Scholarships and Commitments

Class of 2020 LB TJ O'Malley commits to Dayton and class of 2020 DE Hayden Bailey received an offer from Urbanna. Not sure if they signed today. Congrats to TJ and Hayden!

Class of 2020 (Final Count)

RG Jack Kirby Penn commit

TE Marshall Lang Northwestern commit

LB Thomas O’Malley Dayton commit

LB/P Noah Taylor Cornell commit

S Tucker Hundley Central Michigan commit (baseball)

QB Matthew Rueve Boston College commit

RB Kellen Newman Butler commit

Class of 2021

WR Liam Clifford Penn State commit

NG Gio Albanese offers from Central Michigan, Tiffin, Northwood and Valparaiso

LB Matt Devine offer from Valparaiso

OL Jackson Wassler offer from Youngstown State

S Gabe DuBois Lafayette commit

Class of 2022

OL Brian Parker offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Toledo, Pittsburgh

OL Cameron Collins offers from Akron, Toledo

Last edited:
Add THE University of Cincinnati to Parker's list, think Gio also has Valparaiso. DuBoise committed to Lafayette (FCS).

Any updates on this? I know Parker and Collins have offers already, and think McCaughey now has at least 1, but not sure from where.

Matt Devine committed to play football for the Air Force Academy this past weekend

Collins now has offers from Louisville and WVU

McCaughey will get some major D1 offers before it is all said and done.

Here are the updates that I have heard. Feel free to update!

Class of 2021

NG Gio Albanese offers from Central Michigan, Tiffin, Northwood, Valparaiso and Fordham

LB Matt Devine Air Force Academy commit

DE Michael Whitehouse offers from Depauw, Dayton, Valparaiso, Centre, Mount St. Joe, Thomas Moore

S Drew Britt offers from Valparaiso, Carnegie Mellon

Class of 2022

OL Brian Parker offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Eastern Michigan, Princeton, Penn, Buffalo

OL Cameron Collins offers from Akron, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Louisville, West Virginia, Central Michigan

QB Brogan McCaughey offers from Kent State

DE Sam Buerkle interest from Toledo and Miami

S Eli Kirk interest from Miami and UC

Here are the updates that I have heard. Feel free to update!

Class of 2021

NG Gio Albanese offers from Central Michigan, Tiffin, Northwood, Valparaiso and Fordham

LB Matt Devine Air Force Academy commit

DE Michael Whitehouse offers from Depauw, Dayton, Valparaiso, Centre, Mount St. Joe, Thomas Moore

S Drew Britt offers from Valparaiso, Carnegie Mellon

Class of 2022

OL Brian Parker offers from Akron, Cincinnati, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Eastern Michigan, Princeton, Penn, Buffalo

OL Cameron Collins offers from Akron, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Louisville, West Virginia, Central Michigan

QB Brogan McCaughey offers from Kent State

DE Sam Buerkle interest from Toledo and Miami

S Eli Kirk interest from Miami and UC
What does it mean to have an offer from a Division III school (like Mount St. Joe)? They cannot offer any scholarship money, as it is prohibited in Division iii...

I didn't type it but D3 Colleges certainly provide athletes different types of grants, non athletic scholarships, and other means of helping to offset the tuition and room & board. There is a reason some D3 programs are powerhouses. Mount Union doesn't dominate every season because all of their players are paying full tuition. These D3 colleges have a ton of money, they are private, follow NCAA guidelines, but they certainly provide athletes different types of financial assistance to help offset the cost.

I didn't type it but D3 Colleges certainly provide athletes different types of grants, non athletic scholarships, and other means of helping to offset the tuition and room & board. There is a reason some D3 programs are powerhouses. Mount Union doesn't dominate every season because all of their players are paying full tuition. These D3 colleges have a ton of money, they are private, follow NCAA guidelines, but they certainly provide athletes different types of financial assistance to help offset the cost.
Yes, but the ”scholarships” are non-athletic (and non-athletic performance) based... and even after scholarships, MSJ is usually quite a bit more in cost than, say, UC— even to kids playing on the football team at MSJ.

There is a reason MSJ is not a D3 powerhouse, they don't offer enough. Mount Union's top players leave that school with very little debt from college loans, etc. St John's in Minnesota was basically giving all of their athletes "Alumni Scholarships" and the NCAA stepped in and said they had to move out of D3. I think most D3 programs provide less than a 1/3 of financial assistance to their athletes, but the powerhouses in that level take care of their athletes.

