School Logo History/Backstory

I think Springfield Township (Springfield Ohio, Shawnee) cam into fruition by over crowding at Tecumceh and Greenon from what I was told.
The resident historian says that at least one of the 3 schools that flow into Shawnee used to flow into Northwestern. But I could certainly see where there could have been some students that were going to Tecumseh and Greenon before Shawnee came to be. On a side note. This will be the final year of 3 schools flowing into Shawnee. Beginning in 2021-22 Shawnee will be a single campus district.

The resident historian says that at least one of the 3 schools that flow into Shawnee used to flow into Northwestern. But I could certainly see where there could have been some students that were going to Tecumseh and Greenon before Shawnee came to be. On a side note. This will be the final year of 3 schools flowing into Shawnee. Beginning in 2021-22 Shawnee will be a single campus district.
Yeah. That sucks for Rockway kids parents, but it is what it is.

When I attended Ignatius in the early 60's, the helmets carried the number of the player. Nothing fancy, kind of dull actually. I too prefer the Golden Tornado, but I think any time a twister wiped out a city, somehow, some way heat would have been attached to Ignatius for glorifying a destructive storm. But then again there is the Miami Hurricanes.

Anyone know the nicknames of the two other Jesuit St. Ignatius High Schools (I'm too lazy to look them up). There is St. Ignatius in San Francisco and St. Ignatius Lite in Chicago.

Anyone know the nicknames of the two other Jesuit St. Ignatius High Schools (I'm too lazy to look them up). There is St. Ignatius in San Francisco and St. Ignatius Lite in Chicago.
Chicago: Nickname Wolfpack Colors Maroon and Gold

San Francisco: Nickname Wildcats Colors Red and Blue

There is a St. Ignatius Parish school here on the westside of Cincinnati. Colors are blue and gold. Mascot? Wildcats.

I think Springfield Township (Springfield Ohio, Shawnee) cam into fruition by over crowding at Tecumceh and Greenon from what I was told.
I am not sure but i think the creation may have more to do more with the split of Springfield HS into North and South in 1960 than Tecumseh and/or Greenon overcrowding.

I am not sure but i think the creation may have more to do more with the split of Springfield HS into North and South in 1960 than Tecumseh and/or Greenon overcrowding.
I believe the first graduating class of Shawnee was in 1959. You'd think that it would have taken a couple of years to build. I'm not sure at that time where Rockway, Possum or Reid kids would have gone to hs then. I know Rockway went to Tech. Maybe some Rockway kids went to NW or Greenon. Not sure on that.

It is still a wonder that some have stood the test of time like Redskins, Warriors, Crusaders, etc.

Agreed.

I know here in our area Talawanda voted to move away from Braves and all Native American imagery. For those not familiar, they are simply now the "Brave." Have heard rumblings that they may shift away from that even. One name that's in the air is Titans.

Anderson is still holding pretty firmly on to Redskins as it was revisited about this time two years ago.

Fairfield, who is the Indians, I wonder if they are looking to shift to a new direction. They have been using their Florida-inspired "F" a lot more than the Indian head logo. They had a new turf field put down a few years ago and it features the F at midfield. The demographics of the district have changed a lot over the past 15-20 years and will continue to do so I think. I can see that ratcheting up more momentum for a change.

Lima Perry Commodores-named after Naval Sargent Matthew Perry, whose nickname was "Commodore Perry." Pretty simple, but interesting. No one in the state of Ohio uses that moniker. I believe there is another Perry Commodores in Pennsylvania though. And of course, Vanderbilt uses Commodores.

Lima Perry Commodores-named after Naval Sargent Matthew Perry, whose nickname was "Commodore Perry." Pretty simple, but interesting. No one in the state of Ohio uses that moniker. I believe there is another Perry Commodores in Pennsylvania though. And of course, Vanderbilt uses Commodores.
Perry also considered being the Corvettes, as Allen East was the Mustangs and Lima Central Catholic was the Thunderbirds.

