Single Game 3-pt Record Broken Tonight

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
JT Hoyng’s single game record of 16 three pointers (set vs East Knox in January 1998) has been broken. The Sparta Highland star’s feat was broken by Andre Trent of Columbus Independence tonight in a win over Columbus Cristo Rey. Made 17 threes through the first three quarters, including 11 in the first half.

Hat tip to Zach Fleer of 270Hoops for covering the significant event as it happened!

Not too many threes are defended in HS. Catch and shoot. Sometimes not even that. After the first couple I do imagine the opposing coach told at least one of his players to guard the kid so maybe he's just that good at getting open.

Still impressive.

JT Hoyng’s single game record of 16 three pointers (set vs East Knox in January 1998) has been broken. The Sparta Highland star’s feat was broken by Andre Trent of Columbus Independence tonight in a win over Columbus Cristo Rey. Made 17 threes through the first three quarters, including 11 in the first half.

Hat tip to Zach Fleer of 270Hoops for covering the significant event as it happened!
Congratulations! How many did he attempt?

Not too many threes are defended in HS. Catch and shoot. Sometimes not even that. After the first couple I do imagine the opposing coach told at least one of his players to guard the kid so maybe he's just that good at getting open.

Still impressive.
I’ve seen the highlights on Twitter and there was no attempt to slow him down. Cristo Rey might be one of the worst teams in the state. Independence might be the worst city league school outside of International. Don’t get me wrong the kid can shoot but a half way decent shooter could have had 10 in that game. The league my sons are in if you hit 2 3s they won’t let you breathe the rest of the season in league play much less even get 17 off.

I’ve seen the highlights on Twitter and there was no attempt to slow him down. Cristo Rey might be one of the worst teams in the state. Independence might be the worst city league school outside of International. Don’t get me wrong the kid can shoot but a half way decent shooter could have had 10 in that game. The league my sons are in if you hit 2 3s they won’t let you breathe the rest of the season in league play much less even get 17 off.
Yeah. Cristo Rey is not good.

point.

But now I've looked at some and the kid is a shooter. Extremely quick. He can accept the pass off the run or standing. Catch it low or high. His feet are ready. His body is square. The shot is off. I get your point, maybe if a bit winded. That team moves the ball well (at least in that practice game :) ). He's going to get his open shots and he's going to make them.

Kids all across the state, every year have had their "Cristo Rey" game and did not accomplish what he did. I see nothing to down play in the effort when there's proof in the pudding coming in play-offs.

point.

But now I've looked at some and the kid is a shooter. Extremely quick. He can accept the pass off the run or standing. Catch it low or high. His feet are ready. His body is square. The shot is off. I get your point, maybe if a bit winded. That team moves the ball well (at least in that practice game :) ). He's going to get his open shots and he's going to make them.

Kids all across the state, every year have had their "Cristo Rey" game and did not accomplish what he did. I see nothing to down play in the effort when there's proof in the pudding coming in play-offs.

Yep. Still have to make them.

I think one of our guys had three dunks against Cristo Rey and then got tired of running the floor and had to settle for layups the rest of the night.

Great game by him! Congrats!

As others have said, Cristo Rey is not good. I've seen them play before and get torched by someone but they never did anything to stop it. They ran a 2-3 trap for the entire game, even as they were down big, and it kept leaving guys so wide open. That's not to damper the accomplishment though! Surely this isn't the first time a good shooter has faced a bad defense and nobody has ever made 17 before (in three quarters no less). Well done!

Yep. Still have to make them.

I think one of our guys had three dunks against Cristo Rey and then got tired of running the floor and had to settle for layups the rest of the night.

run'em till they cramp. Might be in their defensive playbook. :D

YIKES! I just read my response to your post above and it looks bad
"I get your point, maybe if a bit winded. "

I meant if the PLAYER gets a bit winded, his shots would be affected. I wasn't referring to your opinion.

sorry

run'em till they cramp. Might be in their defensive playbook. :D

YIKES! I just read my response to your post above and it looks bad
"I get your point, maybe if a bit winded. "

I meant if the PLAYER gets a bit winded, his shots would be affected. I wasn't referring to your opinion.

sorry

That was always my go to move on the playground. Let my guy score until he gets tired of scoring...

The Cristo Rey JV team had a couple of kids who couldn't dribble without looking at the ball - and that was at what I would characterize as a modest walking pace. I didn't see the varsity play, but it's not hard to imagine they were pretty bad.

At the same time, making 16 or 17 threes in a 32 minute game is impressive, assuming he didn't take 60 shots.