Scholarships and Commitments

Amen. Long list of X kids that were and are off the charts in character, heart, commitment, and willingness to make the team win. Seems like all that falls on deaf ears for recruiters anymore. All about the stopwatch or tape measure. What I find ironic is that seemed to be the approach of Bengals for so long and that never worked. They'd pass on Chris Spielman because he was only 6'0 and ran high 4.7's, ended up all Pro in Detroit because of his sheer will. Same with Terrell Davis who is in HOF. Bengals would draft a steroid guy or 4.3 guy, neither could stay healthy or actually play NFL caliber football. What is the expression, looked like Reggie White but ended up playing like Betty White.

Enough whining from me. Hoping for the best for both Bombers and Bengals!!

So much of offers from the bigger schools comes to fitting the position profile regarding size and speed. For example look at Paris Johnson and Matt Bockhort. Paris has an NFL frame and early in his HS career was the best prospect in the country, but at that time may not have been playing as the best linemen in the country because he had only played a few games at LT and was still getting used to his growth. But OSU knew with his size and feet he'd have a shot at the NFL and he got some snaps in the final four this year. Matt Bockhorst was a starter at Clemson, he is almost 6'4" and Ohio State didn't even offer as at that time OSU only recruited O-Linemen 6'5" and up. He didn't fit the profile, glad for him and Clemson he fit theirs.

Applying that concept to current guys:

Lyons will definitely get more MAC offers as one school already in, others will follow. Power 5's will be based on his forty time. They'll be looking for 4'5's or low 4.6's. If he runs that he can pick his spot. In today's spread offense world LB's are not the big run stuffers of old, rather have to cover in space.

Same applies to Kirk, he is in a speed position, I think he was high 4'6's. If that improves he'll have plenty of offers.

Nolan is likely D3 for those same reasons, unless he as been going to camps as a QB and lighting those up, which get him on the QB board.

Last, in todays world recruiters rely much less on input from the HS coach. In the old days the HS coach called a college coach and said take this kid, he's great player and even better person, and they would. Now these recruiter guys spend too much time looking at the stopwatch, tape measure and weight scale. Frustrates Coach Specht to no end.

Hoping for the best for all these guys and others not mentioned.
I have to believe that Specht was a big reason that Paris was named as the #1 tackle going into his sophomore year. He had yet to play the position, yet he was getting all of this attention. Paris didn't get a starting spot until some injuries late in his sophomore year, which is understandable, given that he had never played the position. He struggled against Colerain in the playoffs and then his junior year he played pretty well, but certainly not as a top rated tackle.

Robbie Schoenhoft is the ultimate example of being evaluated based on meaurables and performance in a camp, rather than game film.

It is important for players and more importantly parents to understand that if you don't have the measurables that schools are looking for, either size or speed, you will not be considered a Power 5 prospect.

I have to believe that Specht was a big reason that Paris was named as the #1 tackle going into his sophomore year. He had yet to play the position, yet he was getting all of this attention. Paris didn't get a starting spot until some injuries late in his sophomore year, which is understandable, given that he had never played the position. He struggled against Colerain in the playoffs and then his junior year he played pretty well, but certainly not as a top rated tackle.

Robbie Schoenhoft is the ultimate example of being evaluated based on meaurables and performance in a camp, rather than game film.

It is important for players and more importantly parents to understand that if you don't have the measurables that schools are looking for, either size or speed, you will not be considered a Power 5 prospect.
Great point about the measurables, and Schoenhoft is a fantastic example.

Klare was the TE position MVP at the Best of the Southwest combine, and from the video clip I saw, looks like he has added some muscle. He is a mismatch nightmare if he stays at TE instead of WR. At the same event, Lyons was working with the D-Linemen group, not the LB's, and sounds like he was doing well at it. May be interesting to see where he lines up this fall. Nolan was doing drills with the QB's, and was impressive- good 40 time, and a very quick shuttle, and sounds like he was throwing the ball well. I can't see him unseating BMc as the starter, , but displayed some really good athleticism. The other X kid that was highlighted was Rob Fogler ('23). He was measured at 6'7", and close to 300 lbs, and had a good frame. Comments were that he still needed to work, but that size is going to get him looks. Not sure if he gets on the field this year if the line stays healthy though.

Lastly, looks like CK picked up an offer from Lehigh.

