Spring league Alliance of American Football to launch in 2019 on CBS

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The XFL, the controversial football league founded by Vince McMahon in 1999 that lasted just one season, is set to return in 2020. But it won't be the only new professional football league -- or even the first to begin play.

Charlie Ebersol -- the son of NBC executive Dick Ebersol, McMahon's partner during the XFL's first stint -- announced in a press release that the Alliance of American Football will debut on Feb. 9, 2019 on CBS.

The younger Ebersol, who directed ESPN's "30 for 30" documentary on the XFL, brought in former NFL general manager Bill Polian to help oversee the league. Former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu will oversee the player side and former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay will oversee the team side. Advisors include former players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, and Dick Ebersol.

Read more:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...f-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

But but but...I thought football was dying :shrug:

It is. It will be a slow death, first felt hardest at the lower levels.

If you haven't noticed, the demographics of the nation are changing. Women outnumber men, and will eventually have the seats of power. They already buy into the brain injury factor. Their kids won't be playing football. Immigrants are coming in with no affinity for American football. Their kids won't be playing football. Times change.

I think there will always be plenty of football players. The "risks" really come at the late high school/ college levels. Anyone who doesn't let their kid play pee wee football is just looking for an excuse. I would say football is the safest at younger ages because the collision speed is so much reduced.
How long before soccer players wear helmets??

I think there will always be plenty of football players. The "risks" really come at the late high school/ college levels. Anyone who doesn't let their kid play pee wee football is just looking for an excuse. I would say football is the safest at younger ages because the collision speed is so much reduced.
How long before soccer players wear helmets??

Please tell us some of what you know about the developing human brain and the effects of traumas on it.

It is. It will be a slow death, first felt hardest at the lower levels.

If you haven't noticed, the demographics of the nation are changing. Women outnumber men, and will eventually have the seats of power. They already buy into the brain injury factor. Their kids won't be playing football. Immigrants are coming in with no affinity for American football. Their kids won't be playing football. Times change.

That’s melodramatic. MMA is the most violent sport around and it’s popularity is sky rocketing.

The biggest mistake Football made was downplaying concussions. Now that we’re more educated on the severity, they can be treated properly. If football got in front of this issue 20-30 yrs ago, this is a non story.

That’s melodramatic. MMA is the most violent sport around and it’s popularity is sky rocketing.

The biggest mistake Football made was downplaying concussions. Now that we’re more educated on the severity, they can be treated properly. If football got in front of this issue 20-30 yrs ago, this is a non story.

Yeah, but participation in mma was extremely small. What a moronic comparison. :laugh:

I wouldn't say MMA's popularity is sky rocketing anymore either. The UFC had massive growth in the late 00's, but has kind of stalled recently.

Is it any wonder - look at attitudes just 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPeKydlhsrE