Round 2 SW OH Sectionals

Rebel1975

Bye weeks are done.....games start to get better. Any games peak interest?

I like this matchup: Oak Hills vs Kings -- two teams you want to avoid imo. I was impressed with the size and speed of OH and Kings has some players that can create opportunities but also can be vulnerable to the counter (strength of OH)

Mariemont gets underway....shouldn't have any trouble these first couple of games. However, they need to be careful---"extremely talented in the attack" and they know they are good...almost to fault in that they can play to the level of the competition knowing in the end they will finish the game on top...that's playing with fire in the tourney (particularly with this region)

Other matchups of note

Anderson vs. Lakota West
Moeller vs. Milford
Colerain vs. Turpin

DII
Ross vs Bellbrook
Indian Hill vs Taylor
Badin vs Alter

DIII
CCD vs Georgetown

Bellbrook 9
Ross 1

It will be Monroe vs Bellbrook for the third time this season on Monday.
SWBL's top three go 3 and oh tonight.

Milford 2 Moeller 1. Milford looked good. We just can’t have lapses on D. Moeller has holes but lack of offense is evident.

Oakwood-Alter up next. Should be a great game. Alter is starting to look like Alter again, after an uncharacteristic 2-3 start. Tossup game, IMO.
Sorry Hawk.....don't see an Alter way to winning. Carroll beat Alter 6-2.......Oakwood beat Carroll 3-0. Alter is Alter....but not enough this season.

It’s still early, but looks like for the most part seeds have been correct.
#10 Walnut Hills and #14 Colerain are still alive and playing in a district semi-final. They’ve got St. X and Mason. Would love to see atleast one of them carry the torch for the underdog story!

Since this thread is dealing with SWO, there are a couple milestones worthy of mention:

* Scott Molfenter, currently with Dayton Carroll (earlier with Milton-Union), became the second Ohio Boys Soccer coach to win 500 games. Mario Gerhardt (Chagrin Falls and West Geauga) is first with a total of 542 wins. Congrats Scott!

* Tippecanoe currently has a 42 game unbeaten streak. That ranks in Ohio's top ten. I believe Carroll has the longest streak at over 60 straight unbeaten...65 maybe? (St. Ignatius had a long streak too...61 maybe?). The defending D2 State champion Tipp is 41-0-1 during that streak (a 2-2 tie at Alter last year is their only "blemish"). They have outscored opponents 114-4 this year ?. I understand they haven't played the toughest schedule, but they still don't seem to be getting much respect, IMO. As always, the tournament will tell.

Since this thread is dealing with SWO, there are a couple milestones worthy of mention:

* Scott Molfenter, currently with Dayton Carroll (earlier with Milton-Union), became the second Ohio Boys Soccer coach to win 500 games. Mario Gerhardt (Chagrin Falls and West Geauga) is first with a total of 542 wins. Congrats Scott!

* Tippecanoe currently has a 42 game unbeaten streak. That ranks in Ohio's top ten. I believe Carroll has the longest streak at over 60 straight unbeaten...65 maybe? (St. Ignatius had a long streak too...61 maybe?). The defending D2 State champion Tipp is 41-0-1 during that streak (a 2-2 tie at Alter last year is their only "blemish"). They have outscored opponents 114-4 this year ?. I understand they haven't played the toughest schedule, but they still don't seem to be getting much respect, IMO. As always, the tournament will tell.
What about Molfenter's high school coach, George Demetriades? How many did he have?

What about Molfenter's high school coach, George Demetriades? How many did he have?

I don't know. Demetriades was certainly a pioneering legend in the Dayton area. He passed away last month at age 85. According to his obituary, he coached at Northmont from 1976-1992. Northmont was State Champion in 1978 and 1988; #3 in Nation in 1988.

According to OHSAA record books, here are the top ten, entering this season:

542 - Mario Gerhardt, Chagrin Falls (1970-2016), West Geauga (21-12-5) 542-272-116
485 - Scott Molfenter, Dayton Carroll (1992-2019) and West Milton Milton-Union (1990-1991) 468-68-48
480 - Shane Latham, Springfield Central Catholic (1986-2017) 480-133-46
462 - John Kissner, Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit (1978-2012)
427 - Mike McLaughlin, Cleveland St. Ignatius (1995-2019)
427 - John Guiliano, Beavercreek (1989-2018) 427-110-85
413 - Albert Laux, Findlay (1976-2007)
400 - Paul Boll, Wheelersburg (1986-2014) 400-102-41
399 - Bob "Wiz" Ellis, Kettering Archbishop Alter (1990-2019) 399-129-84
391 - Tom Mackar, Mentor (1973-2003)

NOTE: this list is probably not 100% accurate and/or updated.

Demetriades only coached 16-17 years and those in the top ten all have around 30 years (or more).

Bob Ellis of Alter reached 400 this year.

Last edited:
500 is within reach of Shane Latham at Springfield Catholic next season if he wants to return.
See above post.

OHSAA has Latham at #3 in Ohio with 480 wins, but that's only through 2017. I don't know much about Latham or if he's still coaching, but if he is, he must be close to 500.

Last edited:

The DII state rankings have confused me. Why would Tipp not be #1? They won state last year and are currently undefeated. I understand their schedule is not difficult due to them only playing conference teams, but if anyone deserves a 1 seed it seems like it should be them.

See above post.

OHSAA has Latham at #3 in Ohio with 480 wins, but that's only through 2017. I don't know much about Latham or if he's still coaching, but if he is, he must be close to 500.
Coach Latham did coach the 2020 season. Without looking I believe they won 7 or 8 this season. But he returns 9 starters including the leading scorer,his brother that lead in assists and the goalkeeper. On the other hand the league,OHC, is better than ever. They lost two weak programs and gained strong ones in Greenon and Fairbanks.

The DII state rankings have confused me. Why would Tipp not be #1? They won state last year and are currently undefeated. I understand their schedule is not difficult due to them only playing conference teams, but if anyone deserves a 1 seed it seems like it should be them.
I agree, and like someone else pointed out, they have a 42 game unbeaten streak. They haven’t lost since 2018. They also returned a good amount of kids from last years state championship team and have only allowed 4 goals all season.