only gave him one or two seasons and fired him. He would've made that program into Mogadore West but the administration at the time had no foresight. Shame on them. Now they have bigger kids and bigger numbers in the marching band!

So, what is different about not letting the current coach have more time? I know Murphy, so I don't disagree with you, but everyone needs time and it might be the same thing for this coach. I don't know this coach for nothing, so I'm talking in general. Is the proposed sports facility going to be a reality anytime soon? That could help a lot getting people more involved.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Mike Vrabel! I remember watching him play back in 92 against Massillon . But on a more realistic note- some coaching candidates might be K Boyd, Canavan, J Kinsey, B Grubbs or possibly KV steps back in. Just some names in circulation, nothing for sure just names heard.

I’ve heard the names Kinsey and Grubbs circulate around the rumor mill but I don’t think those are serious inquires ... Would Curry be interested? I know he just took over the softball program and has been a Springfield guy for a long time with a ton of knowledge on the game .... May be a lot to juggle but could be the right fit for what they need

Getting throttled by Field is inexcusable (primarily because I picked Springfield in the Summit County pick 'em).

Springfield needs more than just more coaching turnover. They need a commitment to developing the program from the youth level up. That's the only way for a public to remain consistently good.

There numbers in their youth program have been bad for a while now. Rumors have them possibly going completely away from tackle football all together in their youth programs.

There numbers in their youth program have been bad for a while now. Rumors have them possibly going completely away from tackle football all together in their youth programs.

That's not a bad move if you replace it at the younger levels with flag football. Many kids get a more rounded and fundamentally sound experience through flag.

It sounds like a Springfield could use effective long-term leadership in its youth program as much or more than it could use a new high school HC.

Springfield has been down for a long time. Hope they get it turned around. Hey, Norton and Coventry were bad for years and they've both had 8-2 seasons, Why not Springfield? Good luck to the Spartans.

I would seriously consider Grubbs as an option too at least as a coordinator .... I know a few coaches who have talked Xs and Os with him before at clinics and he has some unconventional ideas but they could be very disruptive in there league

Information from a friend of mine who was out golfing today because he had the day off for NEOEA day saw the AD of SHS shooting a round with Kinsey and his right hand man Ricci. Could this possibly be regarding Kinsey being the next HC at SHS??

Wow this is nuts my cousin is friends with ricci and just sent me the exact same thing! I guess the superintendent was involved some how too ... very exciting for Springfield if it holds true

It’s almost safe to say if Kinsey did take the job he would ask curry to be on staff ... Kinsey is also the baseball coach and with curry as the softball coach it would be great to see two varsity experienced heads on the same sideline .....

Talked to some Springfield people in the know last night at Jerzees. They're hearing Steve Shaffer may throw his hat in the ring. He's tired of seeing his alma mater get beat up in the PTC Metro. He turned the basketball program around years ago, why not the football program?