Rule clarification

If a wrestler gets disqualified for biting at an event, he has to miss two matches. does that event count as one of the two. So for example a wrestler bit someone the week before state duals, we have nothing until the regional the wrestler sits the regional. Does he have to sit the state dual finals as well?

4) Ejection for Unsporting Conduct —and/or Flagrant Misconduct (7th-12th grades)
Any wrestler or coach ejected or disqualified for unsporting conduct or flagrant foul shall be ineligible for all wrestling contests for the remainder of that day and event. In addition, he/she shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in wrestling until two regular season/tournament contest points or two event days at the same level as the ejection or disqualification. Any wrestler or coach shall be ineligible for all levels of OHSAA tournaments (dual team and individual) until the ejection consequence has been completed. Each level of the OHSAA Dual Team Tournament is qualified as a one-day tournament.

My understanding is that if he sat out the regional duals, he therefore sat out of a 2 point event (even though they don't count as actual points toward the schedule it says in the last sentence that I have in bold that it IS recognized as a one-day tournament ..ie 2 points....) and so he WOULD be eligible this weekend, but I'd check with Tyler Brooks obviously.

He had to miss 2 schedule points, missing the regional is the equivalent of 2 points. So he will be eligible to wrestle Sunday.
That is my interpretation, email Tyler Brooks to double check. I bet Travis already did.

He had to miss 2 schedule points, missing the regional is the equivalent of 2 points. So he will be eligible to wrestle Sunday.
That is my interpretation, email Tyler Brooks to double check. I bet Travis already did.
I bet he did, just trying to see what I could be up against.

From my understanding, State duals are not a regular-season event they are considered a postseason event. They do not count as points on your schedule and are free points. I do not believe it counts towards a suspension.

What if the qualifying infraction was at a post season event? And does anyone know if setting out two events of the next sports seasonal ( track) would cover any obligation for wrestling? Considering the regular wrestling season was over at time of infraction. Rules are somewhat ambiguous as far as penalty would roll over into next season and be confined to wrestling

From my understanding, State duals are not a regular-season event they are considered a postseason event. They do not count as points on your schedule and are free points. I do not believe it counts towards a suspension.
Section 4 (PAGE 182) That Jason Roush copy and pasted 3 posts above yours specifically states the regional is treated as a 2 point event for suspension purposes..

Also, is there an official process as to establishing an official ejection, paperwork, inquiry made as to satisfaction? Etc? Anyone know? Does an AD receive official notification of a penalty infraction and satisfaction requirements?

If an ejection happens, the school/athlete have to meet the procedures of the ejection.

The official failing to report the ejection is on the OFFICIAL. It does NOT absolve the school/athlete from serving the suspension.

I have not seen the match in question. So I am not informed of the entire situation. That being said... I had a senior my junior year get called for a bite while he was getting cross faced. I honestly believe the cross face caused the bite knowing the kid....

So it really depends on the situation.

As a coach myself, and specifically knowing with this team, which will be potentially going for a team title... there are a lot of factors to consider before making the claim he should be done anyway...

Is this an isolated incident outside of this kids character?

Is there real accountability being taken by the athlete at this point would taking an excessive punishment than required do more harm than good for the individual and team as a whole?

It's not a black and white concept.

If you were a coach and the kid really bit another guy why would you let him wrestle regardless of the rules?
Because mistakes happen and these are kids. That is why it is a 2 point penalty and not a lifetime ban.
Are you saying if you were the coach you would kick off any and every kid that bit?
To me that is harsh, there are consequences for sure, but I would not hand out a lifetime ban, for 1 mistake. Now maybe if there was a history or a pattern of biting, but I can not see kicking a kid off the team for 1 bite.

