Should individuals be fired because of their race or gender?

You will be fired if you don’t bow to the spirit of the age and if you don’t recognize your white and or cisgender privilege.

You will be fired if you don’t bow to the spirit of the age and if you don’t recognize your white and or cisgender privilege.

I brought this up after reading this article.

This got me wondering how they plan on getting to that goal and if it is ok for one organization and or line of work can/should it be applied everywhere.

A quick look at their numbers and it looks like they would need to eliminate 14,000 plus undesirable individuals.

This got me wondering how they plan on getting to that goal and if it is ok for one organization and or line of work can/should it be applied everywhere.

Good stuff. Let's talk about the first part of your question, irrespective of the morality or rightness of them doing so.

The EEOC requires employers to annually look at the racial demographic profile and compare that the demographic of that local region. For a large company with several locations in different metropolitan areas, they may have widely differing demographics in those areas.. But if they have a lower percentage in one racial category than the local population, here is the EEOC guideline for doing it without violating EEO laws:

"Homogeneous recruitment sources - Employers should attempt to recruit from racially diverse sources in order to obtain a racially diverse applicant pool. For example, if the employer's primary recruitment source is a college that has few African American students, the employer should adopt other recruitment strategies, such as also recruiting at predominantly African American colleges, to ensure that its applicant pool reflects the diversity of the qualified labor force."

In other words, they can target a demographic by adding recruitment events where those demographics are, as long as they also recruit in common areas that all demographics would come into contact with the message (local newspaper, Facebook targeted ad, etc)

The goal of having 50% women - not much controversy there. Roughly 50.5% of the population is women, so it you can have a qualified workforce with 50% women, you will be cheered where ever you go.

50% white, 50% of color - may be problematic. Whites in the US are 76% of the population (60% if you must mean whites who have Hispanic heritage); so deliberately striving to go below that theoretically goes against your goal. But they would probably be cheered by U.S. officials if they did.

But here's the thing: it is VERY hard to make significant changes in workforce makeup by recruiting (at least that would meet these goals), no matter how hard you try. So as long as Universal makes a good faith effort and follows EEOC's recommendations, they won't be "punished" if they never reach those 50-50 goals.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/...bout-race-and-color-discrimination-employment

Last edited:
Who cares about the color of their skin? Employers are having trouble with just people showing up ON TIME and DO THEIR JOB. But these days, that's hard to find.

Reactions: y2h
Part of the article said they are currently 26.5% diverse. I took that as meaning they employ 73.5% White Males in their global workforce of 62,000 people or 45,570 White Males.

That means without adding any headcount just to get to the 50/50 male/female split they would need to get rid of 45,570-31,000= 14,570 White Males just to get the correct mix of the sexes. Then to reach their other goal of 50/50 white/people of color mix they would have to get rid of a white male for every white female.

So well over 15K and probably closer to 30K individuals who we know nothing about when it comes to work performance or the household they contribute to would need to be let go because of something that they have no control over.

Can the white male push out women and minorities in professions like teaching, nursing, HR management where they are under represented or is the goal just to punish and not make equal?

It seems to me this goal has the effect of rewarding one individual while punishing the other all based on something out of their control. What happens to the the wife, daughter, mother, grandmother and or biracial family members who could be relying on that income? Doesn't that have a potential negative impact on those groups this goal is aiming to reward?

Last edited:
I brought this up after reading this article.

A quick look at their numbers and it looks like they would need to eliminate 14,000 plus undesirable individuals.

Makes you wonder if half of the news team will be conservative, how diverse will they truly be? Bunch of different colored nut-jobs is still pretty monolithic.

Is all EEOC requires is the attempt. Most places "attempt" to do this now but cannot due to a lack of qualified individuals. When they do find those qualified they have to prove that they were not AS qualified as their other applicants.

People of color have a lot of opportunities.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t a fair and diversified work force reflect demographic percentages?
No.

Ideally it would, but in reality no. I was surprised to read a couple weeks ago that inside of our urban heavily black schools in Ohio only 4% of teachers are black. To properly reflect the community you would need over 90 % to be black.

Of course not..... but I believe if you have a privately owned business (That is no Government Assistance) you have the right to hire and fire who you want for any reason..... I also have the right not to visit that store or do business with that establishment.

No.

Ideally it would, but in reality no. I was surprised to read a couple weeks ago that inside of our urban heavily black schools in Ohio only 4% of teachers are black. To properly reflect the community you would need over 90 % to be black.
White privilege takes up all the teaching jobs.....