Soccer 2017

Not sure but I do know alumni soccer players aren't too pleased with the current head coach/AD. Took away the alumni soccer game completely.

Not sure but I do know alumni soccer players aren't too pleased with the current head coach/AD. Took away the alumni soccer game completely.

Do you know why? Seems kind of odd for something that likely costs very little money. Wouldn't this be something the Alumni group puts together anyway? Seems petty, but then again, I don't have the facts.

I guess they could always organize one on their own.

Last edited:
Yeah it makes no sense. It used to be varsity vs. alumni. They took that way because it counted as one of a limited number of scrimmages allowed by the OHSAA. Okay, that somewhat makes sense, even though varsity probably played better competition in the alumni vs. whatever local team came around. But that is at least somewhat defensible. So they made it 11 v 11 alumni and then took that away this year.

No, trey I don't know why. A liability issue maybe? If that's the case have everyone sign a waiver.

I don't see it being any different than the Alumni Softball League. And I think they used to have an Alumni Basketball League.

I hope they still organize and play the game on their own.

Not sure why the coach would have a say in this if it's strictly alumni playing. I get it if the current players are involved, but it sounds like they're not.

I wonder if interest from alumni was waning? I remember quite a few posts on social media last year looking for alumni to participate.

I did see Elder is hosting an Elder Soccer Night at FC Cincinnati in early August in place of the alumni game.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1970584553176519/

It will be an awesome evening of soccer and camaraderie for the entire Elder family as well as for our past, present, and future Elder Soccer players!

Specially-priced reserved seat tickets to the FCC vs. Orlando City B match are just $10.00 each. Click on Tickets to order -- our group portal code is: ELDERNIGHT. Please call us at (513) 921-3411 if seats are no longer available on the portal and we will ask FCC to expand our group section.

ATTENTION CURRENT ELDER SOCCER PLAYERS! Current Elder Soccer players and their families should see head coach Tony Gray for an order form! Please do not use the group portal.

ATTENTION ELDER SOCCER ALUMNI! This event will take the place of our annual Alumni Soccer Match! So grab your girlfriends, spouses, and other family members and reunite with ol' Elder Soccer friends at the FCC game!

The Facebook post mentions future Elder soccer players, too, so hopefully there is some outreach to kids in grade school, too.

^ which is why it was much easier when it was played against the varsity. You only needed 11 and a couple subs maybe. Now you need 22 and more than a couple subs.

From my not so professional opinion the coach isn't that good. In the 2 games I've been these two things have stuck out the most:
1) someone from the other team totally unmarked at the top far side of the Elder box whenever the ball is near Elder's goal
2) an insane amount of kick ball from Elder

Either the coach refuses to make in game and post game adjustments or the kids refuse to listen to him. Either way it's not good.

Taco McArthur,after having seen every game this year I have to agree with you. Personnel management and strategy are not this coach's strong suit.