They also talked about just being the Perry "Dogs".

Now Corvettes would've been funny yet unique!

I've always liked the schools who use a mascot that is reflective of the local economy/industry/trades:

Norwalk Truckers
East Liverpool Potters
Crooksville Ceramics
Philo Electrics
Sycamore Aviators (used to be a municipal airport in the district until recently)
Vandalia Butler Aviators (close to Dayton Airport)

I'm sure there are others but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.

I've always liked the schools who use a mascot that is reflective of the local economy/industry/trades:

Norwalk Truckers
East Liverpool Potters
Crooksville Ceramics
Philo Electrics
Sycamore Aviators (used to be a municipal airport in the district until recently)

I'm sure there are others but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.
Sandusky Blue Streaks (named after the coaster at nearby Cedar Point)

Norwalk Truckers
East Liverpool Potters
Crooksville Ceramics
Philo Electrics

That's too cool, didn't know that's how Sycamore got their name.

That's too cool, didn't know that's how Sycamore got their name.

From the old Blue Ash Airport-at least that's the story I was told.

If anyone is ever in Northern Cincinnati for work, sports tournaments etc., the site of the old airport is now called Summit Park and is great for running off energy on the walking path, playground for kids, observation tower and some great restaurants (depending on your tastes). Has an outdoor ice skating rink around the holidays.

Steubenville "Big Red" seems to have a really interesting back story that continuous to be embraced to this day each time the team takes the field in Death Valley. At the turn of the century, early 1900"s, the newly formed Steubenville High School was in search of an identity in the form of a mascot. Without television, the newspaper was the main source for all news, including sports. Baseball, Boxing, Track & Field, and especially horse racing were the main draw of the day. One athlete in particular was widely known throughout the country as the greatest of all time, a horse, by the name of
"Man-o-War" . The muscular thoroughbred was a rare combination of power and speed, who dominated the competition. "BIG RED" whom the horse was often referred as due to his superior size and unusual red coat of fur. During a newspaper article from the turn of the century, a print writer described Man -O-War dominance as follows" the horse known as "Big Red" going down the final stretch in a blaze with fire coming out his noise". With that "Big Red" was adopted as the mascot of Steubenville High School.

Today, at Harding Stadium home of the BIG RED, when the local team is driving down the field you can here a snarling horse with hooves clanking over the PA system as the great horse did so many times before, and above the scoreboard Man-o-War sits watching over the beloved team and after each score or big play is made by the home team, the towering statue of a "red" horse blows fire from his nose once again.

Fremont Ross' Little Giant was named thanks to our arch-rivals head coach.

On Halloween 1925 Fremont Ross hosted a highly touted Sandusky football team in a game at the Sandusky County Fairgrounds. Despite being underdogs to their hated arch-rivals, the Fremonters beat the Blue Streaks 7-6. After the game, the Sandusky head coach told the reporter from The Fremont Daily News that the Fremont kids played like "a bunch of Little Giants" and the name stuck.

Prior to that game, the Fremont teams had been called a number of different names, including Bobcats and Yellow Devils, just to name a few.

Our Little Giant mascot is named Roscoe. There are a number of ideas as to why, but most believe it is a take off on the old chant, "Go Ross Go"

The original Roscoe was a mean looking guy. He had a scowl on his face, he carried a big club with a nail in it, wearing a purple and white tarzan-looking outfit along with his cleats. Now Roscoe smiles and doesn't carry his club, which I personally don't care for.

Steubenville "Big Red" seems to have a really interesting back story that continuous to be embraced to this day each time the team takes the field in Death Valley. At the turn of the century, early 1900"s, the newly formed Steubenville High School was in search of an identity in the form of a mascot. Without television, the newspaper was the main source for all news, including sports. Baseball, Boxing, Track & Field, and especially horse racing were the main draw of the day. One athlete in particular was widely known throughout the country as the greatest of all time, a horse, by the name of
"Man-o-War" . The muscular thoroughbred was a rare combination of power and speed, who dominated the competition. "BIG RED" whom the horse was often referred as due to his superior size and unusual red coat of fur. During a newspaper article from the turn of the century, a print writer described Man -O-War dominance as follows" the horse known as "Big Red" going down the final stretch in a blaze with fire coming out his noise". With that "Big Red" was adopted as the mascot of Steubenville High School.