What does it mean to have an offer from a Division III school (like Mount St. Joe)? They cannot offer any scholarship money, as it is prohibited in Division iii...
Although D3 does not offer scholarships getting an "offer" means a conditional acceptance to the school. Schools like Carnegie Mellon, Case Western and U of Chicago have very low acceptance rates. The coaches at those schools can make offers to kids who would not necessarily get accepted based solely on their academic record. In my opinion getting an offer from one of these schools is more meaningful then from a MSJ because of the difficulty in gaining admission under normal circumstances and the academic reputation of these schools.

Although D3 does not offer scholarships getting an "offer" means a conditional acceptance to the school. Schools like Carnegie Mellon, Case Western and U of Chicago have very low acceptance rates. The coaches at those schools can make offers to kids who would not necessarily get accepted based solely on their academic record. In my opinion getting an offer from one of these schools is more meaningful then from a MSJ because of the difficulty in gaining admission under normal circumstances and the academic reputation of these schools.
This would be a positive attribute—if it were true— but top academic schools in Division III are NOT allowed to let athletic prowess factor into the admissions decision at those schools— and most of those schools that are truly ELITE will not allow the coach to influence their admissions decision (unlike at Division i schools like the Ivys, Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc.)... in my personal experience, the coaches at both Washington University in St. Louis and at MIT and CalTech told me pointedly and directly that they could NOT help my son get admitted, despite their HUGE interest in having him play for them on their respective varsity teams. That is NOT the case at Harvard, Yale, etc.

This would be a positive attribute—if it were true— but top academic schools in Division III are NOT allowed to let athletic prowess factor into the admissions decision at those schools— and most of those schools that are truly ELITE will not allow the coach to influence their admissions decision (unlike at Division i schools like the Ivys, Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc.)... in my personal experience, the coaches at both Washington University in St. Louis and at MIT and CalTech told me pointedly and directly that they could NOT help my son get admitted, despite their HUGE interest in having him play for them on their respective varsity teams. That is NOT the case at Harvard, Yale, etc.

I would say this is a gray area because there are certainly kids playing at these top academic institutions that most likely would not of been accepted if they applied as a regular student. A coach might not be able to influence the admissions director to accept a "C" student but he probably is able to get X amount of spots for "B" students.

I would say this is a gray area because there are certainly kids playing at these top academic institutions that most likely would not of been accepted if they applied as a regular student. A coach might not be able to influence the admissions director to accept a "C" student but he probably is able to get X amount of spots for "B" students.
That was NOT my experience for an “A” student-- at a top college prep HS, to boot. I heard the same thing from Oberlin, the (7) Claremont Colleges, MIT, CalTech, Wash U, Johns Hopkins, Williams, Amherst, etc.

In my experience along with talking to multiple other people elite D3 schools do provide the football coach (and other sports as well I am sure) certain number of spots in an incoming class. Obviously these students need to have very good grades and test scores although not necessarily at the level of a regular student. I know first hand that U of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Amherst, Bowdoin and Pitzer all allow football coaches to submit recruits for admission. It is my understanding that the Ivy league has a tiered system that allows a specific number of admissions per tier for athletic recruits. I cannot speak for MIT, CalTech or Wash U but the schools I mentioned most certainly gets spots for the athletic teams.

In my experience along with talking to multiple other people elite D3 schools do provide the football coach (and other sports as well I am sure) certain number of spots in an incoming class. Obviously these students need to have very good grades and test scores although not necessarily at the level of a regular student. I know first hand that U of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Amherst, Bowdoin and Pitzer all allow football coaches to submit recruits for admission. It is my understanding that the Ivy league has a tiered system that allows a specific number of admissions per tier for athletic recruits. I cannot speak for MIT, CalTech or Wash U but the schools I mentioned most certainly gets spots for the athletic teams.
I think we may be having a debate over semantics here— i.e.- what the meaning of “submit recruits for admission” is— that does NOT mean what it means at the Ivy’s— at the Ivy’s (and Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc.), the academic standard for a student to be admitted as a recruited athlete is indisputably lower than it is for the rest of the student body— there should be no debate about that— if you are one of the three basketball players that Yale’s coach designates for his “recruiting slots”, then, if you meet a (much) more modest academic standard than the rest of the ”open admissions” students have to meet, you will be admitted.

If you are applying to Chicago, Carnegie-Mellon, Amherst, Pitzer, Hopkins, MIT, CalTech, or Wash U, etc., you will need to meet (essentially) the same academic standard as the rest of the school’s applicants— the only difference is that, if you are “on par” with other candidates, and the athletic coach has indicated that he would like to have you— that yields a (small) bump in preference over somebody else (with similar academic credentials) that does NOT have that athletic coach’s backing— it is small boost, but FAR from decisive. It is the differentiator, when you are already in the mix, as a viable candidate, on your own academic merits. It will NOT be enough to get a “C” or even a “B” student admitted to the best of those schools.

