Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

they want Bales. they voted again last night at board meeting on creating a job for him at the school.

they informed Cumberland and Albright they are going in another direction, unless it can't be worked out in Bales.
How was the vote? Heard they tabled it last time

Curious as to why? He's an extremely good coach, has had success everywhere he's been. What is it he lacks that equates to getting rolled in the GWOC besides the talent within the program? In my opinion, if the parents will get out of the way out there, he'll get those kids to buy in, play harder, and will work his tail off preparing them to win. If hired and given a couple seasons, I can see kids coming to Springboro just to play for him.
Again, what are these rave reviews based on? I’m really curious because I don’t see much but league championships in a league where he always had more talent than the rest of the league.

Again, what are these rave reviews based on? I’m really curious because I don’t see much but league championships in a league where he always had more talent than the rest of the league.
You are not wrong but believe he is going to be the coach. Is this a good job if Greer leaves? Not sure why he would stay when he could play for Cupps at Centerville

Not being snarky or condescending, but have you followed Franklin basketball much over the last 20 years? They weren't some power before he got there. Granted he's from there, but the community buy in and the culture they built was pretty awesome. 12 or 13 titles out of how many seasons is hard to do in any league. He was beating NAIA and D2 schools while at MUM , if he has the talent, he can coach. Aside from "more talent than the rest of the league", what's your hang up? Or are you just saying that it's taken too long and Springboro should have already moved on to another candidate? If that's the case, a neighboring community doing whatever they have to do to land him should answer your question.

How was the vote? Heard they tabled it last time
I just saw that they approved the creation of something along the lines of "K-12 Coordinator of Behavior and Intervention Services".

Assuming this is for him, it will probably be another 2-3 weeks to go through the process of listing the job and approving the hire at another board meeting.

I just saw that they approved the creation of something along the lines of "K-12 Coordinator of Behavior and Intervention Services".

Assuming this is for him, it will probably be another 2-3 weeks to go through the process of listing the job and approving the hire at another board meeting.
Being a personnel issue, could they technically hold a "special" meeting to hire a coach in less time? Would be hard to salvage any kind of summer getting the reigns at the end of May.

Being a personnel issue, could they technically hold a "special" meeting to hire a coach in less time? Would be hard to salvage any kind of summer getting the reigns at the end of May.
Depending on district policy, I imagine they have to post the position for anywhere from 7-14 days.

I fully understand, but this has become a problem at many schools. Schools should open it up for a couple weeks in late March//early April and make a decision. Either the administrators at some of these schools are clueless or they think their school is going to get an amazing Hire. Due a quick/thorough process and hire a freaking coach. Wow

No, only Springboro insiders. Area wide no one cares, Springboro is not relevant. Heck, it's been a month since the dead period was lifted and the administration still doesn't have candidates....that's how you know they don't care about winning.....
BINGO

It's Bales. they just had to post the new position that got passed for a couple days. Will be announced in the next few days

I hope Mr Bales coaches to the advantage of the talent he has available instead of pounding a square peg into a round hole. Also hope he is creative in his concept of playing basketball instead of relying on players looking to him to call a play every time down the court. It seem as though we have the talent in Springboro, but doing what everyone else is doing is a loser. If one cannot maximize strengths while simultaneously minimizing weaknesses given the match ups the opposing team presents, we will be in trouble.

I hope Mr Bales coaches to the advantage of the talent he has available instead of pounding a square peg into a round hole. Also hope he is creative in his concept of playing basketball instead of relying on players looking to him to call a play every time down the court. It seem as though we have the talent in Springboro, but doing what everyone else is doing is a loser. If one cannot maximize strengths while simultaneously minimizing weaknesses given the match ups the opposing team presents, we will be in trouble.
I hope you support him. Whatever the issues are, they won't be solved overnight.

Parents starting in already and it's not even official yet^^^^^^^^^?

Can you share what "the advantage of the talent" is at Springboro? They have been at the bottom of the GWOC in FG% the last three years so it certainly isn't offensive efficiency.

In the times I watched Franklin play they were more of a "sets" team than a fast paced motion team so you may see players looking to him for play calls.

Better get the email to the AD drafted before the season starts.....

Boro will be alright just let the coaches coach. They got a huge upside with Greer and should be decent in the league.

Not being snarky or condescending, but have you followed Franklin basketball much over the last 20 years? They weren't some power before he got there. Granted he's from there, but the community buy in and the culture they built was pretty awesome. 12 or 13 titles out of how many seasons is hard to do in any league. He was beating NAIA and D2 schools while at MUM , if he has the talent, he can coach. Aside from "more talent than the rest of the league", what's your hang up? Or are you just saying that it's taken too long and Springboro should have already moved on to another candidate? If that's the case, a neighboring community doing whatever they have to do to land him should answer your question.
I’ve seen his team many times. He’s a good coach. I just don’t understand all the gushing until he puts more than an SWBL trophy in the case. He gets three or four years before expectations really begin to increase. I’m anxious to see the Springboro program down the road. All of this praise seems premature.

Last edited:
Bingo on the above. Doing the same thing incorrectly will never make a kid better and unfortunately that is what is happening with these marathon tournament appearances against marginal talent during the offseason. If, however, a kid manages to practice consistently for an hour or so a day the right way to do things, improvement will be seen. If they practice the same wrong thing a million times, they will still not get better.
Quality plus quantity. Depends on you goals. You had better be doing your individual workout daily if the next level is your goal.
You are not wrong but believe he is going to be the coach. Is this a good job if Greer leaves? Not sure why he would stay when he could play for Cupps at Centerville
Is he a Motion kid? If not, Centerville might not be the place.