Solon vs Kirtland on Sept. 25th

Wow, that is gonna be a good game. I was impressed by how much Kirtland beat Shaker by, but this will be a nice barometer for how good the small school powerhouses really are.

I think even though Solon will have only had one game under their belt, they probably win but I'm not expecting it to be a blowout.

I'm curious. MAC fans what are some of the comparable games have schools like Marion Local and Coldwater played recently? I seem to recall them playing some upper tier bigger schools.

Wow, that is gonna be a good game. I was impressed by how much Kirtland beat Shaker by, but this will be a nice barometer for how good the small school powerhouses really are.

I think even though Solon will have only had one game under their belt, they probably win but I'm not expecting it to be a blowout.

I'm curious. MAC fans what are some of the comparable games have schools like Marion Local and Coldwater played recently? I seem to recall them playing some upper tier bigger schools.
DSJ played Detroit Catholic Central to a 14-7 loss in 2011.

MSML has a win against Dayton Chaminade but a loss to Watterson.

Coldwater and I believe DSJ as well had beaten several of the newly-created Columbus suburban schools in the mid 2000’s.

Coldwater and I believe DSJ as well had beaten several of the newly-created Columbus suburban schools in the mid 2000’s.
And for what it’s worth, CalPreps has 2011 St Ignatius beating 2011 DCC 24-14.

The St. John's-DCC game is the one I was thinking of.

This is definitely on that tier as Solon was/is expected to be a top 5 team in Greater Cleveland.

Coldwater beat then D3/2 Dublin Jerome in the mid 00's. Kokomo (Indiana) is a D1 sized school by Ohio standards. We play a division 1 school next football season. Nowhere close to a football power, but a D1 school none the less. We play Cincy Oak Hills in 2021. Not recently but in the Mid 80's Coldwater played Miamisburg. We also played Centerville way back in the day.

Coldwater beat then D3/2 Dublin Jerome in the mid 00's. Kokomo (Indiana) is a D1 sized school by Ohio standards. We play a division 1 school next football season. Nowhere close to a football power, but a D1 school none the less. We play Cincy Oak Hills in 2021. Not recently but in the Mid 80's Coldwater played Miamisburg. We also played Centerville way back in the day.

That Kokomo game also seems to fit the bill since I see they went 9-1 that year (granted I have no clue what type of program they were or the teams they played in Indiana).

That Oak Hills game should be decent but they don't seem to be anything noteworthy (maybe a Shaker type)... big D1 that hasn't done much recently. ... Shaker probably better than Oak Hills and Kirtland is one upping that one in the span of a couple of weeks. ... on top of beating an above average D2 in Riverside last year.

I know some of the smaller Catholics (I guess technically DSJ-DCC fits that bill as well) play way up quite a bit, but this may be the first time in a while where a state championship caliber public D5 or lower plays a top 10 to 20 caliber Ohio D1 in the same year.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I would guess this would be along the lines of say Coldwater vs. Centerville matchup. (Based off overall program types).

That Kokomo game also seems to fit the bill since I see they went 9-1 that year (granted I have no clue what type of program they were or the teams they played in Indiana).

That Oak Hills game should be decent but they don't seem to be anything noteworthy (maybe a Shaker type)... big D1 that hasn't done much recently. ... Shaker probably better than Oak Hills and Kirtland is one upping that one in the span of a couple of weeks. ... on top of beating an above average D2 in Riverside last year.

I know some of the smaller Catholics (I guess technically DSJ-DCC fits that bill as well) play way up quite a bit, but this may be the first time in a while where a state championship caliber public D5 or lower plays a top 10 to 20 caliber Ohio D1 in the same year.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I would guess this would be along the lines of say Coldwater vs. Centerville matchup. (Based off overall program types).
Kokomo was this wing T/option team that was supposed to run down our throats.Oak Hills is a game we took because we had a gap year in between 2 two year contracts and we needed a game. We really didnt have many options for a 1 year deal. I would've enjoyed a marquee one off game but who knows. A game is a game. I would say comparing the Kirtland game to CW vs Centerville is pretty accurate. I'm very intrigued by that Kirtland vs Solon matchup. Will that be streamed next week?

Not a D1 power, but Marion Local beat D3 Chaminade by 28 points in 2017. Chaminade went on to lose to Trotwood (D3 state champs) in the regional finals by 30 points. Trotwood beat the eventual D1 Champs Pickerington Central by 9 points that year. I know comparing scores can be deceiving, but that is probably the best example I can find for MSML. Marion Local went on to beat Kirtland by 23 points in the state finals that year. I would not underestimate Kirtland against Solon. I predict a Kirtland win. Good luck to the Hornets!

Would have been interesting to see the 2014 D7 Marion Local team against some bigger schools. Not saying they would have beaten the best of the best among the big school elite, but that team could have held their own against some good quality big schools.

Last edited:
Kirtland cancels Beachwood to take on Solon as per News-Herald report. 2 DI schools for the Hornets this year.

Good for Kirtland. Lot of respect for that program. On the flipside, Solon passes on scheduling fellow D1-R1 St. Edward in a year when everyone makes the playoffs to schedule a D5 school.

WOW, Kirtland! Kudos to the team leadership for changing what could have been a COVID disaster season into positive experiences for the players and program.

For what it's worth, Cal preps currently predicts:

Kirtland 28, Solon 22

Good for Kirtland. They take advantage of the situation in a year when the regular season doesn't matter and get to see how they stack up.

Good. I always thought they played a weak schedule for as good as they are. Not that they need to, because they dominate their division, just more interesting. And they can afford it.

