Southwestern Buckeye League 2019 season thread

thoughts on Madison’s thrashing of reading 49-7?
Reading isn’t much this season, but after getting beat down by Franklin in week 1, always good to have a convincing win to gain confidence back. I expect the Mowhawks to be fired up when my Spartans come into town next Friday.

This biggest thing I was impressed with from VV

1. the pass obviously wasn’t there last night, but instead of panicking VV players (and coaches) adjusted so well and completely abandoned the spread offense and went to the triple O. that type of diversity will be a real nice bullet in the chamber to keep later in the season

2. these boys play together. They’re in it in every play and constantly are pumping up the crowd to help make Barker even tougher on the opponent.

3. Cradlebaugh had a really bad night throwing, probably his worst in his 2 years of starting, but instead of getting down and letting it snowball. He shook it off and ran the ball as hard as I’ve seen a QB run it in a long time. He needs to be smarter about sliding in some situations but I love the intensity

4. VV has a lot of depth but still some injury concerns. Going to be nice to get the injured boys back soon

The SWBL thread and pick’em threads are sparce this year.
1 or 2 Valley View fans? No Carlisle or Waynesville fans. No Eaton, Brookville, Franklin fans. Madison and Milton each have a couple. Is Yappi dying in the SWBL?

1 or 2 Valley View fans? No Carlisle or Waynesville fans. No Eaton, Brookville, Franklin fans. Madison and Milton each have a couple. Is Yappi dying in the SWBL?
I think once a posters kid graduates a lot of the posters are fathers or relatives and they just lose interest.

It's always flattering to see someone pick my favorite team but, I never cared to make predictions...let the scoreboard speak, as they say. Enjoy going to any thread that may mention the school. Wish they would do better at updating the league site with latest game stats though ( not sure who is responsible but, thought in this day and age it wasn't that hard and some schools have it updated that night in other leagues...I like to look at opponents, too ).

WEEK 2 IN THE SWBL

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for ...

Skip Weaver's story and Ron Alvey's photo gallery from the Franklin-Edgewood game

Rick Cassano's story and Karen Redemeier's photo gallery from the Monroe-Ross game

Details from the Madison-Reading, Carlisle-Springfield Kenton Ridge and Waynesville-Jamestown Greeneview games

This biggest thing I was impressed with from VV

1. the pass obviously wasn’t there last night, but instead of panicking VV players (and coaches) adjusted so well and completely abandoned the spread offense and went to the triple O. that type of diversity will be a real nice bullet in the chamber to keep later in the season

2. these boys play together. They’re in it in every play and constantly are pumping up the crowd to help make Barker even tougher on the opponent.

3. Cradlebaugh had a really bad night throwing, probably his worst in his 2 years of starting, but instead of getting down and letting it snowball. He shook it off and ran the ball as hard as I’ve seen a QB run it in a long time. He needs to be smarter about sliding in some situations but I love the intensity

4. VV has a lot of depth but still some injury concerns. Going to be nice to get the injured boys back soon
I agree with your synopsis.

Fort Recovery needed to make VV abandon the run by scoring early and often. The Indians had several opportunities to put the Spartans in a big hole but couldn't quite finish the drives. Credit VV with stepping up defensively when they needed to.

The small school side doesn't offer a lot of intrigue. The league title comes down to Madison vs. Milton with Waynesville closing the gap but still 3rd IMO. I don't know much about Northridge but Carlisle/Dixie/Preble are all about the same, the winner of those games will be whoever is healthiest. Dixie could end up anywhere from 2-8 to 5-5, Preble about the same and Carlisle anywhere from 0-10 to 4-6.

The small school side doesn't offer a lot of intrigue. The league title comes down to Madison vs. Milton with Waynesville closing the gap but still 3rd IMO. I don't know much about Northridge but Carlisle/Dixie/Preble are all about the same, the winner of those games will be whoever is healthiest. Dixie could end up anywhere from 2-8 to 5-5, Preble about the same and Carlisle anywhere from 0-10 to 4-6.
After looking at Dixie's schedule. I believe they will go 2-8. The only remaining game they have a shot at winning is Carlisle. I would not make much out of the fact that they beat TVS and Tri Village. Both of those teams are very bad. Preble Shawnee will beat Dixie by 40. I say that with having seen both of those teams play this year.

Northridge is a good team this year. Waynesville will be very tough. The Big school side comes down to Bellbrook, Franklin and Valley View. This is the reason MU is leaving the SWBL. The Buckeye division doesn’t offer much. Attendance is weak and travel is horrific. When we were in the SW division it was MUCH better. The decision to move Milton to the Buckeye was made by a former AD. It was a bad decision in my mind.
If I had to rank SWBL schools right now it would be:
1. Franklin
2. Bellbrook
3. Valley View
4. Milton-Union
5. Madison
6. Brookville
7. Waynesville
8. Northridge
9. Preble Shawnee
10. Eaton
11. Monroe
12. Oakwood
13. Carlisle
14. Dixie

Northridge is a good team this year. Waynesville will be very tough. The Big school side comes down to Bellbrook, Franklin and Valley View. This is the reason MU is leaving the SWBL. The Buckeye division doesn’t offer much. Attendance is weak and travel is horrific. When we were in the SW division it was MUCH better. The decision to move Milton to the Buckeye was made by a former AD. It was a bad decision in my mind.

