Spring Football Prediction // ThisWeek + Snodgrass

TheDuq

Just read this article and here is my bold prediction(s) for Fall Sports, after reading about "Second Wave", "some sports could not play, and some will" and "everything is on the table"

Soccer, Volleyball, XC, and Field Hockey cancelled indefinitely;
Soccer and Volleyball can't be moved to Spring, their club seasons can't afford virtually three seasons cancelled (Spring, Fall, Spring 21) or messed with. It also presents soccer and volleyball plenty of recruiting opportunities, Field Hockey I can't speak for, and XC will see plenty of distance with Track or could potentially have a few meets in May as track and XC are different training styles.

Tennis and Golf strictly played in the Spring
This won't affect anyone, period.

Football is delayed until Winter\Spring:
HOW:

Conditioning will start in February, games begin in March with a 7 game season (this would allow a slate of all conference games and for some OOC games), a 4 week 16-team playoff in all classifications wrapping up in mid-May.

Yes it would conflict with maybe track, but they could be done together. Most programs would be finished by the beginning of May allowing a 5-6 week track season (starting in late April), with all meets on Saturdays, this would not interfere with football on Fridays.

I am also convinced a plan like this is being discussed and the majority of states (75%) will do the same thing. It would replace 7v7 in many states...there really shouldn't be much fatigue, and of course, some players may sit out to protect their interests.

WHY:
OHSAA is going to delay football with the excuse that everyone will need...on the outside, these kids don't have other recruitment opportunities, there is no club football, in reality, the OHSAA and Athletic Departments of schools need the money. They by no means will cancel football over the summer, it will all be tentative, and a plan like this I truly believe is what we are going to see.

Perhaps. But both boys and girls tennis can’t be in the spring as there are not enough courts. VB could easily play in the spring but you would run into number ma issues. Some will play club rather than team and others will play other sports. You can just put everything in the spring as smaller schools won’t have enough players.

Perhaps. But both boys and girls tennis can’t be in the spring as there are not enough courts. VB could easily play in the spring but you would run into number ma issues. Some will play club rather than team and others will play other sports. You can just put everything in the spring as smaller schools won’t have enough players.

Boys and Girls Tennis can sort it out. VB is done. I'd say of all sports, being indoors, the least likely.

I have a hard time HS athletes play football feb-mid May; and then take 2 months off and start football again. That’s a big ask, football is def the sport you need the most time to recover. Also if you’re a good Sr, and you’ve signed your letter do you risk injury, sort of like college guys with bowls. I’m not saying I condone that just asking and seeing what everyone else’s thoughts are? A kid gets a tough injury in October he’s ready by college season in August, if it happens in April, he’s missing his frosh yr. And I’m not trying to be devils advocate I hope they play in the fall but if not I’ll be happy with spring, just a few concerns I see...

I have a hard time HS athletes play football feb-mid May; and then take 2 months off and start football again. That’s a big ask, football is def the sport you need the most time to recover. Also if you’re a good Sr, and you’ve signed your letter do you risk injury, sort of like college guys with bowls. I’m not saying I condone that just asking and seeing what everyone else’s thoughts are? A kid gets a tough injury in October he’s ready by college season in August, if it happens in April, he’s missing his frosh yr. And I’m not trying to be devils advocate I hope they play in the fall but if not I’ll be happy with spring, just a few concerns I see...
These points are 100% spot on. I've brought this up on other posts that have broached this subject. I just don't see how the spring football season would work. What you said about kids signing with colleges is accurate. My son currently has three offers, I know none of the schools would be keen on him playing in the spring once he signs in December or February. He would also be crushed not to play his senior year with his team. Also not playing a senior year could possibly cost kids college opportunities, especially if the states around us ie , PA, Indiana, Kentucky, etc are. You may see a lot of kids leave to try and play out of state if possible. Remember, it would be a decision that could affect the next 40 years of their life not just the next 6 months or so. It's something that has to be taken into consideration. I know the OHSAA is looking at whst would best suit them monitarily but I think spring football would be the absolute worst decision they could make.

These points are 100% spot on. I've brought this up on other posts that have broached this subject. I just don't see how the spring football season would work. What you said about kids signing with colleges is accurate. My son currently has three offers, I know none of the schools would be keen on him playing in the spring once he signs in December or February. He would also be crushed not to play his senior year with his team. Also not playing a senior year could possibly cost kids college opportunities, especially if the states around us ie , PA, Indiana, Kentucky, etc are. You may see a lot of kids leave to try and play out of state if possible. Remember, it would be a decision that could affect the next 40 years of their life not just the next 6 months or so. It's something that has to be taken into consideration. I know the OHSAA is looking at whst would best suit them monitarily but I think spring football would be the absolute worst decision they could make.
Finally, somebody gets it. Sports have become a mechanism to change people's lives, especially with the cost of college. Every little bit helps. When I went to OSU, it was 700.00 a quarter. Completely doable. Now it is $7000 to 8000 just for tuition.

