Sidney Superintendent controversy over BK warm up music

2,000 students spread out over 12 grades is the 23rd largest school system in Ohio?
Sorry for any confusion. For the 2,000-students-count, I was referring to High School (9-12) only. The district I live in has about 5,800 total students (K-12).

Woke , Woke, Woke. There is No place for these Words at an Educational/public setting. Period !
I don't think you know what woke means. Also, if those words have no place in an educational setting, then they have no place in an educator's vocabulary, correct?

I don't think you know what woke means. Also, if those words have no place in an educational setting, then they have no place in an educator's vocabulary, correct?
If I tell you that you cannot play music at my wedding with the words slut, hoe, and bitch, does that make me a bad person?

The intentions of the super were honorable and we c an only wish more supers would have the same reaction. I am surprised though that he used the actual word in his written comment. I'm curious why he just didn't stick with the "N-word". But he didn't and it's a learning for him but some people need to get that damn chip off their shoulder and look a little deeper at what he was trying to accomplish.

Which word do you think? The one you are willing to say or the one that is only identified by its first letter?
If we can't use the actual word as part of the education process as to why it's wrong to be included in any setting, in this case songs during a basketball game, then we diminish the educational impact.

We need to quit acting like because the word is spoken or written by someone that some other person erupts in flames somewhere. Intent and purpose needs to be considered. Here he was simply pointing out that the use of that word is why the song is not being allowed.

If we can't use the actual word as part of the education process as to why it's wrong to be included in any setting, in this case songs during a basketball game, then we diminish the educational impact.

We need to quit acting like because the word is spoken or written by someone that some other person erupts in flames somewhere. Intent and purpose needs to be considered. Here he was simply pointing out that the use of that word is why the song is not being allowed.
I genuinely can't believe how you could argue why it needs to be ok and even necessary for someone to use a racial slur, in any context. Just dumb. Be better.

I genuinely can't believe how you could argue why it needs to be ok and even necessary for someone to use a racial slur, in any context. Just dumb. Be better.
Ok. I agree. Let's ban all rap songs that use that word. You going to join me in this crusade?

He didn't use a racial slur. He pointed out the song has that racial slur in it and that is why he isn't allowing the song to be played. It's not the same thing.

Ok. I agree. Let's ban all rap songs that use that word. You going to join me in this crusade?

He didn't use a racial slur. He pointed out the song has that racial slur in it and that is why he isn't allowing the song to be played. It's not the same thing.
Point #1: Sure. I have no issue with him saying they're inappropriate. He's right, and it's his right to say they can't play it. No issue.

Point #2: He absolutely used a racial slur. That's undeniable. Just because he didn't direct it at anyone doesn't mean he didn't use it. I can't just up and decide to start calling a spoon the n-word and then say "IT'S NOT A RACIAL SLUR BECAUSE I WASN'T CALLING A PERSON THAT". That's just idiotic logic.

Point #1: Sure. I have no issue with him saying they're inappropriate. He's right, and it's his right to say they can't play it. No issue.

Point #2: He absolutely used a racial slur. That's undeniable. Just because he didn't direct it at anyone doesn't mean he didn't use it. I can't just up and decide to start calling a spoon the n-word and then say "IT'S NOT A RACIAL SLUR BECAUSE I WASN'T CALLING A PERSON THAT". That's just idiotic logic.
Yes, intent matters. What if he was just rapping along with a rap song? Is that wrong?

Intent absolutely matters. I have heard countless white actors use that word in movies. They said the words. But they were acting and not using the word at anyone really.

Have we grown that sensitive as a society that we can't verbalize a word that we know is wrong to point out it's wrong and why?

Yes, intent matters. What if he was just rapping along with a rap song? Is that wrong?

Intent absolutely matters. I have heard countless white actors use that word in movies. They said the words. But they were acting and not using the word at anyone really.

Have we grown that sensitive as a society that we can't verbalize a word that we know is wrong to point out it's wrong and why?
He didn’t use the word to point out why it’s wrong. He just typed it out. Saying “it contains the n-word” completes the exact same thing. If he was attempting to educate, he did it lazily. I don’t think he was trying to educate, I think he was just appalled he was even being asked to approve such obviously inappropriate songs and responded without much thought.

and yea, if he said it while rapping along with a song , that would also not be good.