Klare was the TE position MVP at the Best of the Southwest combine, and from the video clip I saw, looks like he has added some muscle. He is a mismatch nightmare if he stays at TE instead of WR. At the same event, Lyons was working with the D-Linemen group, not the LB's, and sounds like he was doing well at it. May be interesting to see where he lines up this fall. Nolan was doing drills with the QB's, and was impressive- good 40 time, and a very quick shuttle, and sounds like he was throwing the ball well. I can't see him unseating BMc as the starter, , but displayed some really good athleticism. The other X kid that was highlighted was Rob Fogler ('23). He was measured at 6'7", and close to 300 lbs, and had a good frame. Comments were that he still needed to work, but that size is going to get him looks. Not sure if he gets on the field this year if the line stays healthy though.

Sounds like the roster is full of guys who will be playing at the next level which is always very exciting. I think the growth of football camps has made it easier for guys to be noticed. It is also how players who have had very little varsity experience pick up offers before proving it on the playing field.

Its interesting to see a TE like Klare following Marshall Lange as I don't recall a true stud TE coming out of St X, certainly not of the Power 5 level.

Sounds like the roster is full of guys who will be playing at the next level which is always very exciting. I think the growth of football camps has made it easier for guys to be noticed. It is also how players who have had very little varsity experience pick up offers before proving it on the playing field.

Its interesting to see a TE like Klare following Marshall Lange as I don't recall a true stud TE coming out of St X, certainly not of the Power 5 level.
Noah Davis at Michigan St. And Lang are the ones I remember. Klare could be a monster in this system next year.

Noah Davis at Michigan St. And Lang are the ones I remember. Klare could be a monster in this system next year.
Forgot about Noah Davis. He wasn't used like Lange was. He had 39 catches his senior year for 3 Tds. I think you are right when you mention this system. Obviously the new O Coordinator is much more creative then Bob Klotz could ever have dreamed of being.

It will be interesting to see how Lange does at Northwestern. I don't think Davis had much success at Michigan State, at least in terms of playing time

Forgot about Noah Davis. He wasn't used like Lange was. He had 39 catches his senior year for 3 Tds. I think you are right when you mention this system. Obviously the new O Coordinator is much more creative then Bob Klotz could ever have dreamed of being.

It will be interesting to see how Lange does at Northwestern. I don't think Davis had much success at Michigan State, at least in terms of playing time
Yeah, Davis didn't get a ton of PT, and I think was mostly a blocker. To be fair, maybe with the exception of Stephon Ball, who was more in that hybrid wr-te role, that's what X Te's were.

Top 12 StX Tight Ends
1. *Mark Schmerge (75) Michigan: 3 year starter, considered one of the best football players ever at StX, 2 way player his senior year (TE/DE), only Bomber to ever be named a Parade All American; played in 3 Rose Bowls and 1 Orange Bowl at Michigan
2. *Paul Schmerge (81) Michigan: 3 year starter, GCL player of the year, led StX to first ever post season appearance in 1981 (33 catches for 447 yards)
3. Marshall Lang (19) Northwestern: 1.5 year starter, senior season had the best year ever for a Bomber TE catching a record 86 passes for 1,012 yards and 10 TDs
4. Eric Arling (99) Kentucky: 3 year starter, 6'5" 257lb, 30-6 career record, 3 regional final appearances and 1 state final appearance in 1999 (25 catches for 440 yards)
5. *Nick Vehr (76) Notre Dame
6. Jack Cameron (86) Dayton: AP 3rd Team All Ohio, Greg Frey's favorite target; Career: 101 catches for 1,401 yards and 14 TDs
7. Jason Cohill (92): leading receiver on 1st state final team (39 catches for 680 yards), AP 2nd Team All Ohio as punter
8. Noah Davis (15) Michigan State/University of Cincinnati
9. Jack Ankenbauer (84) Cincinnati; Career: 67 catches for 835 yards
10. Alex Longi (09): only played senior season but was Luke Massa's favorite target averaging 4 catches per game (39 catches for 426 yards)
11. Seth Robinson (05): leading receiver on the rush happy 2005 state championship team
12. Joe Neiser (10) Miami

*member of StX Hall of Fame

New offers:

Sam Buerkle: Penn
CK Kellom: Lehigh, Dartmouth

Interesting point made listening to the Coach's Corner podcast with Specht was COVID's effects on recruiting. Teams playing less games to begin with, a lot of colleges slashing travel budgets or not being able to travel at all, and the limited capacities, along with the lack of camps last year, have had to have made it hard for kids to get real visibility. Not to mention, with the NCAA granting the extra eligibility, which may affect the number of offers that can be given, this was a tough year for kids to get the offers they may have seen in other years. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next 8 months, especially with the kids who may have been overlooked a little this year.

