Some Fall and Spring Sports Switching Seasons?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
We've already talked about football being moved to the Spring. Looks like some others picked up on that idea and talking about a few other sports making the change.

Posted on Twitter (assuming "Tear" means "Year"):

View attachment 6842

I posted this earlier in the week and alot of people laughed at me. It won't be as funny when NCAA does it first and OHSAA follows suit. It will be a two year window with the third year being a little different football schedule being moved back to the fall to get back to normal Football. This is real people! It's either this or no football this year. Biggest hold up right now is what if we can't play in the fall? Spring sports would be done for two years or moved to summer for two years.

You know what, on 7 March someone told me what was about to happen I would call them a liar. I never thought in my lifetime, outside of a full fledged war on our soil, that I would see this sort of government control and lock down. This is truly FUBAR.

Even 2 weeks ago I would have said this idea is bunk.

Today? I would believe anything is possible.

Does anyone truly think that 8 months of football in a 9-10 month span is a good idea?

Any administrator that would endorse this, from the OHSAA down to a middle school admin, should lose their job.

Last edited:
Does anyone truly think that 8 months of football in a 9-10 month span is a good idea?

Any administrator that endorses this from the OHSAA down to a middle school should lose their job.
No, I dont believe it is a good idea whatsoever.

I still believe the season will progress as normal this fall, maybe with a few alternations like less scrimmages.

there's no way this is real. It would make sense if the fall doesn't happen at all, with spring then taking place in fall of 2021 to make up for it, but if sports can be played at all this fall, football will be one of them.

I will keep saying this. When this virus issue is all "over" we will go back to normal. But it will be a slightly different normal. On the surface it will seem the same, but a careful look will show you the many things that are slightly off from the way they were in the past. Some things we can see coming, some things we can possibly see but wouldn't make sense to us now, and then things we aren't even thinking of now will be the every day norm then. The entire world as we knew it is going to be different going forward, like it or not. It won't be completely alien to what we've lived up to now, but it will have quite a bit of difference to it.

As I said on the other thread, the image you posted is a screen shot of a Facebook post with typos and missing several sports... I guess no matter who SHARED it, who POSTED it to Facebook is more important. Not convinced this is credible.

I have said for the last several years with the weather in OH ever changing, swapping Football and Baseball season would be a great idea.

However if they are considering just moving a sport to the fall and not swapping with another sport, you are forcing a student athletes hand to pick one over the other.

Interesting that he is paying attention to this type of stuff. I'm wondering if this is one of those trial balloons to see what people would be accepting of. I know that moving the sports seasons has been brought up before but only related to weather. Football to Spring would only be because of the ongoing pandemic and would return to normal ASAP.

Interesting that he is paying attention to this type of stuff. I'm wondering if this is one of those trial balloons to see what people would be accepting of. I know that moving the sports seasons has been brought up before but only related to weather. Football to Spring would only be because of the ongoing pandemic and would return to normal ASAP.
I doubt he is paying attention to it. I highly expect that someone (or multiple people) reached out to him with questions/concerns.

Jerry is very active and responsive on twitter. I love that he is out in front and in the know of things being talked about throughout the state.
I think he also does a great job of promoting HS sports as a whole.
I would love for baseball to be moved to the Fall but I also know it probably won't happen.

Jerry is very active and responsive on twitter. I love that he is out in front and in the know of things being talked about throughout the state.
I think he also does a great job of promoting HS sports as a whole.
100% agree. Many people like to complain about these tough decisions being made, but anyone who has ever met Jerry has a hard time finding anything negative about him. His motives are completely genuine, and he cares about the kids, first and foremost. When the previous Executive Director had to step back for a little bit, my wife and I, who have met and spoken with Jerry several times, were hoping he was next in line and ecstatic when he got the position.

I posted this earlier in the week and alot of people laughed at me. It won't be as funny when NCAA does it first and OHSAA follows suit. It will be a two year window with the third year being a little different football schedule being moved back to the fall to get back to normal Football. This is real people! It's either this or no football this year. Biggest hold up right now is what if we can't play in the fall? Spring sports would be done for two years or moved to summer for two years.
I'll believe it when I see it. I think you'd have to see the NFL move from the fall first. Honestly, I think the one thing you may see is the elimination of spring sports entirely at the high school level except for track and field. Sadly, baseball and softball are dying in the spring because it's pushed into 6 weeks. Baseball and softball can become a non-OHSAA summer sport and the other sports/ tennis/ golf/ lacrosse would move to the fall. You could honestly move fall sports back a few weeks (other than football) and just have two sports seasons in school. Basketball / wrestling/ swimming / bowling would start after the holidays.

