Shooting at AAU tourney

Just read that it was about his son's playing time.

Witnesses at the tournament tell 13abc the father of a player who was upset about his child’s amount of playing time shot a coach in a parking lot dispute.

I've been at this facility a couple times the last couple of months for volleyball. Figured it had to be basketball/baseball/softball/soccer related. Volleyball is the most well-mannered sport that I've seen.

During basketball game, parent of a player in a 6th grade game was upset about his kid's playing time and got into it with the coach. Official(s) stopped the game and got security involved. The parent was kicked out of the facility. Then evidently after the game, the parent got a gun from his car and shot the coach in the parking lot.

During basketball game, parent of a player in a 6th grade game was upset about his kid's playing time and got into it with the coach. Official(s) stopped the game and got security involved. The parent was kicked out of the facility. Then evidently after the game, the parent got a gun from his car and shot the coach in the parking lot.
That is just insane. I understand being frustrated by something and wanting to talk to the coach. The 24 hour rule is still the best rule. So many bad conversations that embarrass the kid are avoided that way.

That is just insane. I understand being frustrated by something and wanting to talk to the coach. The 24 hour rule is still the best rule. So many bad conversations that embarrass the kid are avoided that way.
Someone who shoots a coach isn't going to bother with a 24hr rule.

Honestly, I don't know why people continue to act surprised that stuff like this happens.
Right, man. I carry and If I had to carry, to a dang organized basketball tourney, I just won’t go. What’s the safer alternative though for the kids if there is one?

Fights inside HS/Colleges are rare....

Fights inside AAU/Travel Basketball events are more common because the organizers won't support officials when they eject unruly coaches, fans, or parents.

Oh ok, thought the discussion was over a Shooting in a parking lot.

Honestly, I don't know why people continue to act surprised that stuff like this happens.
Sadly, I completely agree with this comment. Just look at the weekend within our state and country. I have seen a fair share of unreal arguments / disputes on soccer fields, baseball diamonds and basketball courts within the last five years. Sad state of affairs...

Just curious, whats the difference between a Shooting in a Sports Facility parking lot or a HS/College parking lot?
The point is AAU is and will continue to be out of control and this incident is totally AAU related.

Side note to basketball parents : Summer track and summer baseball still exists.........just a thought!

The point is AAU is and will continue to be out of control and this incident is totally AAU related.

Side note to basketball parents : Summer track and summer baseball still exists.........just a thought!
It is big ???for some and many parents are blind keep reaching into their pockets

I have officiated a number of boys and girls summer events. I don't officiated the boys events anymore as they aren't enjoyable to work. People - coaches and parents - take them way too seriously. Teams pay to play and the people who run the tournaments obviously don't back officials. On the other hand, the girls tournaments I have worked were much more enjoyable. The coaches and parents were there simply to support their kids and didn't treat it like the NCAA Finals. The only coach I had problems with was immediately dealt with by his wife before I or tournament officials had to do anything.

Just read that it was about his son's playing time.

Witnesses at the tournament tell 13abc the father of a player who was upset about his child’s amount of playing time shot a coach in a parking lot dispute.

I've been at this facility a couple times the last couple of months for volleyball. Figured it had to be basketball/baseball/softball/soccer related. Volleyball is the most well-mannered sport that I've seen.
I was there once. It was a big volleyball event. Everyone was as nice as can be. Went out to dinner afterward with the players and parents of one of the teams and everyone was happy as could be.

I feel it's totally out of hand. I see it more and more where every parent believes their kid is headed towards a scholarship. They jump AAU teams AND even HS teams to make sure their kid is getting the looks THEY feel he/she deserves....regardless of talent. One recently successful HS girls basketball team that I'm familiar with (private) had inside bickering all season (brought on by parents) where the team was actually happy to see the seniors graduate. Parents need to realize that scholarships are few and far between.....I feel parents believe that AAU Is a fast track to these scholarships. This is putting officials in a bad spot right off the bat.

I have officiated a number of boys and girls summer events. I don't officiated the boys events anymore as they aren't enjoyable to work. People - coaches and parents - take them way too seriously. Teams pay to play and the people who run the tournaments obviously don't back officials. On the other hand, the girls tournaments I have worked were much more enjoyable. The coaches and parents were there simply to support their kids and didn't treat it like the NCAA Finals. The only coach I had problems with was immediately dealt with by his wife before I or tournament officials had to do anything.
The girls tourneys aren't immune to the behavior.

The article and video clip I posted above was from a girls tourney in Indianapolis last weekend.

This one is making it's way across officiating groups nationally.....

1618844894799.png