He didn’t use the word to point out why it’s wrong. He just typed it out. Saying “it contains the n-word” completes the exact same thing. If he was attempting to educate, he did it lazily. I don’t think he was trying to educate, I think he was just appalled he was even being asked to approve such obviously inappropriate songs and responded without much thought.

and yea, if he said it while rapping along with a song , that would also not be good.
Wait. Why would it not be good if he was rapping along to a song that had that in the lyrics? Seems silly to me. The artist put that word in the song for a reason.

Wait. Why would it not be good if he was rapping along to a song that had that in the lyrics? Seems silly to me. The artist put that word in the song for a reason.
There was literally a professional coach fired in Ohio in 2021 for this exact thing. Are you seriously not aware that’s an issue, or just pretending to try and make a point?

There was literally a professional coach fired in Ohio in 2021 for this exact thing. Are you seriously not aware that’s an issue, or just pretending to try and make a point?
Never heard that and I disagree with him being fired for singing along to a song.

Never heard that and I disagree with him being fired for singing along to a song.
it was 2020, not 2021 (last two years kinda mesh together, don’t they). FC Cincinnati, MLS team. Point is, there are lots of people who find that inappropriate amongst adults, so much so that a guy lost his job. Right or wrong, a superintendent should be aware of the potential for controversy and avoided the controversy, or at least had a plan to combat it when it arrives.

instead this dude just rage quit Instagram.

it was 2020, not 2021 (last two years kinda mesh together, don’t they). FC Cincinnati, MLS team. Point is, there are lots of people who find that inappropriate amongst adults, so much so that a guy lost his job. Right or wrong, a superintendent should be aware of the potential for controversy and avoided the controversy, or at least had a plan to combat it when it arrives.

instead this dude just rage quit Instagram.
Agree to disagree. If you use it in a negative way, you should expect some repercussions. Singing along to a popular song is overly sensitive. What the super did wasn't negative use. You can say it's dumb if you want. Again, in that context I think people are being overly sensitive.

Agree to disagree. If you use it in a negative way, you should expect some repercussions. Singing along to a popular song is overly sensitive. What the super did wasn't negative use. You can say it's dumb if you want. Again, in that context I think people are being overly sensitive.
I respect our ability to debate this with civility.

I’m siding with the superintendent. Maybe he shouldn’t have used the N word, but that’s where this all started. I used the word WOKE because this is what some of this country has become. Only certain people or certain groups can say and do what they want. If someone outside their box says anything like the N word , as a very small example, then they get a beat down. Can’t have it both ways in almost everything. Done with this. Soft society and social media is ruining many , in many areas.

No, intent doesn't matter. There are words you don't use. The n-word is one of them. If that bothers you, it says a lot more about you than it does society as a whole.

Again, you can't just start using the n-word and say "since I wasn't using it to talk about a black person, it's not wrong". Yes it is. Can you paint a swastika on the outside of your house and say you just like the way it looks and you're not supporting nazis? Of course not. Because that's not how it works.

I seriously can't understand why you're trying to make it ok for people to use that word. It's just dumb.

No, intent doesn't matter. There are words you don't use. The n-word is one of them. If that bothers you, it says a lot more about you than it does society as a whole.

Again, you can't just start using the n-word and say "since I wasn't using it to talk about a black person, it's not wrong". Yes it is. Can you paint a swastika on the outside of your house and say you just like the way it looks and you're not supporting nazis? Of course not. Because that's not how it works.

I seriously can't understand why you're trying to make it ok for people to use that word. It's just dumb.
Lol. You'll be ok buttercup. Bad words can't hurt you.

No. There are plenty of other reasons that make you a bad person.
So the answer to my question is "no". We can agree this could have been handled in other ways. the end of it should be the songs do not get played. Over.

Amen. 100%

Unfortunately, radio, tv, movies and the entertainment business disagrees with you as the word is used regularly in acting, songs and even in speeches, as Obama did and was defended in his use of it.

That's really not that bad. He was quoting the songs after all. Sometimes people try really hard to be outraged about something.
and then base it on their emotion and how they feel about the response. I wish people would press pause before responding to everything, especially on social media.

Meanwhile Roger Goodell has approved of the Snoop Dog and friends for a halftime Super Bowl performance featuring some lyrics ( using the same word) that are disrespectful to their own race while demeaning law enforcement and encouraging violence against them ! Unbelievable...

That is what the kids like nowadays. All they play is Gunna, Lil Durk, Pooh Shiesty and Lil Baby. I am not saying they should warm up to gospel music, but there must be some sort of medium, man. You're grandma does not need to come to a game and hear about "pullin up on thots and killin opps." In part, the Super is right.