If i read this right, a potentially starting CB & 3rd string Q attended camps as a Q..?...not just the fact that the QB1 is a better Q & a better athlete but the chemistry Brogan Mccaughey has w/Max, CK, Luke, Terrell & Joey not to mention the O-line is off the charts. .if X needs some any help next yr its at CB/DB ....heck this unselfish attitude worked out well for Liam & most recently Max
The best 11 at their positions play every down....just seems like players should spend time getting better to help the team & themselves.
Needs for 2021: DBs, NT, more depth at LB & WR...rest of roster seems pretty set actually more than just 'set' but arguably each position has a state-wide Top 1-3 boy assigned already. Lets just hope Mason doesnt start long snapping or one of the stud O-linemen start training to run the ball....;)

If i read this right, a potentially starting CB & 3rd string Q attended camps as a Q..?...not just the fact that the QB1 is a better Q & a better athlete but the chemistry Brogan Mccaughey has w/Max, CK, Luke, Terrell & Joey not to mention the O-line is off the charts. .if X needs some any help next yr its at CB/DB ....heck this unselfish attitude worked out well for Liam & most recently Max
The best 11 at their positions play every down....just seems like players should spend time getting better to help the team & themselves.
Needs for 2021: DBs, NT, more depth at LB & WR...rest of roster seems pretty set actually more than just 'set' but arguably each position has a state-wide Top 1-3 boy assigned already. Lets just hope Mason doesnt start long snapping or one of the stud O-linemen start training to run the ball....;)
Yep, worked out as a QB. I'm guessing the mentality behind this was to show out as an athlete with versatility. Will be interesting to see what position he ends up in, guessing either corner or wide receiver. I don't think he was in any way trying to usurp QB1, the kid has done whatever asked and hung with the program when he could have easily transferred and started at QB for 90% of the teams in the area. The kid's trying his best to get his college paid for.

With needs, NT and ILB I think are the toughest fills. Lyons is VERY good, Reilly is solid- could actually see him sliding inside if he puts on a little more bulk now that wrestling is done. NT is the biggest question, Gio just didn't come out of games last season, so no one else got to audition.

The DB'S started playing much better as the season went on, especially Kemper. They'll also get the cb who went out in game 3 who was starting. Kirk will be a 3 year starter, and possibly could be adjuster, would fit him well. Bonner will probably be at another DB spot, along with Bareswilt. That could be the 5 db's, allowing Nolan to go to WR. I really think next year's play calling will resemble the 2019 team, with Max replacing Lang, a good combo of backs in Luke and CK, and then the wides. McFarlin has some big potential from the slot, he and Klare are mismatches working against lb's or safeties.

I think there will be two juniors on the team next season that can fill the NT spot. Gio set the bar pretty high but I could see both of the juniors splitting time at NT just to keep fresh bodies in the game. The younger Devine is probably in the mix for LB position. Seems like everything he has been doing up to this point is to mold him for a starting position in 2021. Bonner has good size and a lot of speed, could play Adjuster or LB. Klare is going to be a nightmare for teams to cover. He is going to get lined up at TE and at in the Slot, good luck covering that dude. We also know the Bombers have one high level D1A prospect at QB and a backup that is better than almost anyone else in the City. I am also interested to see if Fleetwood cracks into the starting OL rotation. He has great size and really good feet, it will be tough to keep him on the sidelines. It is going to another fun season with a schedule that is going to really challenge this team.

I think there will be two juniors on the team next season that can fill the NT spot. Gio set the bar pretty high but I could see both of the juniors splitting time at NT just to keep fresh bodies in the game. The younger Devine is probably in the mix for LB position. Seems like everything he has been doing up to this point is to mold him for a starting position in 2021. Bonner has good size and a lot of speed, could play Adjuster or LB. Klare is going to be a nightmare for teams to cover. He is going to get lined up at TE and at in the Slot, good luck covering that dude. We also know the Bombers have one high level D1A prospect at QB and a backup that is better than almost anyone else in the City. I am also interested to see if Fleetwood cracks into the starting OL rotation. He has great size and really good feet, it will be tough to keep him on the sidelines. It is going to another fun season with a schedule that is going to really challenge this team.

I think Edwards played some time at the nose last year, looked to have the build as a sophomore to step in. Dollenmeyer looks like he has some potential too, maybe the other end. If A. Devine or someone else can step in at LB , like Cummings, I think Bonner would be awesome in the adjuster role, though that is a really good fit for Kirk as well, I could see either there with success. Guessing Kemper and either Anderson or Nolan will be the corners, Bareswilt will be safety, Kirk will be safety or adjuster, leaving one possible spot open for either Anderson or Nolan or maybe A. Leslie or one of the rising juniors. Either way, the DB's generally picked up their play later in the season, especially Kemper.