Jerry is doing the best he can in tough situation. I really don't think he understands the importance of some of these seasons (like football for the future of the kids ) or the lack of importance some of the seasons has for the kids (like swimming) but he is not alone. Now that Spring season is canceled, his opportunity for influence for now is limited.

Jerry is doing the best he can in tough situation. I really don't think he understands the importance of some of these seasons (like football for the future of the kids ) or the lack of importance some of the seasons has for the kids (like swimming) but he is not alone. Now that Spring season is canceled, his opportunity for influence for now is limited.

You've made your point that you don't believe anything that Dr. Acton, Gov DeWine or Snodgrass say. This has nothing to do with a health crisis and is all about them taking control and ruining kids spring, summer and fall. I'm just glad they'll all collaborating on this conspiracy. Good thing we'll be able to inject sanitizer here soon so we can get rid of this.

You've made your point that you don't believe anything that Dr. Acton, Gov DeWine or Snodgrass say. This has nothing to do with a health crisis and is all about them taking control and ruining kids spring, summer and fall. I'm just glad they'll all collaborating on this conspiracy. Good thing we'll be able to inject sanitizer here soon so we can get rid of this.
As have you, and that is not what the President said but hey believe what you want and watch the financial because whatever happens to them will be real.

As have you, and that is not what the President said but hey believe what you want and watch the financial because whatever happens to them will be real.
He did say we should look into injecting disinfectants under the skin and that it could get into the lungs and destroy it. Then proceeded to ask the doctor if we could work on doing that. The same doctor mind you who had JUST very intelligently explained at length to the world the progress they have made with testing on the virus.

No he did not. There was talk about disinfectants in general and ultraviolet light. There was a treatment commonly used in the 50's where blood was treated with ultraviolet light to kill germs and the disinfectant he was talking about is hydrogen peroxide nebulized and that is also al treatment that has been used to treat rare viral infections. Granted, the conversation was confusing but it gets reported without context. I know Trump does not sound intelligent sometimes but he is trying to provide some hope with potential solutions because our financial situation is going to be really, really bad if we don't come back soon whether we should or not.

No he did not. There was talk about disinfectants in general and ultraviolet light. There was a treatment commonly used in the 50's where blood was treated with ultraviolet light to kill germs and the disinfectant he was talking about is hydrogen peroxide nebulized and that is also al treatment that has been used to treat rare viral infections. Granted, the conversation was confusing but it gets reported without context. I know Trump does not sound intelligent sometimes but he is trying to provide some hope with potential solutions because our financial situation is going to be really, really bad if we don't come back soon whether we should or not.
Bwuahahahahaha

I have never had any regard for DeWine. He's a gutless politician that likes to hide behind his folksy backround. Acton has proven to be just what she is, a bleeding heart political hack that is in wayyyyy over her head. That said, their incompetence throughout this matter is hardly a calculated effort to ruin a bunch of kids. They are saving their own backsides. (DeWine's modus operandi forever)

I would like to know however, why you would thinks that Jerry Snodgrass wakes up and says "what can I do to ruin kids' lives today"? Sounds like a personal axe to grind is taking place.

Last edited:
I have never had any regard for DeWine. He's a gutless politician that likes to hide behind his folksy backround. Acton has proven to be just what she is, a bleeding heart political hack that is in wayyyyy over her head. That said, their incompetence throughout this matter is hardly a calculated effort to ruin a bunch of kids. They are saving their own backsides. (DeWine's modus operandi forever)

I would like to know however, why you would thinks that Jerry Snodgrass wakes up and says "what can I do to ruin kids' lives today"? Sounds like a personal axe to grind is taking place.

