Springfield Catholic Central Coaching Vacancy

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
Springfield Catholic Central head coach Mike Mckenna recently resigned. anyone have any word on why?

I know nothing so this is a total guess.
He could flat be worn out by trying with such a limited roster. It takes a lot of energy to try to move a program forward, and I don’t mean that poorly towards the young men he was coaching it’s a lot of work on both ends.

The other part of me wonders if he was forced out with intentions of bringing in the Jr High recruiting coordinator. That’s happened in other sports at Central.

SCC's 9th, 8th and 7th grade classes have some talent. I would guess it's what DTR said. The Jr. High guy seems to be building the program back up.

it’ll be interesting to see what happens. maybe they will bring in the JH coach or they will bring in an area high school assistant.

Any chance they might consider going to an 8-man team? It would be more practical, but a long way from an adequate number of other such schools.

This year, at least... :confused:

if i were central and numbers are bad again, i would go to 8 man, and then move to the MBC in all other sports

I don't think they'll be going to 8 man. Right now it looks like the numbers should improve some over the next two years, and the quality of play should improve in two years. Next year will likely be rough again, but things should get better if they can gut through it.

I don't think they'll be going to 8 man. Right now it looks like the numbers should improve some over the next two years, and the quality of play should improve in two years. Next year will likely be rough again, but things should get better if they can gut through it.
just a big if. if some of the freshmen they had this year bail out, it has to be an option.

Word is they denied a bunch of scholarships

Where would be the closest 8 man league? I'm not aware of any locally, that's the only reason I ask. SCC was dominant in many sports when I was in high school, but that also shows you how things can change in 20 years.

Where would be the closest 8 man league? I'm not aware of any locally, that's the only reason I ask. SCC was dominant in many sports when I was in high school, but that also shows you how things can change in 20 years.
there is none. they would be stuck playing teams like Zanesville Rosecrans. i would love to see Yellow Springs start and 8 man team. SCC used to be very good in football with a lot of deep runs. the basketball program had been up for a couple years but is traditionally very good

I would think fielding an 8 man team around here would involve a ton of travel unless you could coerce MBC schools like Yellow Springs, Emmanuel Christian, etc. to start 8 man programs.

I would think fielding an 8 man team around here would involve a ton of travel unless you could coerce MBC schools like Yellow Springs, Emmanuel Christian, etc. to start 8 man programs.

That's what made me curious, I wasn't aware of any existing leagues in the area. I know a school in the CCC, Bradford, has only fielded a team with 13 players the past two seasons. I'm not sure how they actually made it through each season.

Central problem in football is they would always get kids who would never get to play at Shawnee or North/South. Now those kids choose to stay at their schools. Plus has been several instances for whatever reason a parent will have 2 kids they accept one for ed choice and deny other. Not many parents can afford the 10k to attend. Sad where that program has gone, basketball has done well the last few years so its a wonder if it’s coaching as well since the legendary coach stepped down

Does Yellow Springs even have any interest in restarting its football program? Soccer makes it iffy at most of the Metro Buckeye schools.

Does Yellow Springs even have any interest in restarting its football program? Soccer makes it iffy at most of the Metro Buckeye schools.

I doubt it. If they ever did, it would have to be 8 man.

They seemed to have very iffy interest and support at best for football 10-15 years ago. I can't see it being any better now.

The biggest problem Central seems to have IMO is that the number of legacy family types has plummeted over the last 20 years, and at their current tuition recruiting new students around here is tough.

The 8th grade class (15 kids I believe)coming up won their conference in back to back years in middle school and went undefeated in 6th grade. It will take some time but with the right coaching things can turn around. Varsity numbers should go from the 18-19 to the mid 30s next year which will be huge.

The 8th grade class (15 kids I believe)coming up won their conference in back to back years in middle school and went undefeated in 6th grade. It will take some time but with the right coaching things can turn around. Varsity numbers should go from the 18-19 to the mid 30s next year which will be huge.
you think it will get all the way up to 30? i mean i agree with you the JH class coming up is very good but i’m not sure it gets past 24 (which is still huge)

I dont see why not. 19 kids this year with only two seniors. Add the 8th grade class and possibly a few of the other kids who quit because of the state of the program and thats in the 30s.

I dont see why not. 19 kids this year with only two seniors. Add the 8th grade class and possibly a few of the other kids who quit because of the state of the program and thats in the 30s.
usually when you translate junior high to high school, about half the kids keep playing. some leave for soccer and cross country, year round baseball, or just don’t wanna commit to high school.

All these kids are a tight knit group who have been together in all three sports for 3-4 years now. I doubt a single one drops off but maybe 1 or 2 could. I get what youre saying but these kids are pretty solid. Fingers crossed

Wishing SCC good luck in getting the program back on the rails. Have been kvetching about Fisher Catholic's football future in a separate thread. 26 on the roster this year, but 13 were seniors. Two years of PO's and solid play. And yet facing 13 returnees immediately after. The "news" of SCC surviving with only 19 kids this year gives me hope.