Today, at Harding Stadium home of the BIG RED, when the local team is driving down the field you can here a snarling horse with hooves clanking over the PA system as the great horse did so many times before, and above the scoreboard Man-o-War sits watching over the beloved team and after each score or big play is made by the home team, the towering statue of a "red" horse blows fire from his nose once again.
One unique thing about Steubenville also is that people refer to the high school as Big Red. When asked, people will say they went to Big Red, not Steubenville. I’ve never heard of another HS that is referred to by its nickname and as a place.

Hudson completed its 100th year of fielding teams this past fall. The teams nickname, Explorers, and the logo ship seem a bit odd considering the town is landlocked.

The name Explorers was chosen to honor Lincoln Ellsworth, who’s father grew up in Hudson in the 1800’s and who retuned to Hudson years later after making a fortune in the coal industry. He modernized the town and built the signature clock tower in town. Ironically, Lincoln did not grow up in Hudson and did not attend Hudson HS, however, he did live in the town at some point in his life.
Lincoln was a polar explorer and made exploration trips to Antarctica. There’s even a mountain range named in his honor. This was the inspiration for the name Explorers and the ship.

Around 2013 or so, the team changed from silver helmets to matt blue, with the Metallic silver ship logo on the left side and player number on the right, with a thick silver stripe down the middle. One of the more unique logos and attractive helmets you’ll see on a HS team.

One unique thing about Steubenville also is that people refer to the high school as Big Red. When asked, people will say they went to Big Red, not Steubenville. I’ve never heard of another HS that is referred to by its nickname and as a place.

Probably not to the same level as Steubenville, but I hear people around my area (live outside of Hamilton) refer to Hamilton High School by their mascot, as Big Blue. "Oh he graduated from Big Blue in 88" etc.

IMHO, I think it's mainly done around here to help differentiate from the local Catholic high school Hamilton Badin. Although locally you rarely hear someone include the Hamilton part in front of Badin.

Hudson completed its 100th year of fielding teams this past fall. The teams nickname, Explorers, and the logo ship seem a bit odd considering the town is landlocked.

The name Explorers was chosen to honor Lincoln Ellsworth, who’s father grew up in Hudson in the 1800’s and who retuned to Hudson years later after making a fortune in the coal industry. He modernized the town and built the signature clock tower in town. Ironically, Lincoln did not grow up in Hudson and did not attend Hudson HS, however, he did live in the town at some point in his life.
Lincoln was a polar explorer and made exploration trips to Antarctica. There’s even a mountain range named in his honor. This was the inspiration for the name Explorers and the ship.

Around 2013 or so, the team changed from silver helmets to matt blue, with the Metallic silver ship logo on the left side and player number on the right, with a thick silver stripe down the middle. One of the more unique logos and attractive helmets you’ll see on a HS team.

And who says you can't learn something new every day?

I always figured the "Explorers" nickname was a tip of the cap to 17th century explorer Henry Hudson who was in search of the Northwest Passage.

Probably not to the same level as Steubenville, but I hear people around my area (live outside of Hamilton) refer to Hamilton High School by their mascot, as Big Blue. "Oh he graduated from Big Blue in 88" etc.

IMHO, I think it's mainly done around here to help differentiate from the local Catholic high school Hamilton Badin. Although locally you rarely hear someone include the Hamilton part in front of Badin.
Is that the reason, or is it to differentiate Hamilton HS from the era of when Hamilton had 2 public HSs?

Would've been the perfect name for Perrysburg also, way better than the over used Yellow Jackets