Rule Changes, what would you change or create?

It would be over 250 in EACH division A and AA. And like 35 each in the other 4 divisions.

As I said, bad idea.
Well I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about it because it's not going to happen. And the name of the thread is what would you change. And I gave my response. Thanks for your feed back and have a great day.

Could you imagine if all levels of football got rid of forward progress. Would it make spotting easier? I know there would be more safeties.

I'm not too sure about the current defensive pass interference calls. I don't think they are automatic first downs, just a 15 yard penalty. If so, it should become a 15 yard automatic first down.

I dont know if they have changed the spiking calls. As far as I know you have to be under center. This ought to be allowed in shotgun as well.

I also wonder if teams know about the Fair Catch-Free Kick Rule. When a team punts the ball then the team can either take the ball at the line of scrimmage or take a free kick from where the ball is caught. If a team chooses to do so, there is no rush, defenders are to 10 yards off of the ball. The free kick team stands behind the LOS. There is no tee involved, so the ball is either drop kicked or held with a holder. I believe a couple pro teams have done it recently.

Could you imagine if all levels of football got rid of forward progress. Would it make spotting easier? I know there would be more safeties.
Going to be more injuries too if every play ends with the player being taken to the ground, which is why they created "forward progress" in the first place.
I'm not too sure about the current defensive pass interference calls. I don't think they are automatic first downs, just a 15 yard penalty. If so, it should become a 15 yard automatic first down.
Not an automatic first down. I was told the vote this year was 23-24, and it takes 2/3's to pass. So not even close to being changed.
I dont know if they have changed the spiking calls. As far as I know you have to be under center. This ought to be allowed in shotgun as well.
Changed that a couple of years ago.
I also wonder if teams know about the Fair Catch-Free Kick Rule. When a team punts the ball then the team can either take the ball at the line of scrimmage or take a free kick from where the ball is caught. If a team chooses to do so, there is no rush, defenders are to 10 yards off of the ball. The free kick team stands behind the LOS. There is no tee involved, so the ball is either drop kicked or held with a holder. I believe a couple pro teams have done it recently.
I'll guess that most coaches are aware of the rule, although maybe not all the particulars. I know some officials who think coaches should do this all the time. They are wrong.

If the fair catch is made on the 35 yard line (which would be an average punt) you're talking about a 45 yard field goal. That's very long for most high school kids, and if you miss the opponent gets the ball on the 20, after you just made them punt from the end zone! And we all know that if the punt is caught on the 35 the coach is thinking touchdown, not field goal. The only time it would really come into play is with very little time left in the half. It just doesn't happen very often.

And you can use a kicking tee.

If the punter is pinned deep, and we were down 1-2 points, I'd be tempted to do it if it was a bad punt. I'd have to have a lot of faith in my kicker, and would probably only do it before the half ends. Doing this to win a game would be gutsy, then again its just like hitting a pre-game FG. No pressure on long snapper or holder, just kick the ball like you do in practice, if you are a good kicker.

Last edited:
Going to be more injuries too if every play ends with the player being taken to the ground, which is why they created "forward progress" in the first place.

Not an automatic first down. I was told the vote this year was 23-24, and it takes 2/3's to pass. So not even close to being changed.

Changed that a couple of years ago.

I'll guess that most coaches are aware of the rule, although maybe not all the particulars. I know some officials who think coaches should do this all the time. They are wrong.

If the fair catch is made on the 35 yard line (which would be an average punt) you're talking about a 45 yard field goal. That's very long for most high school kids, and if you miss the opponent gets the ball on the 20, after you just made them punt from the end zone! And we all know that if the punt is caught on the 35 the coach is thinking touchdown, not field goal. The only time it would really come into play is with very little time left in the half. It just doesn't happen very often.

And you can use a kicking tee.
I have seen it attempted twice. Both times were in a playoff game and both were successfully converted.

Remember that it has to be a Fair Catch... so by intentionally punting the ball so that it bounces or goes out of bounds, the free kick cannot be granted.

So it's rewarding them for not scoring points?

That seems weird.
No high school should follow the same rules as college. Missing a kick and taking a chance that it might go in but in most cases it’ll be a punt so either way they got something good out of it. If you think a kicker is good enough to kick from 50 yards out then the ball should be spotted where that play started. It shouldn’t be advanced to the 20 that’s stupid

No high school should follow the same rules as college. Missing a kick and taking a chance that it might go in but in most cases it’ll be a punt so either way they got something good out of it. If you think a kicker is good enough to kick from 50 yards out then the ball should be spotted where that play started. It shouldn’t be advanced to the 20 that’s stupid
Because you say so and for no other reason.

Got it.

I really do not like this rule at any level. When the offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, and then the defense automatically gets the ball. That makes no sense to me. Give the ball to the offense at the spot of the fumble. The defense never recovered the fumble, so why should they get the ball. Just 1 mans opinion.

I really do not like this rule at any level. When the offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, and then the defense automatically gets the ball. That makes no sense to me. Give the ball to the offense at the spot of the fumble. The defense never recovered the fumble, so why should they get the ball. Just 1 mans opinion.
I think there are people at every level who agree with you. Rules makers, or at least officials, dislike exceptions. So change the rule to; anytime the offense fumbles the ball forward out of bounds, it goes back to the offense at the spot of the fumble.

How would that be?

I think there are people at every level who agree with you. Rules makers, or at least officials, dislike exceptions. So change the rule to; anytime the offense fumbles the ball forward out of bounds, it goes back to the offense at the spot of the fumble.

How would that be?
There is one circumstance where the defense gets possession of a fumble without recovering it, correct? If so, that sounds like an exception to me.

How would that be?
I'm on board with that.

There is one circumstance where the defense gets possession of a fumble without recovering it, correct? If so, that sounds like an exception to me.
No, and there is another rule involved.

Maybe the problem is just not easily resolved.

Rule change to stop awarding the defense for holding on a pass play. If team A drops back to pass on offense and team B holds a receiver causing him not to be open and the QB gets sacked for a 10 yard loss. That play is considered a run play and the defensive holding penalty is marked off from the end of the play. This actually encourages defenders to hold and without a doubt is taught. The penalty should be from the original LOS. Awarding breaking/bending the rules is completely wrong…. I digress

The rule was changed in the NFL and NCAA for two reasons....

1) To promote scoring
2) Long Field Goal attempts were either a score or the defense got the ball on the 20

At those levels, all the kickers have the ability to score from 50+. The rule change put a premium on the accuracy.

In High School, the vast majority of the kickers do not have the ability to score from 50+. Instead, teams go for it on 4th down from the 35 instead of kicking a field goal. The 15 yard difference is acceptable to the coaches.... 25+yards... not so much.

That actually was proposed years ago...... Coaches laughed at the proposal and it never reached the discussion level of the change process.

It hasn't been seriously recommended since.

That actually was proposed years ago...... Coaches laughed at the proposal and it never reached the discussion level of the change process.

It hasn't been seriously recommended since.
I don't understand why coaches would want that rule other than that's the rule in college and the NFL as well as at every level from kids programs up. So they probably don't want to buck the system. But the rule (IMHO) make NO sense.

The rule was changed in the NFL and NCAA for two reasons....

1) To promote scoring
2) Long Field Goal attempts were either a score or the defense got the ball on the 20

At those levels, all the kickers have the ability to score from 50+. The rule change put a premium on the accuracy.

In High School, the vast majority of the kickers do not have the ability to score from 50+. Instead, teams go for it on 4th down from the 35 instead of kicking a field goal. The 15 yard difference is acceptable to the coaches.... 25+yards... not so much.
Promote scoring by who?