Rule Changes, what would you change or create?

LCL

I posted this on the NFL forum as well. But would what you change or create?

1. When an offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, it's not a touchback. The offense keeps the ball at the spot of the fumble.
2. 7 classifications to 6.
3. Divisions I-IV are schools that aren't a private school and don't have open enrollment by size. Division A are privates/open enrollment big schools. Division AA are privates/open enrollment small schools.

Pass interference - Defense is punished far too harshly for incidental contact

Illegal Men Downfield - The rule needs to be enforced, with the RPO how can you defend anything if you can get the OL down field?

Unnecessary roughness - Unless the hit could be avoided it's not unnecessary. There are times when violent contact is unavoidable, stop rewarding the offense for putting their guys at risk

I hate the way hitting a player running out of bounds is enforced. If it's obvious, I get it. If the runner is tiptoeing down the sideline, and the ref can't blow his whistle in time, why is it the defender's obligation to know if the runner is out-of-bounds or not?

1. When an offense fumbles the ball out of the end zone, it's not a touchback. The offense keeps the ball at the spot of the fumble.
3. Divisions I-IV are schools that aren't a private school and don't have open enrollment by size. Division A are privates/open enrollment big schools. Division AA are privates/open enrollment small schools.
I like #3

I like #3

What are the numbers on that? I don't think D1-4 are going to have very many schools. And by fairness if public and private are to be in the same organization, shouldn't an open enrollment private operating under fixed boundaries have the same access to those divisions?

Illegal Men Downfield - The rule needs to be enforced, with the RPO how can you defend anything if you can get the OL down field?

Unnecessary roughness - Unless the hit could be avoided it's not unnecessary. There are times when violent contact is unavoidable, stop rewarding the offense for putting their guys at risk
Couldn't agree more!!

Okay, how about Hockey Style shoot outs for OT. Start at the 10 yard line. Each kicker exchanges kicks until one misses. If both miss on a try, then move the ball forward 5 yards and restart from there.

As far as kickoffs are concerned, I would like to see 1 point rewarded if a kicker kicks it thru the uprights.

If you wanted to eliminate the running, then have KOR line up in a formation and the Kickoff team lined up directly across from them. Reinforces getting on and off blocks. Make the kickoff return formation lines regulated with a 5-5-1 format. Just throwing out ideas to change kickoff.

One man's incidental contact is another man's felony assault. If it's incidental it shouldn't be called anyway.
Officials are getting better at looking for this, but they liberalized the rules a couple of years ago. One step forward, one step back.
Almost never gets called, unless you thinking of something else.

One man's incidental contact is another man's felony assault. If it's incidental it shouldn't be called anyway.

Officials are getting better at looking for this, but they liberalized the rules a couple of years ago. One step forward, one step back.

Almost never gets called, unless you thinking of something else.
I've seen it called a bunch with specifically slants thrown right into a LB, big collision and a flag despite there being nothing illegal about the hit

I've seen it called a bunch with specifically slants thrown right into a LB, big collision and a flag despite there being nothing illegal about the hit
There's nothing in the rules about big collisions being illegal.

Apparently you disagree with the judgment of the calling officials on those plays, which is fine.

This was discussed on ESPNU this morning on the drive to work.

What to do about defensive players who get "injured" during a drive simply to slow that offensive drive. One solution posed was to force that player to sit out the remainder of that drive. Which IMO is not a horrible solution. Also mentioned was, if the coach wants that player to go back in they have to then be forced to burn a time out. I could see coaches having to pocket a TO for late in the game for such purposes and maybe even designating a defensive sub or two off the bench as "fall guys". Guys who can take a dive, get taken out of the series, and there be no real loss to the defense.

Alright Billy, wanna earn that varsity letter? Yea coach!!! Ok, now go in there and fall down for me. You got it coach!!!!

Personally I'd like to see field goals from beyond a certain yardage be awarded additional points beyond the historical and current 3 points. So like a 50 yarder is worth a touchdown. 30-49 yards could be 4 or 5 points. Anything inside 29 yards is still 3 points.

If you can get it through the goal posts on the kick off you get points right off the rip. The receiving team still gets the ball out on the 20 / 25 or whatever but award that kicker some points.

Make it / take it rules..like in 3 on 3. You score, you keep the ball. Also, losers take the walk.

Have a set amount of points to get to and you win automatically. For example in a wrestling dual match once you get to 42 points or beyond the remainder of the dual is non sense team score wise. You're just wrestling the remaining matches for the individual wrestlers. Apply this to football. First one to say 60 points wins. Could be in the 2nd quarter, could happen in the first few minutes of the 4th quarter.

Each time out is worth a point. So if you finish the game and haven't used a time out all game you get those time outs translated into points.

Riding time like in college wrestling. Except in football it would be more like you get 1 point for every 5 minutes of offensive possession.

Thoughts???

Last edited:
There's nothing in the rules about big collisions being illegal.

Apparently you disagree with the judgment of the calling officials on those plays, which is fine.
It's not that big collisions are illegal by definition but they are called "Unnecessary Roughness" far more often than not. Especially if an offensive player is hurt by the collision. Offenses have taken advantage of this and thrown into more and more dangerous windows knowing they will likely get a call to bail them out of something goes wrong. There needs to be a large emphasis on what is actually "unnecessary" about a hit

It's not that big collisions are illegal by definition but they are called "Unnecessary Roughness" far more often than not. Especially if an offensive player is hurt by the collision. Offenses have taken advantage of this and thrown into more and more dangerous windows knowing they will likely get a call to bail them out of something goes wrong. There needs to be a large emphasis on what is actually "unnecessary" about a hit
I can tell you that this observation of yours (bunch of unnecessary roughness calls) has never been voiced by coaches around Ohio, or the country for that matter.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing "unnecessary roughness" with "targeting" calls. Those types of routes you describe are the prime breeding ground for illegal hits.

If so, you can forget any chance of those going away.

What are the numbers on that? I don't think D1-4 are going to have very many schools. And by fairness if public and private are to be in the same organization, shouldn't an open enrollment private operating under fixed boundaries have the same access to those divisions?
I probably should restate that to be: 6 classifications
Divisons A - Big school non-boundry schools.
Division AA - small school non-boundry schools.
Divison I-IV - all others by size.

Love this idea!

Kickoffs are starting to go away at the youth level, so the kicking game is behind the 8-ball if you will by the time players reach the high school level.

I really, really think this is the best way to preserve kickoffs for the future.
Current NFHS rule;

varsity - regular kickoff rules

JV - KO only if both coaches agree, which in the games is see, almost never happens.

7, 8, 9 - no kickoffs

on a PAT if defense gets penalty for encroachment but ball is kicked and good, the kicking team should be able to take the made extra point. Yes, I know some will say, well they should make it again, but there are plenty of schools who struggle to find kickers and miss that second attempt.

The last unnecessary roughness I saw flagged was in 2018 on a retaliatory hit by a kid not involved in the play about 3 seconds after the whistle.