I had a wrestler get ejected from our league tournament a few years ago. The opposing wrestler threw a punch at my kid. The opposing coach yelled that my kid threw a punch. Without seeing it, the ref threw my kid out. I threw a fit to no avail. (If my kid threw the punch, I would have sent his butt home) But anyways, another ref at the tournament watched the film. After seeing the film, he told the ref that he tossed the wrong kid out. Mind you, my kid would have had to sit out the sectional the following week. The ref that originally tossed my kid out, after being told that he ejected the wrong kid, didnt turn in the paperwork for the ejection. My kid was able to wrestle at the sectional since the paperwork was not turned in. I believe the ref ended up getting reprimanded for not turning in the paperwork. As I have stopped coaching, I have not been able to speak with the ref about it and not sure that I should if I do see him. Although my wrestler was wrongly dqed from the league championship, I applaud the ref for not turning in the paperwork thus my kid could wrestle at the sectional the next week. As for my feelings for the opposing coach, well. I wont go there. I couldnt imagine dong that to a kid. ( That coach had a kid get dqed from sectional last year for punching and breaking school facilities) Its sad when morals are not taught to these kids

The individual who was ejected for biting did not compete at the regional dual meet tournament.

I do not know if the interpretation of the suspension rule is such that sitting out the regional dual meet tournament satisfies the suspension. From a "spirit of the rule" standpoint, I would think it should, but OHSAA will make its ruling on the matter and that will be that.

To simplify, a wrestler must sit 2 events. Now if you have a 2 day tournament that would count for 1 event, and if you were to have a dual following that then that would be your 2nd. A Regional dual meet or state dual meet would only count as 1. And with the post season looming, this wrestler, if, i it occurred before the regional, he would have to sit the regional , and would have to sit the state dual if they qualified. If they did not qualifiy, he would need one more weigh in to sit out to be eligible for sectionals

Actually it says for wrestling they have to sit out 2 points or 2 event days. If the next competition is a 2 point tournament, they would only have to sit out 1 event (worth 2 points). At least, that's the way I read it.

14. Ejection for Unsporting Conduct (Disqualification for unsporting conduct or flagrant violation) 14.1) In the sport of wrestling, any player ejected or disqualified for unsporting conduct or flagrant foul shall be ineligible for all wrestling contests for the remainder of that day and event. In addition, he/she shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in wrestling until two regular season/tournament contest points or two event days at the same level as the ejection or disqualification have been completed.

To simplify, a wrestler must sit 2 events. Now if you have a 2 day tournament that would count for 1 event, and if you were to have a dual following that then that would be your 2nd. A Regional dual meet or state dual meet would only count as 1. And with the post season looming, this wrestler, if, i it occurred before the regional, he would have to sit the regional , and would have to sit the state dual if they qualified. If they did not qualifiy, he would need one more weigh in to sit out to be eligible for sectionals
That is just wrong.
It says two event points... a one day tournament is 2pts.

4) Ejection for Unsporting Conduct —and/or Flagrant Misconduct (7th-12th grades)
Any wrestler or coach ejected or disqualified for unsporting conduct or flagrant foul shall be ineligible for all wrestling contests for the remainder of that day and event. In addition, he/she shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in wrestling until two regular season/tournament contest points or two event days at the same level as the ejection or disqualification. Any wrestler or coach shall be ineligible for all levels of OHSAA tournaments (dual team and individual) until the ejection consequence has been completed. Each level of the OHSAA Dual Team Tournament is qualified as a one-day tournament.

So to simplify factual information...

two contest points.....OHSAA Dual Team Tournament is qualified as a one-day tournament (2pts)

The specific rule from the rules book says.... 2 points it also goes so far to say that a round of the OHSAA Dual tournament qualifies as a 2pt event.

That is just wrong.
It says two event points... a one day tournament is 2pts.

So to simplify factual information...

two contest points.....OHSAA Dual Team Tournament is qualified as a one-day tournament (2pts)

The specific rule from the rules book says.... 2 points it also goes so far to say that a round of the OHSAA Dual tournament qualifies as a 2pt event.
My apologies, I got ohio mixed up with another state I officiate, Sometimes it gets confusing with the different rules, varying from st to st