Good. I always thought they played a weak schedule for as good as they are. Not that they need to, because they dominate their division, just more interesting. And they can afford it.
They moved up in the cvc already. It isn't their fault . They have just built a powerhouse. Beat D2 riverside recently and D1 shaker and D4 lake Catholic this season

Kirtland looks to be the class in D5 with Ridgewood right behind. As for scheduling up, Canton Central does this every year. Whether they do this to prepare themselves for the playoffs or no one the same size will play them.

I played against Solon twice in my HS career at Walsh; we lost to them both times in 2001 and 2002. And growing up in Macedonia, with them in the WRC-North, I had to watch my friends deal with (and lose to) them too. So, if Solon is giving Kirtland a shot to play the big boys... let them. Let's see how it goes. It's not like Kirtland would have had any other opportunity anyway. Let's grab our popcorn and be fans of the game... as much as 2020 will let us.

WIn/Win/Win for Tiger.
He gets to compete against a really good program to prepare him for playoffs.
He's not expected to win and it has no affect on his playoff chances.
If they win, it's huge for their program.
Genius.

Good for Kirtland. Lot of respect for that program. On the flipside, Solon passes on scheduling fellow D1-R1 St. Edward in a year when everyone makes the playoffs to schedule a D5 school.

I'm guessing going with Kirtland over St. Ed's is probably because it will be Solon's second game so they probably don't feel like they would be ready to take on Ed's (and may see them in the playoffs anyway).

Not like Kirtland is going to be a pushover but as good as they are, its not St. Edward.

But that's just my guess for why they went with Kirtland.

Delphos St. John's beat Worthington Kilbourne to open the '06 season. DSJ ended up 6-4 and not making the playoffs while Kilbourne went 4-6. WK used to be pretty good in the late '90s/early '00s. What happened to that program?

I'm guessing going with Kirtland over St. Ed's is probably because it will be Solon's second game so they probably don't feel like they would be ready to take on Ed's (and may see them in the playoffs anyway).

Not like Kirtland is going to be a pushover but as good as they are, its not St. Edward.

But that's just my guess for why they went with Kirtland.
I'd take a public school over st eds too. Wait for the playoffs to play them and don't give their staff head to head film to prepare.

But we have no choice since we can't get publics out of conference to play against us

It's indeed a win win for Kirtland. Not many expect them to win. But Solon will have only one game under their belts and Kirtland will have 4. Stranger things have happened.

Kirtland beat riverside , shaker and lake Catholic recently after all

Last edited:
I'd take a public school over st eds too. Wait for the playoffs to play them and don't give their staff head to head film to prepare.

But we have no choice since we can't get publics out of conference to play against us

It's indeed a win win for Kirtland. Not many expect them to win. But Solon will have only one game under their belts and Kirtland will have 4. Stranger things have happened.

Kirtland beat riverside , shaker and lake Catholic recently after all

I'll ask on this thread. Does anybody know when Solon started practicing? I thought they were among the schools that originally wasn't planning on playing at all so didn't start in August when most schools did. Since they didn't announce they were even playing until after Week 1, I'm guessing they have only been practicing for about two weeks. Where Kirtland, I'm assuming, did start in early August and did get in a scrimmage on top of the three regular season games.

That could be the great equalizer, though Solon does have a lot of experience so can't use it as an excuse. Plus, not only has Kirtland beat those schools, but did so by margins that you would have also expected a school like Solon to do.

I wonder if Kirtland will pick up another bigger school in Week 6 since I'm sure Hawken (which is in the same boat as Solon as far as practice time) can't be thrilled about that beat down that is to come. ... I'm surprised Grand Valley hasn't opted out this week, either. That could be an 80-0 game at halftime if Kirtland wanted to do that.

Solon being out of the loop and Kirtland having already played a DI school are two big advantages to the Hornets that they wouldn't have had in other years. It is worth probably 7-14 points in their favor. If you asked me in February about this matchup, I would have guessed Solon by at least 3 or 4 scores. Maybe now it is just a couple of scores separating them.

Solon 31 Kirtland 20 is my predicting...which isn't too bad at all considering the size differential and that Solon does have a lot of experience and talent players at three key positions (QB, RB, DE).

Solon shut down on 7/30 when the Cuyahoga County board of health stuff went down. I **THINK** they returned 8/17 for skills-based conditioning stuff. I do not know what date their official return to regular practice was. Solon football's first game is this week vs. Akron SVSM.

In terms of Kirtland scheduling, they are in a league that locks them into seven games from weeks four to ten in your normal season. Starting with Fall 2021 they will be in the upper CVC as opposed to the lower-East division of the CVC. Canton Central Catholic schedules "up" because they have to more than they want to - as a general premise (though obviously Massillon Perry is a neighborhood rivalry) since they need to have opponents in the weeks most schools are locked into league games.

Another one degree of separation is 2007. Coldwater beat Mooney by 1 point in the finals. The same year Mooney beat D1 finalist Mentor 21-10. An absolutely LOADED Mooney team with future pros and power 5 players

Another one degree of separation is 2007. Coldwater beat Mooney by 1 point in the finals. The same year Mooney beat D1 finalist Mentor 21-10. An absolutely LOADED Mooney team with future pros and power 5 players
Mentor played Mooney at full strength. With a Mr football candidate Dan McCarthy at QB and safety. Mooney was still stacked without him but not nearly the same team that beat Mentor when Coldwater played them

Also Mentor was a finalist but in that year we were 4th best at best in d1. The 3 best were just on the other side of the bracket

Also score doesn't say it all. Was tight all game and Mooney got a big play long td late

Last edited: