Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

westpointcadet

How could one of the most affluent school districts have such an issue? It is not like parents don’t support the kids. Might be a cancer in the school building metastasizing in the Athletic Director’s office.

They appear to have gaffed really badly with their last hire, but if a school like that is mowing through a different coach on average every 1-2 years I can almost guarantee there is a parent related problem and that a big part of any AD/admin related problem is how the AD/admin deals with parental complaints and interference.

They appear to have gaffed really badly with their last hire, but if a school like that is mowing through a different coach on average every 1-2 years I can almost guarantee there is a parent related problem and that a big part of any AD/admin related problem is how the AD/admin deals with parental complaints and interference.
Their last choice of head coaches was like buying a Lamborghini from a used car salesman.

With that being said people that follow high school athletics closely understand what is going on at Springboro, parents are getting in the way. If their kid isn't playing as much as they think they should they are running to the AD. If their child gets their feelings hurt they are running to the Admin. You can't coach these kids because the parents get in the way! Springboro is a no win situation!

Their last choice of head coaches was like buying a Lamborghini from a used car salesman.

With that being said people that follow high school athletics closely understand what is going on at Springboro, parents are getting in the way. If their kid isn't playing as much as they think they should they are running to the AD. If their child gets their feelings hurt they are running to the Admin. You can't coach these kids because the parents get in the way! Springboro is a no win situation!
I have heard that for the last several years. When I used to be a little more in tune to the bigger schools in this area, Springboro appeared to me to be the toughest one to coach at from a standpoint of parental interference.

I'm not sure how feasible it is for someone to go in there and actually lay a solid foundation for a program, because inevitably that would involve stepping on some toes and hurting some feelings.

I have heard that for the last several years. When I used to be a little more in tune to the bigger schools in this area, Springboro appeared to me to be the toughest one to coach at from a standpoint of parental interference.

I'm not sure how feasible it is for someone to go in there and actually lay a solid foundation for a program, because inevitably that would involve stepping on some toes and hurting some feelings.
We were just talking about a similar subject my barbershop yesterday. In the suburbs, you have to deal with parents and in the city, you have to put up with a feckless administration. I would not be shocked if more prep academies pop up and more good coaches and players jump ship from school ball. Who wants to deal with those problems if you can avoid them?

They are chicken ?. Most administrators/board members give 2 hoots about sports. The ones who do , think they’re the smartest people in the room. Unbelievable !

They are chicken ?. Most administrators/board members give 2 hoots about sports. The ones who do , think they’re the smartest people in the room. Unbelievable !

Welcome to the last 10 years of coaching , or more. Goes on at many places. Political, weak schools systems are brutalizing HS and even college sports.

Many guys jump from school to school for various reasons. Trying to hit the jackpot or finding a school with some stability.

What was wrong with the previous coach? I dont follow the Dayton sceen as much.
Just about everything seemed to go wrong while this last guy (former LaSalle assistant, I believe) was there.

They've been extremely young the last two years. From the outside it looks like he ran off a bunch of older kids and tried to start from scratch. I'm pretty sure he canned all of his assistants between year 1 and year 2. Things seemed to reach a boiling point pretty quickly this year.

I think there were some posts in a prior thread with rumors on how this ended.

Many guys jump from school to school for various reasons. Trying to hit the jackpot or finding a school with some stability.
Some will jump all over this thinking they've hit the jackpot. Higher SES district with a growing population, and already one of the 20-25 largest high schools in the state. 4th largest school in Dayton.

Bad job.....for the reasons stated above and your best player's dad (UD asst) could get a new coaching job at any minute and he is gone. But the parent problem at Springboro is the same everywhere. Winning covers most of that, but as soon as you lose it is all the coaches fault and any other flaws are magnified. Some of that may be on the coach, but most parents no longer tell their kids to put the work in to get better.

Springboro, entitled mentality community, I've said for years the best level to coach is the college/university level by far.
You choose your own players, don't have to worry about parents, you have complete control. If there's any behavior, playing time, selfishness, or parental issues, you can take their free money away and send them away from your program. Only difference is, coaching is your livelihood, you have to win. Springboro will never win, like most suburban schools they have the top notch facilities and players but they have no one in administration with the guts to take a stand against the norm or think out the box. Winning in athletics is not important to places like Springboro.

Yes this is a tough place to coach but with the right fit has a lot of potential. Not just with the current talent in freshman and sophomore classes but to consistently compete. The facilities are first class and tons of athletes walking the halls. Other schools with similar cultures make it work so the right fit can make Springboro a winner.

Just about everything seemed to go wrong while this last guy (former LaSalle assistant, I believe) was there.

They've been extremely young the last two years. From the outside it looks like he ran off a bunch of older kids and tried to start from scratch. I'm pretty sure he canned all of his assistants between year 1 and year 2. Things seemed to reach a boiling point pretty quickly this year.

I think there were some posts in a prior thread with rumors on how this ended.
Was it Coach Kostoff? If so did he have any Varsity Head Coaching experience?

Was it Coach Kostoff? If so did he have any Varsity Head Coaching experience?
I don't think he'd ever been a head coach before, which is a big mistake IMO with this job. They need to hire somebody who's an established head coach with a track record of building and maintaining a program.

I wonder how quick they will hire? Especially with summer ball and camps. Also curious how many area jobs will open up in the area?

How could one of the most affluent school districts have such an issue? It is not like parents don’t support the kids. Might be a cancer in the school building metastasizing in the Athletic Director’s office.
They support Their kid. Like everywhere else.

Springboro, entitled mentality community, I've said for years the best level to coach is the college/university level by far.
You choose your own players, don't have to worry about parents, you have complete control. If there's any behavior, playing time, selfishness, or parental issues, you can take their free money away and send them away from your program. Only difference is, coaching is your livelihood, you have to win. Springboro will never win, like most suburban schools they have the top notch facilities and players but they have no one in administration with the guts to take a stand against the norm or think out the box. Winning in athletics is not important to places like Springboro.
Most of these folks live in HOA neighborhoods. That should be a message to anyone applying.

I don't think he'd ever been a head coach before, which is a big mistake IMO with this job. They need to hire somebody who's an established head coach with a track record of building and maintaining a program.
I agree. Hiring a Head Coach without previous experience along with some over the top parents usually never turns out very good. How long was he the Springboro Head Coach?

Springboro should be one of the better jobs in Dayton. Should be up there with Centerville, Wayne, and Fairmont. Should have a chance to be playing in the district finals every year.

Springboro should be one of the better jobs in Dayton. Should be up there with Centerville, Wayne, and Fairmont. Should have a chance to be playing in the district finals every year.
I would agree with this. They should be playing in a sectional final/district semifinal to get there just about every year.

If they are outside of the top-6 (should be Springboro, Centerville, Wayne, Fairmont, Springfield, and Beavercreek in most years) in this area for years at a time, they are royally screwing up and something is very off culturally.

I would agree with this. They should be playing in a sectional final/district semifinal to get there just about every year.

If they are outside of the top-6 (should be Springboro, Centerville, Wayne, Fairmont, Springfield, and Beavercreek in most years) in this area for years at a time, they are royally screwing up and something is very off culturally.
“And they say that a hero can save us” ? ?