This is the way the coach at Wash U described the process to me-- and that version was essentially confirmed to me by the coaches at Oberlin, Hopkins, and MIT. The Wash U coach even elaborated by saying that, if he pushed too hard, he risked having the admissions office turn on him, and actually become biased against his preferred admission candidates.

McCaughey- Penn, EKU, Toledo, Yale, Ohio U, BGSU, EMU, Kent St., Akron

Klare- Kent St

Parker- ECU, Ball St., Marshall, Kent St, EKU, Tulane, Air Force, Miami, BGSU, EMU, Princeton, Penn, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Akron, Toledo, Pitt

Kellom - EKU

Lyons- Ball St., Lehigh, Air Force

Collins- EMU, WVU, Louisville, Toledo, Akron, Penn, App State, Marshall, EKU, Air Force, Kent St., Tulane, Ohio U, BGSU, CMU

Vransky- Air force (Lacrosse)

Buerkle – MAC Schools, UK interest

Kirk- UC, MAC interest

I think if he can stay healthy, Anderson will get some looks at DB, and Nolan should get some interest if they can ever find him a home. Any others? Class of '23 or '24?

Klare, McHaughey, and Lyons are going to get some big time D1A offers. These three have been under the radar. Just a matter of time.

So much of offers from the bigger schools comes to fitting the position profile regarding size and speed. For example look at Paris Johnson and Matt Bockhort. Paris has an NFL frame and early in his HS career was the best prospect in the country, but at that time may not have been playing as the best linemen in the country because he had only played a few games at LT and was still getting used to his growth. But OSU knew with his size and feet he'd have a shot at the NFL and he got some snaps in the final four this year. Matt Bockhorst was a starter at Clemson, he is almost 6'4" and Ohio State didn't even offer as at that time OSU only recruited O-Linemen 6'5" and up. He didn't fit the profile, glad for him and Clemson he fit theirs.

Applying that concept to current guys:

Lyons will definitely get more MAC offers as one school already in, others will follow. Power 5's will be based on his forty time. They'll be looking for 4'5's or low 4.6's. If he runs that he can pick his spot. In today's spread offense world LB's are not the big run stuffers of old, rather have to cover in space.

Same applies to Kirk, he is in a speed position, I think he was high 4'6's. If that improves he'll have plenty of offers.

Nolan is likely D3 for those same reasons, unless he as been going to camps as a QB and lighting those up, which get him on the QB board.

Last, in todays world recruiters rely much less on input from the HS coach. In the old days the HS coach called a college coach and said take this kid, he's great player and even better person, and they would. Now these recruiter guys spend too much time looking at the stopwatch, tape measure and weight scale. Frustrates Coach Specht to no end.

Hoping for the best for all these guys and others not mentioned.

So much of offers from the bigger schools comes to fitting the position profile regarding size and speed. For example look at Paris Johnson and Matt Bockhort. Paris has an NFL frame and early in his HS career was the best prospect in the country, but at that time may not have been playing as the best linemen in the country because he had only played a few games at LT and was still getting used to his growth. But OSU knew with his size and feet he'd have a shot at the NFL and he got some snaps in the final four this year. Matt Bockhorst was a starter at Clemson, he is almost 6'4" and Ohio State didn't even offer as at that time OSU only recruited O-Linemen 6'5" and up. He didn't fit the profile, glad for him and Clemson he fit theirs.

Applying that concept to current guys:

Lyons will definitely get more MAC offers as one school already in, others will follow. Power 5's will be based on his forty time. They'll be looking for 4'5's or low 4.6's. If he runs that he can pick his spot. In today's spread offense world LB's are not the big run stuffers of old, rather have to cover in space.

Same applies to Kirk, he is in a speed position, I think he was high 4'6's. If that improves he'll have plenty of offers.

Nolan is likely D3 for those same reasons, unless he as been going to camps as a QB and lighting those up, which get him on the QB board.

Last, in todays world recruiters rely much less on input from the HS coach. In the old days the HS coach called a college coach and said take this kid, he's great player and even better person, and they would. Now these recruiter guys spend too much time looking at the stopwatch, tape measure and weight scale. Frustrates Coach Specht to no end.

Hoping for the best for all these guys and others not mentioned.
Cannot agree more, it's all about measurables instead of production, which is a shame. It is the Luke Kuechly story- kid was a machine, but only graded out as a 3 star recruit. Watching PJ as a junior, he was a decent player, obviously great size, but never stood out as the #1 lineman in the country. I think if Renneker and Koch were a couple inches taller, they would have a few offers as well. Nolan has good size for a WR, almost too tall for CB at 6'3". Hudl has his forty time listed at 4.62. He's been plagued by his best position being the most loaded position this team has.