Season-Opening Tournament

LHS07

This weekend, the season officially gets under way with the St Charles Classic at Pickerington North HS. Teams currently confirmed to play are:
St. Charles
Pickerington Central
Thomas Worthington
Worthington Kilbourne
Dublin Jerome
Akron Hoban
Dublin Coffman
Archbishop Moeller
Dublin Scioto
Delaware Hayes
Upper Arlington
Westerville North
Lakota East
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington North
Elder
Trinity 1 (KY)
Trinity 2 (KY)
Seneca Valley (PA)
LaSalle
Gahanna

How do you think the tourney will turn out? (After pool play Friday, the top 8 teams qualify for the Gold bracket Saturday).

Since we dont know the pools yet, here are my top 8 teams who I think will make the Gold bracket: Kilbourne, Moeller, Elder, Trinity, Seneca Valley, La Salle, St Charles, Lakota East. Then the 3 GCL schools plus Kilbourne advancing to the semis, and Moeller over Elder in the finals.

i know that its possible to make predictions based on who returns to the team and how the team did last year, but i think it is hard to make a prediction without actually having played any games... this is why we have a tournament to open the season... this is kinda like the pre-season NIT in NCAA basketball... Butler won that and look where they are now, in the Sweet Sixteen... so i obstain from making any predictions

good lineup of teams though

gold . . . maybe?

LHS07, that "gold" sounds like how it'll go down.

you never know how pools can turn out too. u might get something stupid where moeller and elder will have to play each other in a semi.

id think pickerington north would make gold over st.charles and lakota east.
st.charles over lakota east though (things might go well for st.chucks since it's there tourney -- thats how it works)

gold: moeller, elder, kilbourne, lasalle, secena valley, pickerington north, trinity, st.charles

semi's: moeller, elder, kilbourne, lasalle
final: moeller, elder (or) moeller, kilbourne (or) moeller, lasalle

Well, I just got word from my coach that we (La Salle) are in a pool with Kilbourne AND Seneca Valley (as well as Delaware Hayes), so it will be interesting to see who comes out of our pool.

Wow... makes u wonder what some of the other pools look like when u got 3 out of the top 8 in one pool, and theres 4 other pools... sounds like lasalle, kilbourne, and seneca valley all got a little shafted

and in terms of kilbourne competing as well as they did last year.... with all the talent they had last year, kilborne only got into the silver bracket of this tourney after losing to gahanna in their pool...

i dont want to make to early of a prediction but i believe moeller has a great shot of winning it all this year. the south has always been dominant, i know this having played for darby and losing to moe 2 years in a row in the final 4 and 8. i think they are very good and should be the champions. kilbourne will not be strong enough to make a run. they have no middles, ochletree and johnson arnt playin and barry is young

clayton is very good, watching him mature in club season was huge, but as proven by kevin last year, it takes six to win. kilbourne needs at least one more year

especially since next year they should return everyone but jekeli... underline should... they were supposed to return a lot more people this year than they actually did

and in terms of kilbourne competing as well as they did last year.... with all the talent they had last year, kilborne only got into the silver bracket of this tourney after losing to gahanna in their pool...

And by "all the talent" you mean Moore and Lookabaugh, correct?

Wow... makes u wonder what some of the other pools look like when u got 3 out of the top 8 in one pool, and theres 4 other pools... sounds like lasalle, kilbourne, and seneca valley all got a little shafted

Just a guess... It was probably pretty evident that Moeller and Elder would take top spot in their pools, and St. Charles probably miraculously ended up in an easy pool... They didn't want to stick Lasalle, kilbourne, or seneca valley against moeller or elder and let them get knocked out of gold and they didn't want to match their own st charles team up against teams that could knock them out... That's just what it sounds like to me...

the pools

kilbourne isn't "in" lasalle's pool. they're in a pool of 3 and are playing lasalle because they're in a pool of 3 too. its wierd.

david scheaf is a sweet setter for kilbourne and has improved a lot now that they're not running a 5-2.

outsides jon jekeli and clayton straker carry the team and john barry can make the play when it counts.

they've had a lot of injuries/illness and its only the second week of the season so we'll see how it all goes down.

as for middles sam johnson and jake schick are sophomores. they're pretty decent and will probally improve a lot over the season. they have a lot to prove filling the shoes of j'lookabaugh. johnson is playing with a bad rotater-cuff and schick tore cartlidge on his miniscus at the ovr regional (matchpoint).

st. charles is in kilbourne's pool by the way. them and some toledo school. then teams from that pool play an extra game from lasalle's pool because there's only 3 from each of the 2 pools.

that makes more sense... yes, ohiovball, by all the talent i basically mean lookabaugh and moore, but ocheltree and johnson were solid as well

i feel bad for kilbournes seniors, it is going to be a tough season. losing the seniors from last year, no j johnson, no ocheltree, its a very young team. but next year or the year after everyone better watch out, they will be good

Kilbourne has a great coach and program, but they will not be better than Pickerinton North. For any of you East guys talking them (WK) up, it is going to be embarrassing for the region if they don't make gold. And with Darby being the best in the East for the last several years, not sure why anyone would be thinking anything different.

bvball-
From the WK games I saw last season, Johnson was sitting on the bench. Ochletree was solid, I agree...but not during the St. Charles tournament. He was far too inexperienced.

tru-
Good point about Kilbourne making gold with all the hype fifa has been posting. Don't agree with Darby being the best the last several years. Definitely the last 2, but anything beyond that is arguable.

i agree ohiovball99, the last 2 years we (darby) was very good. my freshman year kilbourne beat us in the regional semis in 5, they had a very good team. my 8th grade year we made the final four also, but kilbourne has gone to states the last 4 or 5 years straight i believe. id give the edge to kilbourne

After pool play here is the gold bracket:

1 Moeller
8 ???

4 Seneca Valley
5 ???

3 St Charles
6 Lakota East

2 Elder
7 La Salle

tourney, other things

yeah . . . you're right ohiovBall99 -- embarassing. there's a lot kilbourne has to work on. the coaching at kilbourne is amazing so we'll see how everything goes. im not saying anything . . . .

surprised about the elder upset.
this year i think the east region is all up for grabs. some front runners.

1. Archbishop Moeller
2. St.Xavier
3. St.Edwards
4. LaSalle
5. Cincinnati Elder
6. Mt.Vernon
7. Centerville
8. Hilliard Darby
9. Lakota East
10. St. Charles