Should the NBA have fewer teams?

• Yes - it's time to contract

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No - it's just right

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Absolutely not - there should be more teams

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Is it time for the NBA to get rid of a few teams to increase competitive balance?

No but they need a hard cap. The ability for teams to pay players on their own roster above the cap and pay luxury tax allows for teams like GS or Miami with Wade, LeBron and Bosh. The small market teams have no chance in the current NBA because players want to be in big markets. Anthony Davis just requested a trade, apparently wants to go to LA. I'd bet he'd be OK with Boston also.

I thought he may like Boston as well but with Rich Paul as his new agent, i think he will be a Laker. I saw ESPN was saying Paul will "leak" it will only be a 1 yr rental if they trade for him (other than LA).

Why in the heck would the NBA decrease teams? The overall talent level of pro basketball has never been higher. Colleges are consistently producing more and more pro ready players each year.

Now, the trick is to get the right guys on the team who are willing to play together and win. For alot of guys in the NBA, the "win" is getting a max contract, they can care less about winning. I know that's hard to say, but it's the truth.

The NBA needs to find a way to somehow keep star players from moving so much.

The Players will take care of this

With star players manipulating the league and forming superteams, the small market cities and their fanbase's will suffer.People will lose interest.5/6 teams will be in the mix to win anything.The current group of money grabbers seeking the big city and bright lights of Boston,NY.,LA, will kill the golden goose.The current group led by LeFruad is undoing what Bird and Magic built in the late 70's and 80's.When I was younger the Finals were on tape delay.These grubbers are not going to leave the health of the game for future generations as good as they found it.Is this greed? Or progress?

With star players manipulating the league and forming superteams, the small market cities and their fanbase's will suffer.People will lose interest.5/6 teams will be in the mix to win anything.The current group of money grabbers seeking the big city and bright lights of Boston,NY.,LA, will kill the golden goose.The current group led by LeFruad is undoing what Bird and Magic built in the late 70's and 80's.When I was younger the Finals were on tape delay.These grubbers are not going to leave the health of the game for future generations as good as they found it.Is this greed? Or progress?

It's always been that way. Since the merger in 1977 (42 seasons, not counting this year), 81% of the Finals were won by 7 teams.

Anywhere between zero teams and none would be OK with me. I'm not sure why, but the NBA has become unwatchable for me. I used to love it: Dr. J, the Magic-Bird rivalry, Kareem, Pistol Pete, Dave Cowens, The Bad Boy Pistons, Chocolate Thunder, Tiny, The Iceman, etc. It's now my least favorite major sport or league, by far. I'll tune in the Playoff Finals for a bit...maybe.

I don't know about contraction, but they need a hard cap. I wouldn't be too shocked if it happens in the foreseeable future.

Somewhat related, I'd argue that the NBA is currently a way over-valued media property. ESPN paid a king's ransom for their current deal. With the way ESPN has been trending, on the league's next round of media rights deals I could see revenues tapering off if not declining. The perception of "team stacking" certainly can't be helping. The players and their agents IMO may be damaging their own golden goose in situations such as this one with Anthony Davis.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't know about contraction, but they need a hard cap. I wouldn't be too shocked if it happens in the foreseeable future.

Somewhat related, I'd argue that the NBA is currently a way over-valued media property. ESPN paid a king's ransom for their current deal. With the way ESPN has been trending, on the league's next round of media rights deals I could see revenues tapering off if not declining. The perception of "team stacking" certainly can't be helping. The players and their agents IMO may be damaging their own golden goose in situations such as this one with Anthony Davis.

A hard cap would go a long way into making more parity, no doubt about that, but is that what the league wants?

I totally agree. The league has given the players far too much power and they will end up crashing the car.

What incentive do small market fans have to cheer and support a team that will lose their star players for less money to play in a large market or with their friends?

A hard cap would go a long way into making more parity, no doubt about that, but is that what the league wants?
I doubt it's what they want. At least not until a decisive majority of owners kicks and screams for it.

The league has done well for a long time with only having maybe a handful of legitimate contenders. We'll see what happens, but I imagine that sooner or later small market fans will stop caring. The way things are trending, good front office management and coaching are lessening in importance. What matters is if the stars and their agents want to be in your market. In terms of correlating success with running a good organization, it's becoming just about the polar opposite of the NFL.