People are over reacting on this high school football. Seriously what is so hard about playing the damn season from late August to early December.
The same reason why they couldn't play the baseball from April to May/early June when the pandemic was in its early stages. Because this contagion kills people, and it's killed plenty of people. What is so hard about everyone getting with the damn program on this?

Basically everyone realizes our country is woefully screwed with the coronavirus for the time being. Every significant public policy approach, based off the lead of public health professionals, aimed at keeping our society healthy amidst the pandemic isn't designed with "making sure high school sports are played" in mind. The commissioner of the OHSAA, who is grounded in this reality and knows to not make promises he can't keep, is doing all that he can to stay informed on this topic and keep everyone in the loop.

If we don't have football or if we have an adjusted season (this seems most likely right now, but it's still May), it wasn't for no good reason. Full stop.

The same reason why they couldn't play the baseball from April to May/early June when the pandemic was in its early stages. Because this contagion kills people, and it's killed plenty of people. What is so hard about everyone getting with the damn program on this?

Basically everyone realizes our country is woefully screwed with the coronavirus for the time being. Every significant public policy approach, based off the lead of public health professionals, aimed at keeping our society healthy amidst the pandemic isn't designed with "making sure high school sports are played" in mind. The commissioner of the OHSAA, who is grounded in this reality and knows to not make promises he can't keep, is doing all that he can to stay informed on this topic and keep everyone in the loop.

If we don't have football or if we have an adjusted season (this seems most likely right now, but it's still May), it wasn't for no good reason. Full stop.
Sorry, but I don't believe all the news, and media hype, on this damn thing. It has been exaggerated in my opinion. That is why I said they can play it as normal.

WHY:
OHSAA is going to delay football with the excuse that everyone will need...on the outside, these kids don't have other recruitment opportunities, there is no club football, in reality, the OHSAA and Athletic Departments of schools need the money. They by no means will cancel football over the summer, it will all be tentative, and a plan like this I truly believe is what we are going to see.
If there are no sports next school year they won't need any money.

Great to see everyone's takes about all of this, but again:

Ohio is one of the few, if the only powerhouse football states (CA, TX, FL, GA, LA) that does not participate in 7 v 7 football in Spring. All the usual football players play with the exception of 'graduates'. That being said, it would be very common for big school commits who are seniors to sit out the Spring season, which is what percentage, minimal? Even if it is the "B Squad" of many high school programs, communities will show up to watch. If NCAA announces some type of delay, this would be very good news for high school sports for the reasoning mentioned above.

Again, OHSAA as well as many of the state administrations nationwide can't afford to lose out on playoff money to operate. The gamble would be, "start in August, maybe shutdown in October, NO PLAYOFFS", which is extremely risky, or put this off as long as they can. The idea we'll be ready to have kids practicing in less than 6 weeks is not practical.

Anyone who thinks, "they'll just cancel football", is crazy. Time is on their side.

The majority of kids if a Spring season happens ( All non playoff teams and early playoff losers ) Would be done playing mid to late April AFTER having how much time off? ( 15 months on average ) then having over 3 months to recover for the returning players ( The start of the next season could proceed based on this ) isn’t a reason to just have no football at all .

Would your sons future college coach rather have your kid play no real football at all for 21-22 months ? That would be better ? How many Freshman actually start right away anyway ? Seriously , no football at having 22 months off from playing a real full contact football game is better than having say two and a half months before you need to report fir D-1 football ? Smaller colleges offer later start dates in many cases . Are you forgetting that most players aren’t making the playoffs or going out earlier ? Yes a lot of great players would advance in a playoff situation for a couple more weeks , but not playing at all for a year and three quarters or more Is better ?

If there is no school this fall they will have to afford it.

There will be some type of school, if it's blended or off-campus, then look for them to tentatively date football in the Spring, it will give them time to sort it out and see if it is even on the table.

A lot of focus needs to be on the next month on how NCAA plans on doing this. It is even more, much more complicated. Even if they are allowed to play, I can't imagine these schools with home and home deals being okay with losing out on revenue this year (i.e. Ohio State at Oregon).

