Sidney won't give Josie Davis a banner because Girls isn't OHSAA

Stories like this need to be less sensational. She did not win a state title against all the boys in the state of Ohio at her weight class. Calling it the "first ever Ohio girls wrestling title" is misleading as hell. Was this to compete with the stories of a girl winning a state title in North Carolina at 106 pounds as a junior?

When I first saw this, I thought somebody had a DeLorean with a spare flex capacitor laying around and was moving around between the future and the past - since the OHSAA tournament in Ohio starts this weekend with the Sectionals being held across the state. Girls can compete in that tourney. This article highlights an accomplishment of sorts, but certainly not worthy of being called the "first ever" girls wrestling title. That would diminish from when it is actually accomplished by competitors from across the state in a state sponsored tourney - even if it is a separate girls tourney that I hope happens soon.

Am I missing the point here?

I think they point is they could give her a banner if they wanted to, just like they could give a banner in, say, fencing. They chose not to and try to pass the buck on to it not being OHSAA.

Last i checked Sidney wasn't swimming in athletic championships. Give the girl a banner and move on.

Stories like this need to be less sensational. She did not win a state title against all the boys in the state of Ohio at her weight class. Calling it the "first ever Ohio girls wrestling title" is misleading as hell. Was this to compete with the stories of a girl winning a state title in North Carolina at 106 pounds as a junior?

When I first saw this, I thought somebody had a DeLorean with a spare flex capacitor laying around and was moving around between the future and the past - since the OHSAA tournament in Ohio starts this weekend with the Sectionals being held across the state. Girls can compete in that tourney. This article highlights an accomplishment of sorts, but certainly not worthy of being called the "first ever" girls wrestling title. That would diminish from when it is actually accomplished by competitors from across the state in a state sponsored tourney - even if it is a separate girls tourney that I hope happens soon.

Completely. The OHSAA holds no ownership on the term "State Champion", or of scholastic sports in general. A tournament was held open to any girl from any high school in the state. It's very reasonable that those who won that tournament can rightly be considered "State Champion".

I think they point is they could give her a banner if they wanted to, just like they could give a banner in, say, fencing. They chose not to and try to pass the buck on to it not being OHSAA.

Last i checked Sidney wasn't swimming in athletic championships. Give the girl a banner and move on.
I'm aware of Luce in wrestling. That's all I know about in terms of state titles. Perhaps some Yellow Jackets could correct me if that's not the complete list.

She had a 29 girl bracket in her weight class and went 5-0 en route to winning it. The OHSWCA sponsored the GirlsState Tournament and it was endorsed by OHSAA, since the girls division is not officially sanctioned yet. OHSAA allowed the use of championship mat, podium, state ranked OHSAA officials and the design of the awards.

I'm in different gyms all winter long. I see banners for Cheerleading, lacrosse and many other sports that aren't OHSAA. Not once have I said, they should take that down, doesn't count because it wasn't hosted by OHSAA.

NOTE: In the article I read (perhaps the same as the one in the OP) the superintendent and athletic director are meeting with the parents to determine the best course of action.

I haven't seen an individual state championship BANNER. That doesn't mean they don't exist; just saying I haven't seen one. Most of the time it is a team championship banner (or accomplishment like finalist, SemiFinalist, or Final Four) for the team and pictures on a wall near the gym for individual accomplishments.

I would hope the wrestling team is doing something within the walls of the wrestling room. I know I certainly would.

The part about this that is disturbing is that the AD took the girl in the gym and told her that she wasn't getting a banner like the other ones because hers was not a real championship. I can understand her not getting a banner in the gym, but why be a d*ck about it?

I would bet that Sidney, like almost EVERY other school in America, has some form of cheerleading state championship banner in their gym that wasn't sanctioned by OHSAA.

If you have never noticed this, look in all high school gyms...I can almost guarantee there will be a cheerleading state championship banner there.

Give the kid a banner or picture on the wall or whatever you do for all other state champs. There is ZERO harm in doing that.

