Solon vs Kirtland on Sept. 25th

Another one degree of separation is 2007. Coldwater beat Mooney by 1 point in the finals. The same year Mooney beat D1 finalist Mentor 21-10. An absolutely LOADED Mooney team with future pros and power 5 players

Now obviously there is a huge caveat that Dan McCarthy did not play that game against Coldwater. McCarthy arguably Mooneys best/most important player at QB/DB and a Notre Dame commit.

Mentor played Mooney at full strength. With a Mr football candidate Dan McCarthy at QB and safety. Mooney was still stacked without him but not nearly the same team that beat Mentor when Coldwater played them

Also Mentor was a finalist but in that year we were 4th best at best in d1. The 3 best were just on the other side of the bracket

Also score doesn't say it all. Was tight all game and Mooney got a big play long td late

Mr. McCarthy did have a 70-yard TD run with about 4 minutes left in the game to make it 21-10 but Mooney was pretty much in control of the game after Mentor's first drive. Mentor drove about 70 yards down to Mooney's 1 on its opening drive of the game. I think what was possibly the biggest play of the game happened right then when Mooney stuffed the Mentor RB on 4th and goal to keep it scoreless. From then on Mooney outgained Mentor 410-206 total yards. Mooney rushed for over 360 yards, only threw one pass but completed that for 46 yards.

One other play I remember was the hit Mr. Zordich put on that Popelas (spelling) kid on what I remember as a WR screen pass. I only remember the kid's name because he took one of the hardest hits I have ever seen at the HS level. I want to say that was right before Mr. Harper's 58-yard FG but I'm not sure of that. IIRC Mr. Harper broke the state record with a 61-yarder a week or two later.

It was an entertaining game to watch with a lot of talent on both sides.

Kirtland looks to be the class in D5 with Ridgewood right behind. As for scheduling up, Canton Central does this every year. Whether they do this to prepare themselves for the playoffs or no one the same size will play them.

That's what I'm talking about, thanks. CCC is by no means the consistent powerhouse of a Kirtland or MAC but they commonly schedule larger D1/D2's. I would LOVE to see games vs. Stark. Massillon/Mckinley might be a stretch but I certainly have respect for those smaller programs.

I mean, when you win 99 out of your last 100 regular season games (or whatever it is now), usually by 5 tds, doesn't it get boring? Maybe not.

Mr. McCarthy did have a 70-yard TD run with about 4 minutes left in the game to make it 21-10 but Mooney was pretty much in control of the game after Mentor's first drive. Mentor drove about 70 yards down to Mooney's 1 on its opening drive of the game. I think what was possibly the biggest play of the game happened right then when Mooney stuffed the Mentor RB on 4th and goal to keep it scoreless. From then on Mooney outgained Mentor 410-206 total yards. Mooney rushed for over 360 yards, only threw one pass but completed that for 46 yards.

One other play I remember was the hit Mr. Zordich put on that Popelas (spelling) kid on what I remember as a WR screen pass. I only remember the kid's name because he took one of the hardest hits I have ever seen at the HS level. I want to say that was right before Mr. Harper's 58-yard FG but I'm not sure of that. IIRC Mr. Harper broke the state record with a 61-yarder a week or two later.

It was an entertaining game to watch with a lot of talent on both sides.
Your memory seems to be as sharp as ever for an old fart.

Kirtland looks to be the class in D5 with Ridgewood right behind. As for scheduling up, Canton Central does this every year. Whether they do this to prepare themselves for the playoffs or no one the same size will play them.
While I appreciate the compliment, Canton CC's scheduling is as much a product of necessity as it is bravado. Being an independent is part of it, but yeah, many schools of similar size aren't signing contracts.

It’s Solon that went small game hunting. Kirtland dropped a lesser opponent to schedule a D1 playoff regular. Bad take.
No. Kirtland despite being a small school has shown to be a challenge for bigger schools. Plus there are some connections between the schools that got this going

Stop being bitter just because you wanted to play them. Some schools may not want to associate with a private school like eds. They have zero obligation to you. I think elder is open week 5 so go play them if you don't like your opponent

Last edited:
No. Kirtland despite being a small school has shown to be a challenge for bigger schools. Plus there are some connections between the schools that got this going

Stop being bitter just because you wanted to play them. Some schools may not want to associate with a private school like eds. They have zero obligation to you. I think elder is open week 5 so go play them if you don't like your opponent

I’m quite alright. And don’t be a hypocrite with how you constantly complain about schools not wanting to schedule Mentor. I get the reasons some schools want nothing to do with privates, but it’s also clear that success on the field is the overriding reason programs like ours have trouble finding opponents. Solon rarely challenges themselves out of conference, and I think it would do there program some good (the same way it has yours).