I will say, attendance for the rest of the league might be OK as long as schools are staying south of town. The league doesn't travel well to West Milton. Being the farthest school north hurts.

going from the SW to the Buckeye was more for all sports than football. probably the right decision for basketball, baseball, soccer, etc...

Moving to a 5 Miami County school league was a no-brainer.

Agreed.
When Bill moved is to the SWBL it was a needed move due to Versailles and SCC leaving the SRC. I don’t think that was a good move now that I look back on it. But I don’t think there were any other options and Bill made the best decision he had in front of him.
The addition of Franklin and Monroe was the turning point for Milton in the SWBL. Maybe the CBC or CCC would’ve been a better move back then but the CCC didn’t want us. CBC wasn’t expanding. SWBL wanted us.
I love the idea of the TRC. It’s a great opportunity. The SRC was a great move too. Travel was minimal in the SRC and the teams were very similar except the parochial schools. Graham was a haul.

I would love to see Brookville playing Madison and MU, would be great games. I'm curious to see how Madison competes with VV.
It would make a lot of sense for those teams to play each other. My gut feeling is that VV beats up Madison pretty good this week. I could be way off but I believe VV just beat a Fort Recovery team that is substantially better than Madison. Sure, they won at home, but I think they are going to be too much for Madison regardless of where they play.

I think VV is pretty good so it wouldn't surprise me to see them beat Madison by 21+. I think the games between VV, Franklin and Bellbrook are going to be great games. On the small school side I think Madison and Milton Union will be a great game but I don't see anyone else being within 10 points of those 2.

MU travels to Madison in two weeks. It’s a hard 3 week stand for the Dogs.
2-0 Northwestern, 2-0 Northridge, and 1-1 Madison.
mom still not dismissing Waynesville. They made huge strides last year.

Last edited:
Forums like this are dying as a whole as other media types take over. I used to read lots of forums, this is the last one I look at. Too bad, as I dont think there is a direct replacement.

If I had to rank SWBL schools right now it would be:
1. Franklin
2. Bellbrook
3. Valley View
4. Milton-Union
5. Madison
6. Brookville
7. Waynesville
8. Northridge
9. Preble Shawnee
10. Eaton
11. Monroe
12. Oakwood
13. Carlisle
14. Dixie

For the most part, I agree with this list, especially if we're talking currently heading into Week 3. I'm still a little undecided on the Top 3 as VV may need to be higher. The win over Fort Recovery is solid. I believe Brookville, and even Oakwood, have room to move up as the season goes on. The greatest confusion I have is where the Buckeye Division teams end up. It's great for the league that teams like Northridge have seen OOC success, it helps on computer points. But at the same time, I sort of doubt how strong the Bears really are. For me, the jury is out on how improved Waynesville is and how down Madison is.

For the most part, I agree with this list, especially if we're talking currently heading into Week 3. I'm still a little undecided on the Top 3 as VV may need to be higher. The win over Fort Recovery is solid. I believe Brookville, and even Oakwood, have room to move up as the season goes on. The greatest confusion I have is where the Buckeye Division teams end up. It's great for the league that teams like Northridge have seen OOC success, it helps on computer points. But at the same time, I sort of doubt how strong the Bears really are. For me, the jury is out on how improved Waynesville is and how down Madison is.
I think everyone is overrating Madison. They lost way too many players from last year.They MAY end up 5-5. I see losses to Valley View, MU,Northridge and Waynesville

I think Milton could hang with anyone in the SW this year. Think 2007 MU. That team was very good. This one has the ability to be that good.
We face Valley View in a few weeks so we will see. Madison is still a good team. I’m just wondering where the loss of experienced linemen leaves that program. They are champs until beaten. Franklin and Bellbrook are the big bullies in the SW. VV will strug

Comparing MU to 2007 might be premature. Could happen, but let's wait to see how they fare against some of the tougher teams. I do agree I think they could "hang with" anyone, which to me means they might lose but wouldn't get blown off the field.
Madison is a question mark. They have to take a step back after losing last years class, but they were 5 steps ahead of everyone else in the Buckeye! So how many steps is the $10,000 question!

Agreed on Madison. I see glimpses of that 2007 and even 2012 team here. Lovin is a great athlete and his supporting cast is athletic. Agreed comparisons are early. Way early.
Northwestern, Northridge and Madison in consecutive weeks is a tough gig.