Rootstown D3 Sectional 2-27

FirestoneFan

Just got the word that www.nwntv.com will be doing this sectional live Saturday. Not sure if video will be allowed day of but audio will. Should be a good one. We are trying to figure out the broadcasting because I think they will be wrestling in two gyms. I'll clue you in later in the week.

We are going to check. We usually did the Alliance district but that is out this year. We have sources at Rootstown and Alliance but I don't know anyone at Garfield Hts.

I'll go through Borofan and Bucksmans ranks and give a preview later today. Have to go measure a couple jobs. BTW the broadcast on Saturday is free. If anyone would like to help out we are looking for some advertising. Send me a PM.

First lets get the team stuff over with. I figure Rootstown to win handily over South Range. Matchups will matter but the Rovers by over 20.

This is a three man race. Edwards (Rootstown), Newell (South Range) and Simms (Wellsville).

All three of the mentioned should be wrestling in Garfield Hts. Edwards is looking to join his brother in Central Ohio in a couple weeks. Getting out a #1 here will help. Simms was a state alternate last season, finishing 2nd here. Newell was 5th last year at this sectional. This will be a good one with team points on the line. I'm guessing Edwards wins and either Simms or Newell to be 3rd. One will have to meet the Rover in a semi. Could be an upset but I don't see it at this weight.
This season Edwards has finished 1st at the Hephner (no small task) and 2nd at the PCT at 113. Newell has finshed 3rd in the EOWL, 1st at Jackson-Milton and 7th at the Hephner.

I have three wrestlers listed. Duncan (Chalker), Pahanish (S Range) and Colman (Rootstown)

Duncan is the favorite. He won by MD early in the year over Pahanish at Jackson-Milton. Pahanish is a 2X district qualifier and won't go down easy. Colman should be 3rd but we will see. Some team points there.

Cmil (S Range) is a very clear favorite. He has beaten Stallworth (Crestview) early in the year by a decisive margin. Stallworth and Duncan (Waterloo) have met with Stallworth winning 8-7 at the EOWL. I figure Hegarty (Senior-Chippewa ) is chomping at he bit to get to Garfield Hts after being an alternate the last 2 years. McEwuen is here now and while small could place top 4.

Note: Since 1st written the pre seed have come out. Hegarty and Duncan choose 126.

This weight is a no brainer. Hopefully Caleb Edwards gets it done in the Central part of the state this year. Markulin is a very solid #2 and should bring home a medal this year as well. I have Hancock from Canton CC next and then it is the field.

Prikryl (Rootstown) is the favorite here. He is 2x state qualifier. Kramer from S Range and Garner from Western Reserve look good to go to Garfield Hts. Of the rest of the field I would have to say Biltz (Waterloo) caught my eye.

Fox (Waterloo) and Coppersmith (Crestview) are the top 2 here. They have traded wins this season with Fox winning in a conso match at the EOWL and Coppersmith winning in the MVAC tourney. Youngblood (Rootstown) will look to get some team points and will have a dogfight with Blissenbach (Southern), Baker (United) and Jones (Western Reserve) for the 3 spot.

Coontz (Rootstown), Wonner (Crestview), Maali (S Range) and Wooley (Southern) are all returning district qualifiers. Coontz was a champ at 132 last year and I look for him to win it again.

White (Rootstown) looks to be the best here. He is a returning state qualifier. Harrison (Crestview) is a returning district qualifier, up at 170 last year. Dickey (Southern), Finney (Waterloo) and Brown (Southern Local) round out the field. I look for someone not named to sneak in at this weight.

Last edited: