School Logo History/Backstory

I didn't want to go back through the old posts, but Wapak-Wisconsin was brought up as well as Colerain-Louisville.

Didn't New Bremen get in some similar logo trouble back in the day with Ball State? It was the same "lined" cardinal logo, but Bremen's was red and yellow as opposed to red and white. I wish I could find a picture of it.

Also, Van Wert had some awesome logos/scripts back in the 80s/90s/2000s. They completely copied Washington State. When WSU had cursive COUGARS on the helmet, so did VW, when it was a "running" print, so did VW, but my favorite was the cougar head. Washington State's uses W S U (or maybe C) Van Wert's cougar head used the letters VWC. I used to really like those. I liked Defiance's old Block D with the bulldog jumping out

We still use the D for everything else, but I HATE the new helmets. Whole uniform really. The old ones were just so simple and clean.

Might help if we actually won with the new ones though.....

Lancaster High School has been known as the Golden Gales since the mid-1930s. Until that point, the teams went by the Golden Tornadoes, According to Dave Davis, a former LHS basketball coach, the name change came as a result of the receiving a new printing press. Due to the limitations of the column width, the full name wouldn't fit properly. One of the sports writers came up with Golden Gales and the name stuck. The unique name is not shared with anyone else in the state of Ohio.[8] The school and fans commonly shorten the name of the team by dropping the adjective and refer to the team as simply the "Gales" This is evident by the athletic website LancasterGales.com
23E11415-B217-46FC-A3A5-C41FE8A2447B.png

Lancaster High School has been known as the Golden Gales since the mid-1930s. Until that point, the teams went by the Golden Tornadoes, According to Dave Davis, a former LHS basketball coach, the name change came as a result of the receiving a new printing press. Due to the limitations of the column width, the full name wouldn't fit properly. One of the sports writers came up with Golden Gales and the name stuck. The unique name is not shared with anyone else in the state of Ohio.[8] The school and fans commonly shorten the name of the team by dropping the adjective and refer to the team as simply the "Gales" This is evident by the athletic website LancasterGales.comView attachment 13940
It also makes for one of the snazziest midfield logos in the state.

1611861286379.png

I didn't want to go back through the old posts, but Wapak-Wisconsin was brought up as well as Colerain-Louisville.

Didn't New Bremen get in some similar logo trouble back in the day with Ball State? It was the same "lined" cardinal logo, but Bremen's was red and yellow as opposed to red and white. I wish I could find a picture of it.

Also, Van Wert had some awesome logos/scripts back in the 80s/90s/2000s. They completely copied Washington State. When WSU had cursive COUGARS on the helmet, so did VW, when it was a "running" print, so did VW, but my favorite was the cougar head. Washington State's uses W S U (or maybe C) Van Wert's cougar head used the letters VWC. I used to really like those. I liked Defiance's old Block D with the bulldog jumping out
That Washington State logo lasted approximately one year in the mid 2000s before we had to stop using that on shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Basically just added a V within the traditional Washington State cougar head logo. Looked great, IMO.

Buckeye Valley is an especially frustrating one because of that far southwest pocket. The high school is north of Delaware, no reason why kids living along and south of US-42 on that side of the district should be attending BVHS. Jonathan Alder makes more sense for some, Olentangy better sense for others.

There's a massive area in Powell that sits in Buckeye Valley School District, with Olentangy Liberty HS in eye sight. There's also a big price difference for those neighborhoods (much less for the BV homes).

There's a massive area in Powell that sits in Buckeye Valley School District, with Olentangy Liberty HS in eye sight. There's also a big price difference for those neighborhoods (much less for the BV homes).
Right. It's 42south, and I believe those houses you're referring to are on Section Line Rd?

That Washington State logo lasted approximately one year in the mid 2000s before we had to stop using that on shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Basically just added a V within the traditional Washington State cougar head logo. Looked great, IMO.

That’s all the longer they used it? It felt like when I was in school, they had it for awhile.
I just remember a few teams on our schedule reminded me of college teams when going to school

VW-Washington State
Shawnee-Florida State(arrow on the helmet)
Bath-UCLA
Sidney-Iowa

Our ole SM logo hasn’t changed in like 50yrs though. I love it; simple and classic

That’s all the longer they used it? It felt like when I was in school, they had it for awhile.
I just remember a few teams on our schedule reminded me of college teams when going to school

VW-Washington State
Bath-UCLA
Sidney-Iowa

Our ole SM logo hasn’t changed in like 50yrs though. I love it; simple and classic
Yep. I remember because my parents bought clothes and then the next season we no longer had that logo on the clothes.

