Since we have been so accurate predicting ....

powerpost

What is the governor going to say about sports next week? He has announced he will be talking on this subject.

DeWine is a moron. He will find a way to screw the pooch on this one. No huge risks in kids playing sports. Heck his face mask mandate isn’t working either.

I will say that power five college conferences cancelling football is a different animal in the state to state travel sense . Yes the MAC shutting it down is a bit different with 6 teams within Ohio . 6 game local only proposal is about all you can do really. BUT the numbers have to improve over a longer period of time and this just isn't happening .

No, DeWine is not an idiot......People who think that all this turmoil is a farce are the idiots....Do you dunces actually think that all the professional and college teams are doing this as a hoax.....not when big money is involved. Face facts and not lies and fear from the top. Check out the numbers of the sick and dying and dead in the USA......If you people are so immune to this serious disease, you will still survive without football and I am a huge college and high school football fan. I cannot fathom such stupidity as to blame DeWine and others who are doing all their work to save lives.

No, DeWine is not an idiot......People who think that all this turmoil is a farce are the idiots....Do you dunces actually think that all the professional and college teams are doing this as a hoax.....not when big money is involved. Face facts and not lies and fear from the top. Check out the numbers of the sick and dying and dead in the USA......If you people are so immune to this serious disease, you will still survive without football and I am a huge college and high school football fan. I cannot fathom such stupidity as to blame DeWine and others who are doing all their work to save lives.
Ee86lxmX0AUV1gB.jpg

This is nearly insanity.

The impact of the virus - cases, hospitalizations, deaths - will probably decrease fairly soon simply because the virus will have run its course. But it will still linger. And a vaccine - whenever it arrives - will almost certainly not be close to 100% effective.

Thus, are we going to impact a huge majority of the population by cancelling things month after month for the next 5 years to increase by a nearly negligible amount the protection afforded to 4% of the population?

This is crazy! We should continue to put forth a solid effort to protect the truly vulnerable, of course, but otherwise move forward. The idea that all of the cancellations are going to make a noticeable difference seems like nonsense - in fact I truly believe it possibly may be utter nonsense.

We are letting a mostly irrational fear cause us to lose perspective and overreact.

Football Coaches Association meets with the Governors Office what last week? OHSAA Announced the new schedule format Friday late afternoon. Dewine announces he will give guidelines this week. DO you really think OHSAA Would announce the new plan if they hadn't got pre-approved by Dewine? Dewine is going to allow contact sports this fall, whether you all love it or not.

And to think that they got rid of J. Snodgrass. For what reason? I am still baffled by that. Is OHSAA in better shape without him now than with him? If so, I'd really like to know how. What a cluster...

I will believe him making a decision when he actually does it. It’s been weeks that we thought he would say something and he keeps pushing it back. Realistically he doesn’t need to make a decision for 2 more weeks.

If Big Ten cancels season Monday or Tuesday Morning, DeWine will cancel Tuesday, if Big Ten cancels Tuesday-Thursday Morning, DeWine will cancel Thursday. If Big Ten does nothing, he will say he is looking at numbers until 8/20.

If Big Ten cancels season Monday or Tuesday Morning, DeWine will cancel Tuesday, if Big Ten cancels Tuesday-Thursday Morning, DeWine will cancel Thursday. If Big Ten does nothing, he will say he is looking at numbers until 8/20.
You really get off on things being cancelled, don't you? Lol

Yep, let's use our football players to be sacrificial lambs.

Ummm...you do realize that more players will die playing the game than die from COVID-19, right?

Keep in mind, that parents of athletes accept significant risk when it comes to football....concussions, torn shoulder labrums, clavicle fractures, arm and wrist fractures, blown out knees, tib/fib fractures (these are really bad), ankle fractures and sprains....and even death. And every single one of us has seen our kids (mine had shoulder surgery) and their friends with significant injuries. Career ending injuries. And we all know of a player or two that has died.

Is the risk of contracting COVID-19 playing football less than flying on a plane? An enclosed tube with 180 people, shoulder to shoulder, with recycled air for 4 hours? Yet, planes still fly. Marches and rallies still occur. Are these people sacrificial lambs?

We all accept risk in our lives. And public policy kills people needlessly every day. There is NO reason that anyone should drive over 35 miles per hour. None. Zip, zero...zilch. To do so is selfish and leads to the needless death of 35,000 Americans every year. Cars and trucks can be mechanically and electronically limited to 35 mph. Heck, the Turnpike could easily enforce any speed limit right now the EASYPASS. But they don't. Your need to get to work and home 10 min sooner is more important from a policy perspective than 35,000 people's right to live. And we all accept that.

These kids and their parents are willing to accept whatever risk football brings to them...COVID-19 or not. Let them play

Last edited:
I absolutely hate every single covid cancellation going on in the U.S., whether it has to do with sports (at any level), 'canceling' regular in-the-building K-12 schooling, or canceling community festivals. It seems we are seriously overreacting and will probably look back on these decisions a decade from now and laugh at ourselves (similarly to the way we currently laugh at Joe McCarthy's exaggerated and unfounded fears).

I think it's affecting my mental health because I've been kind of a grumpbutt lately!

Any suggestions for a remedy?

Last edited:
And those same kids getting part time jobs at that grocery store, fast food, pizza delivery don't sacrifice for the same risk but for little reward?
Have two nephew's who have left the house to work more often than their parents, uncle's and aunt's! The kids are already out all over the place.

Let em play. Geesh.

I absolutely hate every single covid cancellation going on in the U.S., whether it has to do with sports (at any level), 'canceling' regular in-the-building K-12 schooling, or canceling community festivals. It seems we are seriously overreacting and will probably look back on these decisions a decade from now and laugh at ourselves (similar to the way we currently laugh at Joe McCarthy's exaggerated and unfounded fears).

I think it's affecting my mental health because I've been kind of a grumpbutt lately!

Any suggestions for a remedy?
There is a clear remedy. Offer immunity from civil and legal liability. We have had a case where attempted murder charges were brought for someone not wearing a mask.

These organizations are not cancelling out of fear of the virus as much as fear of lawsuits associated with a player passing the China Virus on to a family member who then dies. That opens a school up to potential financial liability.

I've wondered if it is almost worse that this "dangerous " virus has been so bad at harming young people? If we had youth dropping dead at most every school we would not have to worry about being liable for appearing negligent or reckless if we unfortunately were the one place a death or serious complications requiring hospitalization occurred.

So the solution to me is stop debating the danger level of the virus, and start figuring out how we can stop litigation against organizations that try to operate as normal, and suffer loss due to luck of the draw where someone dies from the China Virus contracted from their organization.