I agree with you on Fleetwood too. I don't think any of the three kids who are going to be 3 year starters are going to be replaced unless due to injury, so that leaves Koch and Uhl. Judging on just size, Uhl would be the most likely suspect to move, and maybe he goes to the other side- he's giving up about 40 pounds to Koch and 50 to Fleetwood, and both have generally bigger frames to add muscle to. I can see Koch playing at 265-270, and Fleetwood at 280-285 next year. If Fleetwood has good footwork, maybe he goes to tackle, and Koch goes to guard. That is a mammoth of a line that brings a lot of talent to the table. My only worry is breaking that continuity from last year. During the playoffs, that line was stellar against some big time competition- a bunch of scholarship kids they faced off against.

you might be on to something, one of these OL could be moved to DL and maybe that is what happens. we saw it happen last season with whitehouse and it worked really well

Grant Lyons commits to Miami (OH). Congrats to Grant!

A lot of the 2022 class is on the road visiting and camping. I expect that we will see a lot of activity soon considering the situation with the "super seniors" and transfer portal at the NCAA level.

Congrats Grant Lyons on his commitment to Miami. I think he has the potential to get some looks from bigger looks but he must feel pretty comfortable with the Redhawks.

Congrats Grant Lyons on his commitment to Miami. I think he has the potential to get some looks from bigger looks but he must feel pretty comfortable with the Redhawks.
I was a little surprised too by the early commit, but awesome for him, and he can live without the recruiting distractions the rest of the year.

As somewhat expected, some new offers recently:
Alex Kemper, Terrell McFarlin, Eli Kirk- Valpo
CK Kellom, Sam Buerkle- Grand Valley State
Eli Kirk, Jack Renneker- Findlay
Max Klare- Georgia Tech, Purdue

I would expect to see some deeper interest in McCaughey after his elite 11 performance (highest score at the Philly meet).
When Ryan Nolan finds a position, he should get offers
Rohmiller should get some offers, but tougher as a kicker
Josh Anderson could be interesting, as could Brennan Bareswilt. Anderson was hurt last year, but has great corner size, and I believe would be a 3 year starter. BB came out of nowhere last year, along with Kemper, to have a really good year.
Would not be surprised if Brody Koch got some D2 interest.

For the underclassmen, Max Bonner, Evan Fleetwood, Braylon Adams, JJ Dollenmeyer, and Rob Fogler will probably get interest, though may be tougher for Fleetwood and Fogler since they are O-linemen trying to break into a returning starting 5.

I would always suggest that a player ask themselves how good a fit would a school be if I wasn't playing football. I don't know Grant, but given the number of St X kids that attend Miami, my guess is he would feel this was a good fit even without football. Now you get a free ride to a great school and the opportunity to play a sport you love.
He might have held out for a more prestigious football school (Power 5 ) but if he didn't see the field or decided to quit playing would it still be the best school?
Congrats to Grant and good luck on a healthy and successful senior season.

I was a little surprised too by the early commit, but awesome for him, and he can live without the recruiting distractions the rest of the year.

As somewhat expected, some new offers recently:
Alex Kemper, Terrell McFarlin, Eli Kirk- Valpo
CK Kellom, Sam Buerkle- Grand Valley State
Eli Kirk, Jack Renneker- Findlay
Max Klare- Georgia Tech, Purdue

I would expect to see some deeper interest in McCaughey after his elite 11 performance (highest score at the Philly meet).
When Ryan Nolan finds a position, he should get offers
Rohmiller should get some offers, but tougher as a kicker
Josh Anderson could be interesting, as could Brennan Bareswilt. Anderson was hurt last year, but has great corner size, and I believe would be a 3 year starter. BB came out of nowhere last year, along with Kemper, to have a really good year.
Would not be surprised if Brody Koch got some D2 interest.

For the underclassmen, Max Bonner, Evan Fleetwood, Braylon Adams, JJ Dollenmeyer, and Rob Fogler will probably get interest, though may be tougher for Fleetwood and Fogler since they are O-linemen trying to break into a returning starting 5.
Fogler now has two offers, including IU

Bareswilt got his first offer from Capital U this week
Parker with another Power 5 offer, this one from Duke.

Coach Specht has spoken highly of Cutcliffe and his staff at Duke, so not surprised to see Klare going there, and expect to see that pipeline open up kind of like the one X had with BC for a while.

Bareswilt got his first offer from Capital U this week
Parker with another Power 5 offer, this one from Duke.

Coach Specht has spoken highly of Cutcliffe and his staff at Duke, so not surprised to see Klare going there, and expect to see that pipeline open up kind of like the one X had with BC for a while.
Smart move on the part of kids choosing schools with great academic reputations like Duke and Northwestern. Regardless of how football pans out you have a degree from a school that will help open many doors.