Schools that field a Freshmen team?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
It really is sad that participation is down in so many sports. Too many girls are being taught that playing at the highest level early on is the only thing that matters. We should be making more of an effort to get more girls playing as they enter HS without worrying whether they can compete for a varsity spot at some point.

BASESWIMPARENT

So my second daughter was a swimmer and decent club softball catcher. In her sophomore year, she goes out for the softball team (new school) and makes the JV. She is also a club swimmer and not a very good one but she loved the sport. The week after she makes the softball team, she reminds the coach that she has to swim in the A levels (the lowest) and maybe the AA (second lowest) level relays. This is very early in the season and she will not miss a game or scrimmage, just a few practices to finish her club obligation. The coach makes her make a choice. She can swim and get cut or she can miss her relays. They have this meeting with her without her parents and there were three coaches in the room and one her. Needless to say, she quit the team and finished her swimming obligation. She never tried out for softball again and this team made it the state finals with a very average catcher her senior year. She probably would have started her senior year (she was a good game caller and defensive catcher) and they might have won the state with her calling the game. (Probably not because they got run ruled in the finals but maybe.) She now plays club softball at OU. My point is that sometimes the high school coaches are forcing these kids to make a choice for no good reason and sometimes the choice is not their sport.

Last edited:

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
There are coaches that I know that are desperate for players and are willing to work around obstacles. Seems that all coaches should be willing to work with multisport athletes, especially when they are younger.

NewOldBlood

At my daughter's school, the biggest issue seems to be club soccer. The club soccer season seems to really start gearing up about the same time as school softball season. We have 4 or 5 girls who play or played summer softball, but don't play school ball because soccer is their primary sport and they can't make the schedules work. Even if the coach tried to work with them, they would miss so much it would be almost unfair to the other girls on the team.

SMARTY22

Participating for a “School Team” and “Club Team” at the same time (even if different Sports) is a Violation of OHSAA Rules?

Red14

Girls sports participation slows way down in high school. I went to a sectional basketball tournament, D4, and looking at a program, of the 7 teams, no one had more than 3 seniors, most had 2 or less. And that's at the small school level where there are few sports and fewer female athletes. I've said this for quite sometime. Girls "sweet spot" for sports is from about 12-15 years old. After that, only the elite kids play. Once girls hit 15-16ish, boys, work, social life gets more attractive than spending 4 months in the gym, especially if they don't play much. It's sad, but it's reality. I've seen this for over 30 years now.
And today, with a "club" sport for nearly every sport, you can be a one sport athlete, if you're willing to pay for it. Where this really hurts is these junior high age teams where 5-6 girls dominate all the sports teams, use up nearly all the playing time, then not play in high school and leave the school teams high and dry. You end up with kids who've not played much "learning" the game in high school.