Serena Clark goes to Cuba

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Serena Clark is going to Cuba this weekend on the NSAF team to represent the selected prep athletes from all over the USA. Wow! What an honor

According to Cuban media Clark ran 11.68 in the 100 yesterday. Waiting for official results to post for the wind reading.

I suspect Coach Heath went to MSU with Kaylyn. I'm pretty he told one of his coaches to go to Havana with serena. I will find out some details soon.

If you look at the results, every page in the upper right corner has the logo of FCA which in English is The Cuban Athletics Federation or in Spanish Federación Cubana de Atletismo) and is the governing body for the sport of athletics in Cuba. FCA is a member in good standing with the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) . Our governing body USATF was first called TAC (The Athletics Congress). Since the FCA logo is on the results, it gives them legitimacy in my mind. For this reason, I think we can accept the results as being done by FAT.

Last edited:
Excellent run for young Ms. Clark. New Cincinnati area record.

Does Lakota East have another one of her waiting in the wings that no one's heard about? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have no doubt that results were FAT. I've done a lot of research going back into the 1980s on junior meets in the Caribbean and found them to be in FAT.

Excellent run for young Ms. Clark. New Cincinnati area record.

Not so fast, JAVMAN, I believe that one of the criteria to count as a record is that it has to be done in a high school only race. This is what I am focusing on now. Coach Heath said he was concerned that she would get a legal wind reading since the stadium is so close to the ocean. The timing and the wind reading are not problems, only the determination that the participants were high school age students only. The investigation is ongoing. It's get interesting to ponder what will happen at the NBON when Kaylyn will compete against her for probably the last time in high school.

Last edited:
Not so fast, JAVMAN, I believe that one of the criteria to count as a record is that it has to be done in a high school only race.

I don't see that anywhere in your "rules", and if it were you'd have to pull a few of the records on your list, starting with Doug Bockenstette's 5K record. Notably it would exclude from consideration any record set at USATF/IAAF Juniors.

I don't see that anywhere in your "rules", and if it were you'd have to pull a few of the records on your list, starting with Doug Bockenstette's 5K record. Notably it would exclude from consideration any record set at USATF/IAAF Juniors.

I know that T&F News does keep statistics for marks made in HS-only competitions where that differs from HS athlete bests, which is anything made by a HS competitor (regardless of affiliation or lack of affiliation with a school) up thru August 31 of their HS senior year, assuming they haven't gone pro or officially enrolled in college.

Lancermania, I wasn't aware SWOTCCCA had instituted a HS competition only rule for marks? My lists are as T&F News' lists. I don't discriminate whether made in against high schoolers or against others as well.

If I recall correctly, there was a kid who graduated from Walnut Hills. I think his name was Tom Walsh who got DQed at the National Junior Olympics for being in college while running in the Young Men's Division (17-18 years old). He started college at age 17.

If I recall correctly, there was a kid who graduated from Walnut Hills. I think his name was Tom Walsh who got DQed at the National Junior Olympics for being in college while running in the Young Men's Division (17-18 years old). He started college at age 17.

That's perfectly understandable. Once a kid starts college or goes pro, they're no longer eligible for HS lists. With the rash of top-notch HS record setters that have gone pro in recent years, their marks were no longer eligible for any HS lists.

If my memory serves me correctly, you used to be involved in the city records before the coaches started their web site, so I will yield to your expertise and cease any investigation about who ran in the meet. We do know that all the NSAF selected team were juniors from 18 different high schools in the USA. We also know that certain officials from the US went to Cuba to meet with officials from the FCA of Cuba to adopt the guidelines for this International Prep meet as it is called.

That's perfectly understandable. Once a kid starts college or goes pro, they're no longer eligible for HS lists.

Yeah but the situation lancermania describes is a kid being dq'd from a MEET because he is in college. Which makes zero sense, since the junior olympics are age-based.

OVTC told me it wasn't Walsh nor was it JO. It happened in the 1960s and it was Junior Champs not Junior Olympics

OVTC told me it wasn't Walsh nor was it JO. It happened in the 1960s and it was Junior Champs not Junior Olympics

Well, this was well before I was ever involved in the sport, and may have been before I was even born! :laugh: Rules have changed over the years, for sure. Jesse Owens was 19 years, 8 months old when he won the 1933 State Titles for East Tech, and 19 years, 9 months old when he set his famed 9.4/20.7 at the Chicago Interscholastic meet. I know of a kid from Toledo Scott who was a multiple state champion and participated in the State meet 5 times (1914-1918). Rules regarding eligibility have certainly changed over the years.