As far as my response, the guy accused Kirtland of scheduling a down Solon team, which is clearly not the case.

I’m quite alright. And don’t be a hypocrite with how you constantly complain about schools not wanting to schedule Mentor. I get the reasons some schools want nothing to do with privates, but it’s also clear that success on the field is the overriding reason programs like ours have trouble finding opponents. Solon rarely challenges themselves out of conference, and I think it would do there program some good (the same way it has yours).

As far as my response, the guy accused Kirtland of scheduling a down Solon team, which is clearly not the case.
You've complained about it multiple times in this thread. I thought you guys had an opponent already but get elder if you want someone else

Publics don't schedule Mentor because of our success. Publics don't schedule Eds because of their success and other factors. We aren't like Eds and shouldnt be grouped with them

Solon is on the smaller size of D1 enrollment. They can have up and down years as they only get kids from one school system. They can't counter their lower enrollment in D1 like Eds who recruits across 5 or 6 counties.

I don't blame them for wanting to play publics first . Mentor would probably want to play publics first instead of Eds too but we just don't have the options. And that has nothing to do with Eds success as we've done quite well as a match for them

Ps:. It's quite ironic we are talking about Solon scheduling privates when they just played a private school yesterday ..

One that has had quite a lot of success. Hoban is just getting the better recruiting classes now as you saw in week 2. I know this opponent wasn't d1 but that matters far less with privates. D2-d5 privates getting kids across many counties can still have more talent than d1 publics in many years. Hoban , Mooney , st v, ursuline , Benny etc are evidence of that.

Recruiting is a huge advantage that overcomes numbers of one school district. You could have less talent roll through your one school district a few years in a row and your team will suck. Can't roll across 4 other counties to counter that

Last edited:
You've complained about it multiple times in this thread. I thought you guys had an opponent already but get elder if you want someone else

Publics don't schedule Mentor because of our success. Publics don't schedule Eds because of their success and other factors. We aren't like Eds and shouldnt be grouped with them

Solon is on the smaller size of D1 enrollment. They can have up and down years as they only get kids from one school system. They can't counter their lower enrollment in D1 like Eds who recruits across 5 or 6 counties.

I don't blame them for wanting to play publics first . Mentor would probably want to play publics first instead of Eds too but we just don't have the options. And that has nothing to do with Eds success as we've done quite well as a match for them

We were due to play at the Pit this year, but cancelled because they are trying to limit travel and are not using buses this year. Parents have to drive their kids to the game.

We were due to play at the Pit this year, but cancelled because they are trying to limit travel and are not using buses this year. Parents have to drive their kids to the game.
That's fine. That's your choice.

I edited my post to add more. They just played a private.

That's fine. That's your choice.

I edited my post to add more. They just played a private.

Yes, a division three private that has been second fiddle to Hoban for the past 5+ years. They have their scheduling philosophy and that’s fine. It’s funny, when McQuaide was our head coach and we could barely qualify for the playoffs on a regular basis, the publics of all sizes were lined up to play us.

Yes, a division three private that has been second fiddle to Hoban for the past 5+ years. They have their scheduling philosophy and that’s fine. It’s funny, when McQuaide was our head coach and we could barely qualify for the playoffs on a regular basis, the publics of all sizes were lined up to play us.
Privates jump in to try to steal wins on down years too. See Lake Catholic scheduling Ignatius for one year to take a win and not continue the series. So it happens

If Mentor fell back to even a Euclid type level I bet more publics would schedule us. Not sure publics would rush to schedule eds if you were at that level. Probably only if you completely sucked

Again we don't do things like Eds. The only similar things between our programs is being more competitive than not in the past 15-20 years. Otherwise completely different ethics and ways of building

I'd play Kirtland , chardon ,Mayfield etc over Eds too if we could. Heck I'd play Benny over them as well as we wouldn't be giving them film in case we see them again for the playoffs

Ps:. Solon got pasted by that so called down st v team 28-7. So if the st v you downed as an afterthought just killed them , why are you complaining about not getting Solon on Eds schedule this year ? Doesn't seem it would help you much

Last edited:
Kirtland vs. Solon. How 'bout we discuss that matchup?
2 good public schools. Solon only has one game under their belts and got killed. Kirtland will have 4 games under their belts plus an extra scrimmage and more practice. Kirtland has nothing to lose in this matchup. Really in a weird year where everyone makes the playoffs, Solon has nothing to lose as well

I think it will be a completive game. You'd think Solon would win a close one. But if Solon is really down, Kirtland could take it.

2 good public schools. Solon only has one game under their belts and got killed. Kirtland will have 4 games under their belts plus an extra scrimmage and more practice. Kirtland has nothing to lose in this matchup. Really in a weird year where everyone makes the playoffs, Solon has nothing to lose as well

I think it will be a completive game. You'd think Solon would win a close one. But if Solon is really down, Kirtland could take it.

