Shot Clock Discussion

Lol - a refs job is sooooo important in a refs eyes. There is, without a doubt, a complex with refs about how important they think they are.

The best refs are mostly invisible, don’t have egos, and certainly don’t have to constantly tell you how important they are.

Ref boy - instant credibility in his own eyes. It’s the like the cop that all of a sudden gets real brave when he gets that gun.

There is without a doubt a group of refs that are very good - the rest kind of suck. And stop talking about the “assigner” - no one cares. I promise you, non refs don’t have to hear about your “assigner” every 10 seconds. That must be in the training manual too. So weird.

Lol - a refs job is sooooo important in a refs eyes. There is, without a doubt, a complex with refs about how important they think they are.

The best refs are mostly invisible, don’t have egos, and certainly don’t have to constantly tell you how important they are.

Ref boy - instant credibility in his own eyes. It’s the like the cop that all of a sudden gets real brave when he gets that gun.

There is without a doubt a group of refs that are very good - the rest kind of suck. And stop talking about the “assigner” - no one cares. I promise you, non refs don’t have to hear about your “assigner” every 10 seconds. That must be in the training manual too. So weird.
^^^^

The type of post that got his lying backside just about banned from his high school (depends on what day you ask him if he really went there) forum.

Another thread "derailed by trey"

Stand by for the babe in the woods defense.

I tell the truth. Sometimes people can’t handle it.

Coaches are most to blame for ruining high school basketball, and refs like to think they’re really important when they don’t realize they’re just a necessary prop.

Oh, and they love to talk about assigners. Every 10 seconds - and they always work on their “craft”

^^^^

The type of post that got his lying backside just about banned from his high school (depends on what day you ask him if he really went there) forum.

Another thread "derailed by trey"

Stand by for the babe in the woods defense.
Not sure what he's saying because I hit ignore on this fool a long time ago. Best move in this forum I ever made. And no Arch, I'm not going to peek when you respond to this post. lol

I say what everyone knows is happening but won’t say.

put me on ignore I don’t care. Just another notch in my belt.

Coaches will do what they have to do to win. Sometimes ugly, but basketball is about matchups. GCL speaks for itself. Great league and great tradition !

Fun comes from winning. Controlling tempo is a huge factor in winning, and I’m not talking about holding the ball, although that one aspect.
Yeah I wouldn't say actually holding the ball is an issue as much as simply taking the air out of it is. Coaches aren't necessarily ruining the game, just dominating it through strategy. I have no problem with this to a point, but we've seemed to have crossed that point. Pace of the game is gone and players are more worried about running plays than putting the ball in the basket, making plays.

Guys these are 14-18 year olds who do an awesome job on Friday nights. It's cool to see how widespread the spread no-huddle has became and you're seeing it executed pretty darn well. But then you go to basketball and it's like watching something out of the 1960's. Enough of the Norman Dale four passes a possession stuff, play the damn game

Yeah I wouldn't say actually holding the ball is an issue as much as simply taking the air out of it is. Coaches aren't necessarily ruining the game, just dominating it through strategy. I have no problem with this to a point, but we've seemed to have crossed that point. Pace of the game is gone and players are more worried about running plays than putting the ball in the basket, making plays.

Guys these are 14-18 year olds who do an awesome job on Friday nights. It's cool to see how widespread the spread no-huddle has became and you're seeing it executed pretty darn well. But then you go to basketball and it's like watching something out of the 1960's. Enough of the Norman Dale four passes a possession stuff, play the damn game
You’re entitled to your opinion, but I don’t find it boring at all. I get no pleasure out of a game where you race down the floor and shoot it as quickly as possible. It’s like going to an open gym. What either one of us thinks doesn’t really matter. The game isn’t played in high school for our entertainment. It’s about teaching hard work, team work, responsibility, goal setting, etc. That’s why team sports are part of the educational system.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I don’t find it boring at all. I get no pleasure out of a game where you race down the floor and shoot it as quickly as possible. It’s like going to an open gym. What either one of us thinks doesn’t really matter. The game isn’t played in high school for our entertainment. It’s about teaching hard work, team work, responsibility, goal setting, etc. That’s why team sports are part of the educational system.
Exactly. These idiots don’t understand !

Rent free - if I was so wrong and out of touch, you wouldn’t even pay attention. But you can’t help yourself.

Rent

Free
Right…. You keep believing that.

I actually pity someone like you that spends their time lying on a message board in order to give their life some semblance of importance.

Aren’t you due for another name change and “long time lurker, first time poster” post on here?

Last edited:
I enjoy the up-tempo game. I like pressure defense and creating turnovers. I do not, however, prescribe to rushing down the court and throwing up the quickest shot possible. You can play a disciplined up-tempo game. Still, I am against the shot clock. First, I really don't see it having a major impact because it will be sufficiently long enough that it really won't effect too many teams IMO. Even so, I think teams should be able to play and face multiple styles of play. If a team tries to slow down a game on the Irish, it becomes an interesting chess match to see which team can impose its will on the other. And if it becomes a "slow down" game, then each possession becomes more important if for no other reason than there are fewer chances to score. So, can the "up-tempo" team adjust to a more structured style of play? Can the "slow-down" team run its disciplined offense against a pressure defense? Can one team take away the fast break from the other? Can one team draw the other out of its packed in zone and open up the court? I hope high school basketball doesn't legislate these differing styles out of existence. As it stands, I do not believe that the current iteration of the shot clock being contemplated will do that. Still, to me, it's a bit of overkill which I could live without.