VW-Washington State
Bath-UCLA
Sidney-Iowa

That script Bath with the Columbia blue and gold just like UCLA was great.

That script Bath with the Columbia blue and gold just like UCLA was great.

It was a great look; even their jerseys had the same number script as UCLA. Just a clean look. Off topic, but I'm glad they and a bunch of other schools in the league still play in the gyms they played in 20+ years ago; all unique in their own right. St. Marys and Van Wert for example new gyms are just so sterile and cookie cutter.

It was a great look; even their jerseys had the same number script as UCLA. Just a clean look. Off topic, but I'm glad they and a bunch of other schools in the league still play in the gyms they played in 20+ years ago; all unique in their own right. St. Marys and Van Wert for example new gyms are just so sterile and cookie cutter.

I haven't even been to Defiance's new one. I've heard good things, but as much as the old one was a pain....I'm just not sure it can be the same. The stage and the crowd sitting on top of the action gave it some character.

I haven't even been to Defiance's new one. I've heard good things, but as much as the old one was a pain....I'm just not sure it can be the same. The stage and the crowd sitting on top of the action gave it some character.
Springfield Shawnee has 2 gyms. When I was young (<10) the girls played in the old gym and the boys played in the new gym. I always loved watching girls games because the crowd was part of the action. The distance from the sideline to the first row was less than 5 feet. Unfortunately, a parent brought a Title IX lawsuit and now all high school games take place in the new gym. Still think its a mistake because the girls team never comes close to filling the new gym and could keep the old gym reasonably full.

Know its off topic but since gyms were brought up....

With the start-up, I'm hearing the neighborhood school will be using the old gym for some games, instead of the field house. It's one with the balconies surrounding the floor. Wooden backboards. First balcony is the seating, second balcony is a banked running track. I would pay money to see a game in that gym.

Here’s a little History on a few of the Akron City High Schools. The vast majority of the info coming from a book titled “ A Century of High School Football in Akron, 1892-1999. Some from my Dad an avid Akron City Series football fan. Akron High played its 1st game in 1892, they had no mascot. It became Central High in 1911, when Akron South opened. They were not referred to as the Wildcats until 1926. In the early 1920’s a new high school was to be built in Firestone Park. 1 thought was to enlarge South Highs district and call the new school South. Then Harvey Firestone said he would build a state of the art school with Gym, Aquatic Center, and Football Stadium, if the school carried his name. At this time a large majority of the Akron School Board were members of the KKK. They did not like Firestone and passed a law that any new high school built had to named after a President. The new school, lacking much of what Firestone planned to include opened around 1926 as James A. Garfield. In 1928 this majority was voted out, the law dropped and eventually in 1963 Firestone High opened in Fairlawn. As Garfield hit the field, the newspapers dubbed them “The Presidents” or “Prexies” for short. They carried this name until 1959, when they became the Golden Rams. In 1916 North High opened and and early stories referred to them as The Eskimos, I could not locate any info on why and when they changed to The Vikings. The same with West High, who in a 1917 article were called the Westerners, I could not find why and when they became the Cowboys. My Dad, a 1935 grad of South High, said they were always the Cavaliers, but the name Big Blue started on campus and was then picked up by the newspapers. A 1925 article referred to East High as the Sunrisers, but by 1929 Orientals had been adopted. In 1929 in East Akron a school opened on Canton Rd. Called Springfield Center, with the same Red and Gray colors that East also wore. The school quickly went to Gold and White, then Orange and White. Fans not sure of the embattled schools name called them that Orange team and Orangemen. With another high school also on Canton Rd. called Springfield, within months Springfield Center became Ellet High School. From 1931 until 1953 the Buchtel Griffins and the West Cowboys both represented the city’s West side, until West closed it’s doors. This brought the Hower Buccaneers into the City Series, who had fielded teams since 1947. There was some great football played in Akron during it’s hey day as The Rubber City.