Incompetence? Almost everyone in the country agrees that Dewine's actions are what every state should have done. The ones who didn't or waited are paying a heavy price. I have friends int he medical field in Florida. You want me to give you their numbers so you can talk to them about the mess they have because their idiot governor did nothing? You can compare their stories to my daughter's (a nurse here in Ohio) We have nowhere near the problems that most other states are having

Incompetence? Almost everyone in the country agrees that Dewine's actions are what every state should have done. The ones who didn't or waited are paying a heavy price. I have friends int he medical field in Florida. You want me to give you their numbers so you can talk to them about the mess they have because their idiot governor did nothing? You can compare their stories to my daughter's (a nurse here in Ohio) We have nowhere near the problems that most other states are having

Look, we can all trade numbers, stories, examples of how people were effective. (see hospital layoffs). we can debate til the cows come home whether or not "his" orders "slowed the spread" or "flattened the curve" (did we really cause the new daily cases to come in 9,500 a day LESS than what was guaranteed to happen even WITH the mitigation measures?)

That said, more than a month after his "no elective surgery" orders he realizes that the intent of his orders wasn't meant to delay critical diagnostic or corrective surgeries......

I'm sorry..... the fact that he or none of his staff didn't for one second sit back when the orders were written and say "hmmm, that might need to be revisited" is pure incompetence. Now, over a a month into this he' jsut now "hearing stories" (they aren't stories) about people missing out or waiting for critical procedures to be carried out.

He knows it and is in full CYA during his recent daily briefings.

Just my opinion ;)

Look, we can all trade numbers, stories, examples of how people were effective. (see hospital layoffs). we can debate til the cows come home whether or not "his" orders "slowed the spread" or "flattened the curve" (did we really cause the new daily cases to come in 9,500 a day LESS than what was guaranteed to happen even WITH the mitigation measures?)

That said, more than a month after his "no elective surgery" orders he realizes that the intent of his orders wasn't meant to delay critical diagnostic or corrective surgeries......

I'm sorry..... the fact that he or none of his staff didn't for one second sit back when the orders were written and say "hmmm, that might need to be revisited" is pure incompetence. Now, over a a month into this he' jsut now "hearing stories" (they aren't stories) about people missing out or waiting for critical procedures to be carried out.

He knows it and is in full CYA during his recent daily briefings.

Just my opinion ;)
Absolutely correct. We can debate till the cows come home whether Dewine's directives had any serious mitigation consequences or had mild mitigation consequences. He made his first decision on very incomplete information and unfortunately has continued to make his decision on very incomplete information. But I do know one number: 1,000,0000 unemployed. I know the unemployment fund was running out of money and I know that if we kept up his directives, then Ohio would have run out of money in our rainy day fund by the end of May beginning of June. I know major business's in Cincinnati are closing for good. I know shop's are not paying their rent and I know that Dewine now has to make decisions based on financial forecasts (much more reliable then our Covid forecast) and has hamstrung himself for any future unforeseen issues (like a very likely 2nd wave in the late fall/winter: you know when we are inside during the crummy Ohio weather). Three weeks would have been enough to slow the spread and button up the most vulnerable. No need to close the school's for good.

Are other states within our region opening the way BASESWIMPARENT wishes? Are some states bringing back youth and HS sports? Is MLB anywhere close to starting action? Someone listen....he's an expert

Absolutely correct. We can debate till the cows come home whether Dewine's directives had any serious mitigation consequences or had mild mitigation consequences. He made his first decision on very incomplete information and unfortunately has continued to make his decision on very incomplete information. But I do know one number: 1,000,0000 unemployed. I know the unemployment fund was running out of money and I know that if we kept up his directives, then Ohio would have run out of money in our rainy day fund by the end of May beginning of June. I know major business's in Cincinnati are closing for good. I know shop's are not paying their rent and I know that Dewine now has to make decisions based on financial forecasts (much more reliable then our Covid forecast) and has hamstrung himself for any future unforeseen issues (like a very likely 2nd wave in the late fall/winter: you know when we are inside during the crummy Ohio weather). Three weeks would have been enough to slow the spread and button up the most vulnerable. No need to close the school's for good.
This is not just an Ohio thing. The nation...wait...the world has responded the same way Ohio has.

I like how this is an Ohio baseball forum but instead we get national data about why we should open up Ohio sports. We are living in a pandemic and thanks to our current technology we can minimize the costs of lives. Every expert agrees (even Trump's) that the last thing to return to normalcy is the places where people congregate in masses indoors and outdoors.

Baseball should be in fall. Football in spring. Think weather wise. Idk if it will happen but if they make the switch keep it that way. Football in rain is ok. Baseball in sunny weather may not be recognizable

I wish the OHSAA would update us on what's being considered. I know they can't have a definite answer but give us a date where we know what direction we are headed with limited spectators, shortened season plan or fall and spring sports flipped if its being considered.