Last edited:
Right…. You keep believing that.

I actually pity someone like you that spends their time lying on a message board in order to give their life some semblance of importance.

Aren’t you due for another name change and “long time lurker, first time poster” post on here?
Well I’m glad I got your pity - you got me all figured out thankfully.

And you never know what 2022 might bring.

A shot clock doesn’t mean you “race down the floor and shoot it as quickly as possible”. Again, a shot clock is about PACE - pace can be slow or fast.

The people that continue to say it’s nothing but shooting alot and scoring more don’t really understand the issue.

A shot clock doesn’t mean you “race down the floor and shoot it as quickly as possible”. Again, a shot clock is about PACE - pace can be slow or fast.

The people that continue to say it’s nothing but shooting alot and scoring more don’t really understand the issue.
You’re telling me. Lol. I am against the shot clock, first and foremost, because it gives an advantage to the more talented team. Speeding the tempo up helps the team that recruits players from other schools. To me, it’s just another step towards AAU ball.

A shot clock provides a consistent tempo and pace, it doesn’t necessarily speed it up. I don’t know why people keep saying that.

You can still play a slow down game with a shot clock.

A shot clock provides a consistent tempo and pace, it doesn’t necessarily speed it up. I don’t know why people keep saying that.

Who cares? You will still find reasons to complain with or without a shot clock and pretend like you can do a better job coaching or officiating. If you can – there is nothing stopping you from proving it.

Then stop advocating for no clock based on flawed reasoning.
Curious what your definition of “flawed reasoning” is (I have a feeling it will be “any reasoning that disagrees with mine”) and also challenge you to quote one post of mine that advocates for no shot clock.

But shouldn't pace and tempo be decided by the players and not arbitrarily by a shot clock? Isn't it fair to allow a coach to game plan a way to disrupt the tempo of the opposing team by slowing the game down?

But shouldn't pace and tempo be decided by the players and not arbitrarily by a shot clock? Isn't it fair to allow a coach to game plan a way to disrupt the tempo of the opposing team by slowing the game down?
Sure, if the coach does that in a reasonable and competitive way. As I’ve said, if it wasn’t for coaches making the game unbearable, we wouldn’t be here at all. There would be no need for the debate as a shot clock wouldn’t be necessary.

Coaches have caused this, not the “players that don’t work hard enough on their game.” There would be ZERO kids who would employ that way of playing the game if they had a choice. ZERO.

Curious what your definition of “flawed reasoning” is (I have a feeling it will be “any reasoning that disagrees with mine”) and also challenge you to quote one post of mine that advocates for no shot clock.
:ROFLMAO: Too stupid to know that you have advocated for a clock on here.

That's what happens when you lump everyone under one blanket statement like he does.... "officials are never wrong".. even though not one official on here has ever claimed that they are never wrong.

me and a whole bunch of other people (see Eder forum)

A new username for sure... ;)

If the clock is implemented in 2022..... I'll officiate it, teach it, train people on it to the letter of the rule.

I just think it's a poor choice for High School
Yet can’t seem to let go that I think it’s a great choice for high school. Aren’t you doing the exact same thing?

My logic and reasoning for wanting it is sound. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, but it’s a common reason for implementing the shot clock. Still not sure why it gets you going.

You can’t separate the discussion from your dislike of me - that’s on you.

Yet can’t seem to let go that I think it’s a great choice for high school. Aren’t you doing the exact same thing?

My logic and reasoning for wanting it is sound. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, but it’s a common reason for implementing the shot clock. Still not sure why it gets you going.

You can’t separate the discussion from your dislike of me - that’s on you.
Go back in this thread....

I haven't conversed based on your opinion...... I belted you on this silly BS that you spew about officials and coaches when you get challenged. It's your MO...... that's all you have.... that's all you've ever had under every screen name.

When you pull that crap on the Elder forum, they rename the thread in your honor.......

How about changing your ways, be a man, and be honest for once in your life? (I personally don't think you have the ability to do so)

You think I’m lying about my stance on the shot clock, refs, and coaches just to get a reaction?

I mean, you’re free to disagree, but I’m lying?

Sure, if the coach does that in a reasonable and competitive way. As I’ve said, if it wasn’t for coaches making the game unbearable, we wouldn’t be here at all. There would be no need for the debate as a shot clock wouldn’t be necessary.

Coaches have caused this, not the “players that don’t work hard enough on their game.” There would be ZERO kids who would employ that way of playing the game if they had a choice. ZERO.
Completely untrue. Kids want to win. You remind me of a lifelong recreational player. You know, you played for fun. Did you play on a competitive level ever? You don’t get the lessons team sports teaches playing for fun. Again, at the competitive level, fun comes from competing to win.

Completely untrue. Kids want to win. You remind me of a lifelong recreational player. You know, you played for fun. Did you play on a competitive level ever? You don’t get the lessons team sports teaches playing for fun. Again, at the competitive level, fun comes from competing to win.
Where did I say they didn’t want to win? Because they prefer to play a more open style means they want to win less? One has nothing to do with the other.

Another complete leap in logic attributed to me that I never said.

Where did I say they didn’t want to win? Because they prefer to play a more open style means they want to win less? One has nothing to do with the other.

Another complete leap in logic attributed to me that I never said.
I have no history with whatsoever. I just think you’re way off here.