I had my dad's 1935 East high school class ring. Contrary to the belief the name ORIENTALS did NOT refer to the Asian people. It in fact was the ORIENT as represented on his ring with pyramids, tombs and camels....so why did the school board not delve into some history before changing the name ORIENTALS to be politically correct?? In my mind and of those thousands who graduated from Akron East high school, they will always be the East High school ORIENTALS!! ORIENTALS FOREVER Drag

I had my dad's 1935 East high school class ring. Contrary to the belief the name ORIENTALS did NOT refer to the Asian people. It in fact was the ORIENT as represented on his ring with pyramids, tombs and camels....so why did the school board not delve into some history before changing the name ORIENTALS to be politically correct?? In my mind and of those thousands who graduated from Akron East high school, they will always be the East High school ORIENTALS!! ORIENTALS FOREVER Drag
DRAGONS Never

Springfield Shawnee has 2 gyms. When I was young (<10) the girls played in the old gym and the boys played in the new gym. I always loved watching girls games because the crowd was part of the action. The distance from the sideline to the first row was less than 5 feet. Unfortunately, a parent brought a Title IX lawsuit and now all high school games take place in the new gym. Still think its a mistake because the girls team never comes close to filling the new gym and could keep the old gym reasonably full.

Know its off topic but since gyms were brought up....

No ONE not even youth, should ever play in that old gym ever again or not until the floor would get redone. I do however like the balcony and the coziness. Some schools the girls draw more than the boys, how would that have went if things were that way at Shawnee and the boys got the slick floored death trap..... I don't really care just food for thought.

No ONE not even youth, should ever play in that old gym ever again or not until the floor would get redone. I do however like the balcony and the coziness. Some schools the girls draw more than the boys, how would that have went if things were that way at Shawnee and the boys got the slick floored death trap..... I don't really care just food for thought.
You can rest assured that the floor has been completely redone (this past year actually). With that said the balcony is now gone.

"I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLY A FLAG WITH A SWASTIKA ON IT BECAUSE IT'S THE NATIVE AMERICANS USED IT AS A PEACE SYMBOL" is the same arguement you're saying right now.

Now that's a brilliant statement..

It's 100% true though. ?

Kinda like the classic "my dad's brother's neighbor's sister is half Native, and she isn't offended by Indian names, so therefore it's fine to use them" despite the thousands and even millions of ACTUAL, full blooded Natives who have spoken out and said they aren't ok with it.

What's next, wanting to name a school the Gays because that used to mean happy?

It's 100% true though. ?

Kinda like the classic "my dad's brother's neighbor's sister is half Native, and she isn't offended by Indian names, so therefore it's fine to use them" despite the thousands and even millions of ACTUAL, full blooded Natives who have spoken out and said they aren't ok with it.

What's next, wanting to name a school the Gays because that used to mean happy?
Yep. Justifying "oriental" wades into etymlogical fallacy territory.

The word isn't common in American parlance. At the time the school adopted the nickname, its common usage was in British English to describe "of being eastern Asian" quality. The original context was probably not too objectionable, but its usage in the interwar/WW2 period and points after carried negative connotations. Not too totally different from how "eskimo" has been eschewed as a term.

Yep. Justifying "oriental" wades into etymlogical fallacy territory.

The word isn't common in American parlance. At the time the school adopted the nickname, its common usage was in British English to describe "of being eastern Asian" quality. The original context was probably not too objectionable, but its usage in the interwar/WW2 period and points after carried negative connotations. Not too totally different from how "eskimo" has been eschewed as a term.
Could be why Akron North changed their name from Eskimos to Vikings. Being that North hasn’t won much for quite a few years, the Vikings are miffed and have asked that their name be dropped. Don’t even think about calling them the North Poles, that’s just asking for trouble.

Buckeye Valley is an especially frustrating one because of that far southwest pocket. The high school is north of Delaware, no reason why kids living along and south of US-42 on that side of the district should be attending BVHS. Jonathan Alder makes more sense for some, Olentangy better sense for others.
We live 5 minutes from Olentangy Liberty, have to drive past Delaware Hayes to get to Buckeye Valley for school :)

Niles McKinley Red Dragons...

The origination of the Red Dragon mascot is an unknown but it is widely believed that it came derived as a tribute to the many Welsh living in Niles (1920s). There are only a few Red Dragon mascots in the United States. The school recognized dragon was adopted from an art contest to create a dragon to be used by the school (1960s). Impressive that this was done by an 8th grade female student. FYI, Yappi username RedEagle is an aficionado on the subject of mascots and even wrote a book on the subject I believe.
RedDragonLogo2 copy.jpg