Scheduling / Harbin

cincyelder

Hearing there are teams like the the 4 in the GCL South that are having a hard time scheduling to 10 games year in and year out. Often there are match-ups that should happen but because of the possible Harbin ramifications, they don't play or the schools opt to drop the series. Ive heard ADs specifically cite "we cant afford to risk that loss" OR "They are so bad we cant afford to play them. Also, teams are having to play multiple teams from out of state just to get to 10 games. Not to mention what happened to Winton Woods who only played 9 games this past season who was clearly better than the bottom couple teams that made it.

What if for Harbin, teams used their best 8 vs. all 10 games? Would the freedom of 2 "freebies" loosen things up or would teams then similarly game it. I suppose some teams may go 10-0 and possibly not make it because their 2 freebies didn't help them while a 7-3 or 6-4 made it.

Maybe there is no fix except "everyone makes it"

dhsdog06

Some kind of points for losses? Maybe a quarter or a half, just some incentive to schedule tough while still putting an increased emphasis on winning.

ghsknightsfan

this is an interesting idea. it could eliminate the problem of being stuck in a conference with one or two god awful teams. Greenon has this problem (Cedarville and Catholic Central). and for teams who always have a tough conference slate, it would give them some leniency for the OOC portion (the MAC). to clarify, this means your harbins are based on your best 8 games?

bkmk1

I personally think 2 things regarding this issue:
1. The math that goes into the Harbin is PATHETIC! (And I know many will disagree.). That's OK. But it is worthless. The formula without question needs to be re-thought out because it is garbage. Especially Level 2 points. I like the idea of computer points to qualify, but garbage in, garbage out.
2. I would love to see 2 regions in each division with 16 teams. Top 12 get in based on either the pathetic current Harbin or a tweaked Harbin formal. 4 would get in as an at large decided by a committee that can pick them based on who got left out of the computer 12, that they believe are better than others that got in or simply based on who they believe are the next best 4. That would give those teams that have those brutal schedules because teams run from them, a deserved shot at getting in. I, like others, hate when a team or teams get in and EVERYONE knows that there are teams that are not as good getting in ahead of them. And it happens a lot. And THAT makes no sense. Plus when you hear that a team is better off not playing a game than playing team "Y" and winning, that tells me a lot as well. That is a joke. The Harbin system is truly flawed.

FYI: this post is not to start an argument. I'm just expressing my opinion. I have no intention in getting into a back and forth disagreement over this. I will very much read other people's responses and opinions and will respect them, but will read and not respond at all. I know that it could get ugly. I get on yappi for fun and the passion of Ohio HS football, not to argue.

The Dock

Hearing there are teams like the the 4 in the GCL South that are having a hard time scheduling to 10 games year in and year out. Often there are match-ups that should happen but because of the possible Harbin ramifications, they don't play or the schools opt to drop the series. Ive heard ADs specifically cite "we cant afford to risk that loss" OR "They are so bad we cant afford to play them. Also, teams are having to play multiple teams from out of state just to get to 10 games. Not to mention what happened to Winton Woods who only played 9 games this past season who was clearly better than the bottom couple teams that made it.

What if for Harbin, teams used their best 8 vs. all 10 games? Would the freedom of 2 "freebies" loosen things up or would teams then similarly game it. I suppose some teams may go 10-0 and possibly not make it because their 2 freebies didn't help them while a 7-3 or 6-4 made it.

Maybe there is no fix except "everyone makes it"
This is along the lines of something I suggested during last season: set the L2 divisor to (n - 1) x Σ all games played by n - 1 opponents. So if you played ten games, it would be 9 x Σ games played by your opponents. ‘n - 1’ so as to drop the worst L2 gain. While I understand the current discussion is in the context of being “penalized for playing a tough schedule”, one concrete issue happening is the L2 average of many teams taking a hit because a league opponent of theirs goes 0-10. The Harbin system is designed to reward the scheduling of quality competition, if you were to win. That’s all fair and well, but when an 0-10 team you’re mandated to play can drop your team a few places in the regional top eight (or possibly sink you out of the playoffs!), it can generate some perverse motivations going forward.

HighSchoolFB45

I personally think 2 things regarding this issue:
1. The math that goes into the Harbin is PATHETIC! (And I know many will disagree.). That's OK. But it is worthless. The formula without question needs to be re-thought out because it is garbage. Especially Level 2 points. I like the idea of computer points to qualify, but garbage in, garbage out.
2. I would love to see 2 regions in each division with 16 teams. Top 12 get in based on either the pathetic current Harbin or a tweaked Harbin formal. 4 would get in as an at large decided by a committee that can pick them based on who got left out of the computer 12, that they believe are better than others that got in or simply based on who they believe are the next best 4. That would give those teams that have those brutal schedules because teams run from them, a deserved shot at getting in. I, like others, hate when a team or teams get in and EVERYONE knows that there are teams that are not as good getting in ahead of them. And it happens a lot. And THAT makes no sense. Plus when you hear that a team is better off not playing a game than playing team "Y" and winning, that tells me a lot as well. That is a joke. The Harbin system is truly flawed.

FYI: this post is not to start an argument. I'm just expressing my opinion. I have no intention in getting into a back and forth disagreement over this. I will very much read other people's responses and opinions and will respect them, but will read and not respond at all. I know that it could get ugly. I get on yappi for fun and the passion of Ohio HS football, not to argue.
Who would the committee consist of? Nobody can watch every game and know how good teams are like the college football committee. It’s a lot different for Ohio High School Football. Maybe it’s different for D1 schools, but no one is going to know exactly how Stuebenville, Mansfield Senior, Norwalk, Wapakoneta, Trotwood, and Mount Healthy are compared to each other. Or Kirtland, Ironton, Eastwood and CHCA. A lot of teams will get in based on just name or relationships between athletic directors/coaches and the committee.

ghsknightsfan

while i think a committee would be very interesting and fun i just think human bias will play a role. if someone is picking between Greenon and i don’t know.. West Liberty Salem, they could pick WLS as they are a program more known for being good at football. media attention will also play a big part in it. (this was not a shot at West Liberty-Salem, i have great respect for the tigers and am just making an example!)

Raider6309

Not putting together a damn committee to help six school out of 732. The six are Moeller, Lasalle, Xavier, Elder, Ignatius and Ed’s. Your methods of recruiting has given you this situation now deal with it. Play each other twice for all we care but don’t expect us to solve your schedule problems.
They will recruit an areas best athletes and wonder why they won’t play them