I can't picture football in the Spring. Plus flu season is more active in late Winter and early Spring, than it is in late Summer or Fall.

Last edited:
There will be some type of school, if it's blended or off-campus, then look for them to tentatively date football in the Spring, it will give them time to sort it out and see if it is even on the table.
There will be football in the fall when schools are fully open. Maybe this year, maybe not this year.

There will be no fall sports seasons in the spring.

Just my educated & experienced opinion.

Don't drive on the interstate it might kill you. I am 60 years old I have to go to work or be fired. Lets go by facts instead of speculation, fact median age for death from C - 19 is 80 years old ( in Ohio ), I don't see too many 80 year old's in the school system.

In my educated and experienced opinion, football and the economic benefits it has directs how many if not all other extra-curriculars function in the United States, as a result, an exception can be made during a millennial pandemic that has caused our economy to look arguably the worst it ever has had since its inception.

Great to see everyone's takes about all of this, but again:

Ohio is one of the few, if the only powerhouse football states (CA, TX, FL, GA, LA) that does not participate in 7 v 7 football in Spring. All the usual football players play with the exception of 'graduates'. That being said, it would be very common for big school commits who are seniors to sit out the Spring season, which is what percentage, minimal? Even if it is the "B Squad" of many high school programs, communities will show up to watch. If NCAA announces some type of delay, this would be very good news for high school sports for the reasoning mentioned above.

Again, OHSAA as well as many of the state administrations nationwide can't afford to lose out on playoff money to operate. The gamble would be, "start in August, maybe shutdown in October, NO PLAYOFFS", which is extremely risky, or put this off as long as they can. The idea we'll be ready to have kids practicing in less than 6 weeks is not practical.

Anyone who thinks, "they'll just cancel football", is crazy. Time is on their side.

7 vs. 7 leagues are touch/flag football with minimal to no contact. A full 14-20 weeks (start of camp to end of season/state championships) of full contact football and then to turn around and do it again is not safe. I have read your constant post touting safety against Covid on this site for weeks, but you don't seem to grasp the dangers of two full seasons with limited recovery time (3 maybe 4 months) between those seasons. There is a reason why OHSAA has a 4 week no contact period at the end of the season and most schools don't really ramp up their off season programs until January. If Snodgrass and the OHSAA make the decision to play football in the spring, it will be to the detriment of the young people he claims to care so much about for financial gain.

Yes, baseball is horrible in Ohio and makes even less money than most other sports...baseball won't be a concern, like 9 good teams in the whole state.
3 of them located in the MAC. Football is not happening in the spring that is a pipe dream or nightmare depending on your perspective. Get over it.

Yes, baseball is horrible in Ohio and makes even less money than most other sports...baseball won't be a concern, like 9 good teams in the whole state.
So in other words the children who play baseball are worth less than or inferior to those that play football. Not a baseball fan but more than likely most football players will have those baseball players as their BOSSES years later.

In my educated and experienced opinion, football and the economic benefits it has directs how many if not all other extra-curriculars function in the United States, as a result, an exception can be made during a millennial pandemic
The Spanish flu was 100 years ago, not 1000 years ago.

.. that has caused our economy to look arguably the worst it ever has had since its inception.
Not even close.

Last edited:
7 vs. 7 leagues are touch/flag football with minimal to no contact. A full 14-20 weeks (start of camp to end of season/state championships) of full contact football and then to turn around and do it again is not safe. I have read your constant post touting safety against Covid on this site for weeks, but you don't seem to grasp the dangers of two full seasons with limited recovery time (3 maybe 4 months) between those seasons. There is a reason why OHSAA has a 4 week no contact period at the end of the season and most schools don't really ramp up their off season programs until January. If Snodgrass and the OHSAA make the decision to play football in the spring, it will be to the detriment of the young people he claims to care so much about for financial gain.

You couldn't be more incorrect, I'd say less than a week ago I was on "Team We Have Zero Chance of Playing This Fall"

The Spanish flu was 100 years ago, not 1000 years ago.

Not even close.

I forgot about all the other pandemics that hit North America since 1000 AD, sorry.

Not even close? Other than the Civil War (this is worse than that as a national whole), and currently on par with the beginning stages of the Great Depression, please enlighten me.

3 of them located in the MAC. Football is not happening in the spring that is a pipe dream or nightmare depending on your perspective. Get over it.

MAC? Come on don't even get me started on the if Maria Stein Marion Local actually scheduled a good team in football for once discussion, not today.

I saw a video interview with Snodgrass saying switching sports from fall to spring or swapping spring and fall is not being considered a real option.