I guess that's one of the few positives coming out of this goofy year, we get to see some matchups we might not otherwise see. I was surprised by the Solon- SVSM score. I'm not convinced the Irish are all that this year and they sure took it to Solon. That may be in part due to Solon's limited games as you mentioned.

I guess that's one of the few positives coming out of this goofy year, we get to see some matchups we might not otherwise see. I was surprised by the Solon- SVSM score. I'm not convinced the Irish are all that this year and they sure took it to Solon. That may be in part due to Solon's limited games as you mentioned.
Yeah zero games or scrimmages and way less practice will do that. They'd better turn it around fast if they want to beat Kirtland

This.

No scrimmages and a late start to Solon's season will put any team behind.

I also wonder of the same factor doesn't result in more injuries. Time will tell.

I don't think injuries are a big issue, I think the biggest issue is personnel usage and packages. Starters are usually not decided purely on practice, scrimmages help vet who should be playing and when. Also the coaches need to get back into a rhythm, they too need to get back into the swing of things.

As an ironton fan, I think down here in Southern Ohio we can attest to ridgewood. They are solid and think they'll meet again. But no one in D5 is kirtland. Ironton is very good and deep this year but start a soph qb who will be good but carrico won't be able to run against hornets
Ironton always played up and was good for them going in to playoffs. Kudos to kirtland.

Privates jump in to try to steal wins on down years too. See Lake Catholic scheduling Ignatius for one year to take a win and not continue the series. So it happens

If Mentor fell back to even a Euclid type level I bet more publics would schedule us. Not sure publics would rush to schedule eds if you were at that level. Probably only if you completely sucked

Again we don't do things like Eds. The only similar things between our programs is being more competitive than not in the past 15-20 years. Otherwise completely different ethics and ways of building

I'd play Kirtland , chardon ,Mayfield etc over Eds too if we could. Heck I'd play Benny over them as well as we wouldn't be giving them film in case we see them again for the playoffs

Ps:. Solon got pasted by that so called down st v team 28-7. So if the st v you downed as an afterthought just killed them , why are you complaining about not getting Solon on Eds schedule this year ? Doesn't seem it would help you much

In response to your PS after you stewed over this some more, I never claimed St. V was down. I know nothing about them this year. I said they are a D3 school that has played second fiddle in recent years to their rival Hoban. That's a fact. I don't think Solon likes to challenge themselves much out of conference. This year presents a perfect opportunity to "schedule up" without repercussion. There was an opportunity for them in week 5 to do just that against a St. Ed's team that is behind where they've been in recent years. Instead they work something out with a D5 school who is looking to challenge themselves, and screw Beachwood out of a game in the process. Whether Solon is on our schedule or not, I could care less. Just calling out what I think was a missed opportunity.

The way that Kirtland has been, I can see them moving up to Division IV, at least from a competitive balance standpoint. I'm glad to see they've moved up to the top tier of the CVC, as they've outgrown that conference and then some. And as someone that graduated from Shaker, it was really cool to see them play against my alma mater.

Not to derail the thread too much, but what happened to Cuyahoga Heights? They're usually pretty decent year in and year out. But they've been blown out in each of their losses.

The way that Kirtland has been, I can see them moving up to Division IV, at least from a competitive balance standpoint. I'm glad to see they've moved up to the top tier of the CVC, as they've outgrown that conference and then some. And as someone that graduated from Shaker, it was really cool to see them play against my alma mater.

Not to derail the thread too much, but what happened to Cuyahoga Heights? They're usually pretty decent year in and year out. But they've been blown out in each of their losses.
It would be interesting to see Kirtland in Division IV, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. In fact, if anything, Kirtland could even drop a division as they’re one of the smallest schools in Division V.

As far as competitive balance goes, here’s my understanding of how CB #’s are determined, someone can correct me if I’m wrong:

1.) If you’re a public school your CB # goes up 1 for each student that doesn’t have a parent residing in the school district area/attendance zone.
2.) If you’re a private/non-public school your CB # goes up 2 for each student that didn’t attend private school since 7th grade & 1 if they didn’t come from a feeder school.

Kirtland’s CB # is 0 since they’re a public closed enrollment school, so there’s essentially no chance they get to Division IV.

Shaker Heights had some talent out there. Their QB threw a good ball & they had some athletic linebackers & receivers. I expect a lot of the same from Solon, but perhaps some better talent.

In terms of Cuyahoga Heights, I had heard from fans in recent years saying their down year was coming, but didn’t know when. They’ll come back to relevance very soon as long as Coach Martin is there.