Sources: Power 5 talking about no fall football

As others have said, this has more to do with money and litigation than any concern for player safety or fan safety.

The virus probably isn't in the top 10 causes of death for college age people - it's obviously not a significant threat to the players. And fans, of course, can choose to stay away from the stadium.

To some degree, the panic crowd has caused us to lose our senses.

What's next? Due to concerns about air travel safety (because we all know airplanes occasionally crash and claim lives), teams will be forbidden from flying, so future Oregon-OSU matchups will require 4 days of travel by bus each way - 8 days round trip. This is insane!
Do college players coach themselves? Transport themselves? Support themselves? Should Nick Saban et al just stay home and let the young coaches coach since he's in the danger demographic? Should Urban Meyer never return to coaching since he has comorbidities?

There are more people than JUST the athletes to take into account.

If high school does have a season, gives coaches a chance to watch high school talent more if there is no college season

Does anyone see a scenario in which Big Ten football is cancelled and HS football is not? Legitimate question not being an a&$

Does anyone see a scenario in which Big Ten football is cancelled and HS football is not? Legitimate question not being an a&$

Ive thought the same thing. Just posted in another thread, if the state bans fans there is NO way you can have HS football. The cost alone would bankrupt half the football departments in Ohio. That’s not even mentioning the fact there is a 0% chance of fans for indoors events this Winter so who knows how basketball will be afforded

I agree with it but many of us has called this out for months. HS likely gets the ax Tuesday.
Ok I disagree and I had an appifanny, College and High school are not similar as you may think and shouldn't be treated as such, and here is why,
1. Even if Ohio rescinds the testing mandate to allow high schools to play, The NCAA won't it's a mandatory guideline, if it was just football it would be more doable for Colleges
2. Universities are financially liable if an athlete gets COVID, I don't think High school will be liable, correct me if i'm wrong
3. High school is at a smaller scale than college, most of the time you don't leave your State, Geographic Area, or even your County
4. Kids come from the same geographic area unlike colleges where you could have kids coming in from COVID hotspots
5. Utah High School Football is set to kickoff Thursday with no prospect of stopping, because honestly it would be a little late for that, proving that High school doesn't have to follow college
6. Colleges want to have a chance at full revenue in the spring which is more doable for them since all their athletes are single sport
7. High school kids go to school in one building which makes it easier for screening, unlike colleges which leads to higher chance of exposure in my opinion
8. High school policies are more lenient than colleges where many won't let students leave campus without penalty
9. High school athletes will not stay multiple days if they travel its get there, play the game, get out
10. D1 colleges I believe have had more issues with Covid than High schools again correct me if i'm wrong
11. Colleges don't really have a flexible plan similar to the OHSAA, they are kind of on a crunch if games have to be missed. Unlike High school where say you get eliminated from playoffs you can reschedule that game you missed.
12. If the Governor himself recommended the plan to shorten the season then I would think he will follow through, I mean according to the Dayton Daily news Article and Scott kauffman who is on the Board of Directors it stated that the Governor's office supported the change and the expectation is that the governor will approve contact sports, now with colleges D1 could play under the current guidelines but it all ties back to some of the previous points.
13. MAC schools were in debt and with the cancellations of games with the Power 5 they would sink further they kind of had their hands tied and some Power 5 are dealing with the same thing, now the expanded playoffs helps the OHSAA your view on the ethics of it can be up to you.
14. Even with Colleges the athletes are now taking to twitter similar to the MLB's #WhenandWhere with #WeWantToPlay and Trevor Lawrence is leading the charge now if they were intelligent they would listen to the players, similar to how pro leagues listen to their players and lead by the player that needs a season the least, this is pretty much if Patrick Mahomes started this in order for the NFL to listen, Mike Trout to the MLB and Lebron to the NBA
15. The #IWantASeason Campaign was made to help athletes ensure they have a season and so far I believe Athletes are listening
16. The University of Wisconsin concluded that two thirds of athletes with canceled seasons experience depression and anxiety something that Jon Husted retweeted
17. this ties back to 1 but The NCAA will always mandate testing for all sports, where Ohio could rescind it which look back at 13 for that
18. High Schools will not have to spend as much money as colleges for precautions, because say high school does play we wont have to test colleges will. Colleges want to put their athletic budgets into long term projects I.E. Stadium renovations. Not a seasons worth of testing
19. The State of Ohio has allowed 6/10 sports to play

Last edited:
If SEC, ACC, and Big 12 go ahead and play this fall and BIG does not it will kill OSU's recruiting for next year, players will be decommitting starting next week.

Loving reading all these players from Ohio state and all over the nation starting the #WeWantToPlay.

The coaches have started doing the same. So have player parents. A movement from some of the highest profile coaches and players in the nation. Good to see. Hopefully the suits figure out that the players feel safer playing than going home.

unless those rumors of OSU joining the big 12 are true
Luv to see it or even better ACC or SEC, I am tired of these University Elitist.
Ain't happening. It will be all or nothing. No way the big ten canxels and the other play.
Not so sure about that, these other conferences would have Saturday all to themselves. The ACC will do whatever the SEC does. Ratings for ESPN would be through the roof.

Blame Donald Trump for worst pandemic response ever.Shut down Country feb 20 it be over.
The type of shutdown we put into effect back in Mar/Apr only delays the inevitable - and does that only decently.

The virus cannot be stopped - perhaps we actually should have been purposefully exposing healthy people all along. Now that might stop the spread - if you can somehow protect the vulnerable in the process.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that, these other conferences would have Saturday all to themselves. The ACC will do whatever the SEC does. Ratings for ESPN would be through the roof.
Yes - the SEC might love if the Big Ten cancels bc they would reap all the lucrative benefits of being essentially the only game in town.

And the SEC (and other conferences that play) would earn recruiting advantages. Who wants to commit to a program that isn't playing this year and might not play in 2021 either?

Reports were all power 5 conferences were on the emergency meeting calls. Acc had no problem bowing out of bball in fact they led the way if I recall.

This week will make or break football for the fall. I am encouraged that live team sports are happening - soccer, baseball, and basketball.

Could a university go rebel and simply withdraw from its conference and go it alone if the conference nixes fall sports?

Highly unlikely I know - how would you come up with a schedule? - but is it possible?

Could a university go rebel and simply withdraw from its conference and go it alone if the conference nixes fall sports?

Highly unlikely I know - how would you come up with a schedule? - but is it possible?

Yes, but it is highly unlikely that Ohio State would, Big Ten is a big deal academically speaking, also...TV Revenue wise. Ohio State is not going anywhere.

Some of the less relevant D1 schools...would be a reach. Could go independent and keep their conference for many other sports like UCONN, but it's very late in the game.

Don't know how. However if BIG and PAC cancel, and the other 3 P5 conferences play, their are going to be some pissed off people at OSU, esp. the H.C.