HELLO(Herm Edwards voice)..It is not YET a state sponsored event! Like it or hate it this is the correct behavior for an administrator or anyone with the goal of getting this sanctioned by OHSAA to promote the hypocrisy of not recognizing the significance of the accomplishment.....how it is delivered worded etc...is a media issue an possibly an AD problem but don’t assume it is as ! Scott Tressler(mydude) taught me about those who “assume”I know none of the parties involved personally but what the AD did,..and the outrage some are claiming... are what will get it sanctioned because we know the struggle involved for the title and respect it...in my opinion this “outrageous“ response is the same I’d expect if my child won a mario kart tournament sponsored by HS cuz they want Mario kart as a sport...people step back, pause and or kill yr emotions,try and rationalize how best we can achieve the goal we all want and recognize that the answer/responses we all want are there but it’s our own culture/past that is handcuffing what we want... MAKE IT A SPORT OHSAA IT DESERVES TO BE AN THEN HANG YOUR BANNERS,,

I'm aware of Luce in wrestling. That's all I know about in terms of state titles. Perhaps some Yellow Jackets could correct me if that's not the complete list.
There are three I believe, and they're hanging in the basketball gym. All are individual championships. Dwan Ward won shotput in the late 80's, Paul Miller won a swimming event in the mid 2000s, and Luce in wrestling as you mentioned.

I feel they should throw one up for her as well. It isn't as if Sidney is rolling around in championships.

UOFRD
What is a state sponsored event???
It is not an OHSAA sponsored event.
I don't think the state of ohio sponsors any events.
It was an OHSWCA sponsered event and they are a state association so I would say it was a state sponsored event.

Sidney School Change Course, Will Honor Wrestler
WHIO just put out an update on the story. The school has reversed their original decision and will be hanging an individual state champion banner next to the other ones in their gym recognizing past champions

Sweet.

I was unaware of previous practices by the school. This news makes sense.

As I've been thinking about this situation, I recalled that my high school has two individuals earn letters and maybe more for rodeo. I remember thinking WTH is this???

so let me understand - this was a girls only tournament? I did not see that stated in the original story on the video. If that is the case, then I can see why they would be pushing for this to be a state championship for this girl. I have no problem with that.

I guess I was comparing it to the story coming out of North Carolina about a girl winning a state championship there at 106lbs as a senior. She did that against a field of mostly all boys for a pure state title of the best in the state - in the division she wrestled in. Apparently there were only 8 competitors and the other 7 were all boys. I don't know what division she wrestled in.

so let me understand - this was a girls only tournament? I did not see that stated in the original story on the video. If that is the case, then I can see why they would be pushing for this to be a state championship for this girl. I have no problem with that.

I guess I was comparing it to the story coming out of North Carolina about a girl winning a state championship there at 106lbs as a senior. She did that against a field of mostly all boys for a pure state title of the best in the state - in the division she wrestled in. Apparently there were only 8 competitors and the other 7 were all boys. I don't know what division she wrestled in.
It was the Ohio High School Wrestling coaches association girls state tournament.

Yes, a girls only open tournament.

She competed in the smallest division and pretty much dominated it (Fall, 9-4, 11-3).

How about OAC Junior High State Champions? Does any school recognize those? Ours does not. I think they should put one up for her.

I have never seen a cheer banner.

Have seen a few non OHSAA state championship banners, a tribute to those who played before at the school, not necessarily pride in a state title. Those banners were hung before the school became an OHSAA member.

Sidney is an OHSAA member, and as such should they have to hang a banner for sports that are so to speak the minor leagues? CUP STACKING CHAMPION OF OHIO.

On the flip side, I appreciate her as a trail blazer, and one day what she did may lead to many girls competing for Sanctioned titles.

Go ahead and hoist the banner, it can always be removed later. Looking forward 500 years, most schools will likely need more space for banners by then.

I have never seen a cheer banner.

Have seen a few non OHSAA state championship banners, a tribute to those who played before at the school, not necessarily pride in a state title. Those banners were hung before the school became an OHSAA member.

Sidney is an OHSAA member, and as such should they have to hang a banner for sports that are so to speak the minor leagues? CUP STACKING CHAMPION OF OHIO.

On the flip side, I appreciate her as a trail blazer, and one day what she did may lead to many girls competing for Sanctioned titles.

Go ahead and hoist the banner, it can always be removed later. Looking forward 500 years, most schools will likely need more space for banners by then.
There are varsity sports not part of OHSAA where the level of play is every bit as good as sports sanctioned by your so-called "major league" organization.

Our school doesn't do banners for the indoor track meet since it is not an OHSAA sponsored sport. I sure they would make the same choice for girls wrestling. Schools have the right to drawl the line where they want.
True, and at least in the case of public schools, the people have the right to remind the people running the schools that they work for us.