School Logo History/Backstory

In 1937 Sebring McKinley student Billy Freed won a contest run by the school to come up with a mascot. His nomination of "Trojan" was selected and his prize was $2

It is unknown if the school used another mascot prior to this selection. The football program played their inaugural season in 1916

In 1937 Sebring McKinley student Billy Freed won a contest run by the school to come up with a mascot. His nomination of "Trojan" was selected and his prize was $2

It is unknown if the school used another mascot prior to this selection. The football program played their inaugural season in 1916

FWIW years ago in the course of doing research I do remember seeing game write-ups prior to 1937 where Sebring was referred to as "the Pottery team" or "the Pottery crew." I remember this because I always had to double check to make sure that the write up was not about E. Liverpool. These articles never actually called Sebring the Potters but I did see several that called them the Pottery team or crew with the word pottery capitalized.

FWIW years ago in the course of doing research I do remember seeing game write-ups prior to 1937 where Sebring was referred to as "the Pottery team" or "the Pottery crew." I remember this because I always had to double check to make sure that the write up was not about E. Liverpool. These articles never actually called Sebring the Potters but I did see several that called them the Pottery team or crew with the word pottery capitalized.
Thank you for the interesting note. I was always surprised Sebring did not use something to do with pottery. A 1 square mile village with 6 pottery plants around that time.

Northmont's mascot/color scheme (Thunderbolts - Green & White) is merely a result of the merger of Randolph High School (Bobcats - Green & White) and Phillipsburg High School (Thunderbolts - Maroon & Gold) ... kept the colors from one and the mascot from another. Don't know the original stories for either of the original schools

We still use the D for everything else, but I HATE the new helmets. Whole uniform really. The old ones were just so simple and clean.

Might help if we actually won with the new ones though.....
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the point of the current helmet logo? I get that the 'D' is more angular and modern, but the stripes through it? Almost looks like a Wildcats slash sort of thing.

Thank you for the interesting note. I was always surprised Sebring did not use something to do with pottery. A 1 square mile village with 6 pottery plants around that time.

I knew that Sebring had a history with the pottery industry, I can even remember seeing some dinner plates, etc. made there, but I did not realize it was that extensive. Thanks for the info.